SiouxSports.com Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Frozen4sioux

University of North Dakota Hockey 2017-18 Season

11 hours ago, Oxbow6 said:

Bast out til mid October recovering for shoulder surgery. He has been injured a lot the past couple years. 

For or from? Is he letting swelling go down to get surgery or recovering from surgery?

1 hour ago, bigskyvikes said:

For or from? Is he letting swelling go down to get surgery or recovering from surgery?

Recovering from

On 9/21/2017 at 10:15 PM, Wilbur said:

As Wolanin goes, so will this team.  Guy has got unreal talent.  Can't wait to watch the kid break out this year.  Likely his last year in Grand Forks.  

Agree with this.

Looking at the defense UND has returning, circle Wolanin. The is how I'd rank the returners, based on sticking them on any great defense.

• Poolman (2/3) - Best freshman season since Chorney, the guy was so solid.
  • Shaw (4) - Had the most improvement, comparable to Gersish, like Poolman, solid.
  • Peski (5)
  • Johnson (6/7)

Wolanin has a chance to be a legit #1 defenseman on the good defense, he has so much skill. If that takes place, you have to start filling in the spots. Like the rest of the team, it might be about depth. If Wolanin doesn't improve his defense immensely, he could still be around a 3/4 on a solid club. UND will need at least one freshman to push for the 5/6 spot, if the other is in 6/7 range, they are still looking good. 

18 minutes ago, AJS said:

Agree with this.

Looking at the defense UND has returning, circle Wolanin. The is how I'd rank the returners, based on sticking them on any great defense.

• Poolman (2/3) - Best freshman season since Chorney, the guy was so solid.
  • Shaw (4) - Had the most improvement, comparable to Gersish, like Poolman, solid.
  • Peski (5)
  • Johnson (6/7)

Wolanin has a chance to be a legit #1 defenseman on the good defense, he has so much skill. If that takes place, you have to start filling in the spots. Like the rest of the team, it might be about depth. If Wolanin doesn't improve his defense immensely, he could still be around a 3/4 on a solid club. UND will need at least one freshman to push for the 5/6 spot, if the other is in 6/7 range, they are still looking good. 

I didn't think Poolman played like a freshman last year, more like a sophomore 

26 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

No freshman D in 15+ years improved more from game 1 to then end of the season than Peski. 

I totally agree and I liked him at the start of the year. Had some bumps in the road but really came on in the second half. D should be really solid all season minus any injuries 

1 hour ago, Oxbow6 said:

No freshman D in 15+ years improved more from game 1 to then end of the season than Peski. 

I could not believe the transformation.  I was tough on the young kid, and I'll happily eat crow and say he was the most improved player on last year's team. 

With Cam being a Senior, does anyone else hope that Thome gets a chance early? I'd like to see him get 20% of the starts. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, AJS said:

With Cam being a Senior, does anyone else hope that Thome gets a chance early? I'd like to see him get 20% of the starts. 

Only way that happens is if Cam plays poorly.  You're talking about a national champion goalie; its been his net for the past two seasons.  No way you rotate now in order to give the new guy some reps.  ONLY way is poor play out of Cam and poor team results.

• Upvote 3

A week to go until the season starts. Let's get a 5 keys to the season convo going.

Ready. Set. Go.

1. Scoring

2. Freshmen adapting to the college game

3. JR/SR forwards stepping up - Olson, Simo etc.

4. Thome - Need to get some reaps in net

5. Power Play, can we have a good one fore once? 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, SiouxForever said:

A week to go until the season starts. Let's get a 5 keys to the season convo going.

Ready. Set. Go.

1. Scoring

2. Freshmen adapting to the college game

3. JR/SR forwards stepping up - Olson, Simo etc.

4. Thome - Need to get some reaps in net

5. Power Play, can we have a good one fore once? 

Regarding the power play and the trend for about the last 15 years, I'll say UND once again won't have a good power play. 

My 5 keys:

1. Out of the "core" group of returning forwards that have produced at this level (Gersich, Poganski, Gardner, JJ, Hoff), we need one break out (15+ points), two with modest improvement (7-12 points) and the other two with slight improvements (5pts). What hurt this team last year is the decrease in production from Boeser and the stagnant point production from Poganski / Gardner.

2. Outside of the "core" group, we need one player to have a break out year. 

3. Freshman forwards, two of the four need to adapt quickly and produce right away

4. Wolanin needs to break out, he has all conference potential. Sticking on the defensive side, either Peski / Johnson need to have a Shaw like improvement. 

5. One of the freshman Dman needs to adapt quickly and assert themselves into the rotation  

13 minutes ago, Siouxper187 said:

Does anyone know when the new NCHC.tv app will be available? Will the Manitoba be streamed?

They have streamed it in the past.

1 hour ago, cberkas said:

The offsides that cost UND a win in Fargo would have not been reviewable under the new rules.

https://t.co/TaHAIGzeZa

The dives they show are classic, especially the Gophers one.

Unreal the two teams they show examples of DIVING! 

I called this new rule (right after that happened) of offside review no good if other team possesses the puck! Dam!

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, bigskyvikes said:

Unreal the two teams they show examples of DIVING! 

I called this new rule of offside review no good if other team possesses the puck! Dam!

Watch the NHL pick the new offsides review rule now.

That Minnesota dive had everything, threw his head back, fell like he was shot, then grabbed his head, and once he realized the puck was going the other way he was healed like nothing happened. That what it takes to wear an "A" at Minnesota. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

1 minute ago, dagies said:

Bulldogs and Gophers.  They didn't have to look long and hard, did they....

The one of Osterberg against us at the Target Center was even more blatant.  

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, dagies said:

Bulldogs and Gophers.  They didn't have to look long and hard, did they....

They could show numerous plays from Duluth last season with the points of emphasis they discussed.  Can't believe the Avery Peterson play didn't make the video.....or Tontinato having to be restrained by officials....or Pionks numerous headshots/running over goaltender (respecting the game?)

There is zero chance the officials call the obstruction interference the way the video discusses it.....The penalty boxes at AMSOIL aren't big enough.  

11 hours ago, tnt said:

The one of Osterberg against us at the Target Center was even more blatant.  

To be fair, they could have shown 10 clips each of just Osterberg and Toninato from UMD last year, but that would have made the video monotonous. 

23 hours ago, Siouxper187 said:

Does anyone know when the new NCHC.tv app will be available? Will the Manitoba be streamed?

I was able to download the NCHC.TV app this morning, FYI