SiouxSports.com Forum

University of North Dakota Hockey 2017-18 Season

Frozen4sioux

1 minute ago, Oxbow6 said:

JJ played a top 6 role this season.......................Bowen will be better than him next year IMO.

No way.  JJ was a point/gm guy in the USHL.  He was also hurt for a large part of the season.  Of the top 6 I listed, who does Bowen play over?

6 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

I thought Bowen/Hoff was our best combo for long stretches against BU. They made the much vaunted Daunte Fabbro look silly a couple times. 

Exactly.  Put JJ on that line and I think you have something positive and consistent most nights.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, scpa0305 said:

No way.  JJ was a point/gm guy in the USHL.  He was also hurt for a large part of the season.  Of the top 6 I listed, who does Bowen play over?

You really want to go there? I can pull the Wilkie card out if needed.  To answer your question I'm not sure but he'll be one of the 6 best forwards night in and night out next year. Book it! ;)

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, scpa0305 said:

He skates great, and brings it every time he plays.  But he doesnt bring a ton of offense.  Having a regular top 6 role (next year) is a large stretch considering the guys we have on the team.

Gersich had 9-2-11 in 37 games as a Fr, then came on this yr.

Bowen had 6*-4-10 in 36 (*not including his 7th last week)

Not a huge stretch for him to be top 6 and score 15

28 minutes ago, scpa0305 said:

1st draft:

Gersich - Hoff - Pogo (until he signs im assuming he stays)

Mismash - Rhett - Olson

JJ - Kawaguchi - Wilkie

C. Adams - Simo - Njones  - (Yes I know I'm missing Bowen in a 3rd or 4th line role, does he play over Simo? :) )

Wolanin - Peski

Poolman - Shaw

Johnson - Bast

Cam

Tomek

IMO Bowen and Yon will be top 6 forwards next year(at worst top 9) and yes of course Bowen plays over Simo

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, franchise said:

Gersich had 9-2-11 in 37 games as a Fr, then came on this yr.

Bowen had 6*-4-10 in 36 (*not including his 7th last week)

Not a huge stretch for him to be top 6 and score 15

Please don't compare Bowen to Gersich :)  Gersich has had all the accolades since he was 12 years old.

3 minutes ago, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

IMO Bowen and Yon will be top 6 forwards next year(at worst top 9) and yes of course Bowen plays over Simo

Both top 6?  Who's moving down?  I mean I already thought it was crazy enough having Adams on the 4th.  He's better than both those boys right now.

What do we mean by top 6 forwards?  Do we mean will they be in the top 6 forwards in production, or will they be thrown out there in certain offensive situations.  I can easily see Bowen and Yon thrown out there early and often when you need the energy to get the team and crowd going.  I don't necessarily know if either or both of them will be 10 goal scorers, but we didn't have a lot of them this year either.  Regardless, I like what they bring to the team, and there is always that potential to take that step to producing in the 10 goal range. 

1 minute ago, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

Yeah I'd agree with that. I didn't realize but we actually have some strength up the left side next year!

But I think we are really fragile up the middle. Losing Jost really hurts up the middle. Gardner will never be the #1 center. He is a good fit centering a second line with some more power forward type wingers but isn't fit to center a top line with a guy like Gersich on his wing. Not sure who fits that top center role as of now but hopefully Hoff can be that guy. As has been said, it looks like a scoring/forward by committee/depth type squad next year with no superstars (although Gersich very well could be I just worry with no legit #1 center to play with).

7 minutes ago, scpa0305 said:

Please don't compare Bowen to Gersich :)  Gersich has had all the accolades since he was 12 years old.

I had an unreal track and field day when I was 12, but didn't end up building off that. My wife didn't run until she was a freshman and track ended up paying for her college. Guess accolades don't always matter...haha

1 minute ago, I Ranger said:

But I think we are really fragile up the middle. Losing Jost really hurts up the middle. Gardner will never be the #1 center. He is a good fit centering a second line with some more power forward type wingers but isn't fit to center a top line with a guy like Gersich on his wing. Not sure who fits that top center role as of now but hopefully Hoff can be that guy. As has been said, it looks like a scoring/forward by committee/depth type squad next year with no superstars (although Gersich very well could be I just worry with no legit #1 center to play with).

Yup, good points. Can JJ play center?

5 minutes ago, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

Yeah I'd agree with that. I didn't realize but we actually have some strength up the left side next year!

I feel like we have a lot of average to good scorers and the potential is there for some consistent offense.

Top scorers:
- Gersich
- Pogo (PLEASE STAY)

Should make a big step:
- Rhett
- Hoff

Could make a big step:
- JJ
- Bowen
- Yon
- Wilkie.... pleeeeeeeease

11 minutes ago, franchise said:

I had an unreal track and field day when I was 12, but didn't end up building off that. My wife didn't run until she was a freshman and track ended up paying for her college. Guess accolades don't always matter...haha

It did for him.  And I doubt you were on gersich's level.

Looking at this a slightly different way...

Last season North Dakota scored 127 goals.  They should do better defensively next season (allowed 104 goals last season), so if they can score the same number of goals (or slightly more), they should have a better record/seed in the NCAA Tournament. 

Boeser, Jost, and Ausmus accounted for 34 goals.  Pogo (12) and Poolman (7) accounted for another 19.  If we lose Pogo and Poolman (as it sounds is likely) that means they need to replace 53 goals.  It's unlikely that Gersich will score more than 21, and there is a decent chance he drops a bit..so say we need to replace 55-60 goals.

A good freshman season typically translates to about 8-12 goals.  I believe Mismash and Kawaguchi are capable of those numbers, so let's say they combine for 20 goals.  The remaining freshman may put up 4-5 goals apiece.  For the sake of argument, let's say our incoming freshman class puts up 30 goals next season.  So, we need 25-30 goals in improvement from the rest of the team to equal last season's goal totals.  Who improves (and by how much) next season to equal last season's goal totals?

2 minutes ago, Fighting Sioux 23 said:

Looking at this a slightly different way...

Last season North Dakota scored 127 goals.  They should do better defensively next season (allowed 104 goals last season), so if they can score the same number of goals (or slightly more), they should have a better record/seed in the NCAA Tournament. 

Boeser, Jost, and Ausmus accounted for 34 goals.  Pogo (12) and Poolman (7) accounted for another 19.  If we lose Pogo and Poolman (as it sounds is likely) that means they need to replace 53 goals.  It's unlikely that Gersich will score more than 21, and there is a decent chance he drops a bit..so say we need to replace 55-60 goals.

A good freshman season typically translates to about 8-12 goals.  I believe Mismash and Kawaguchi are capable of those numbers, so let's say they combine for 20 goals.  The remaining freshman may put up 4-5 goals apiece.  For the sake of argument, let's say our incoming freshman class puts up 30 goals next season.  So, we need 25-30 goals in improvement from the rest of the team to equal last season's goal totals.  Who improves (and by how much) next season to equal last season's goal totals?

JJ, Rhett, Hoff, Bowen, Olson, Yon will FOR SURE get us 30+ goals. Not even a doubt in my mind.

1 minute ago, stoneySIOUX said:

JJ, Rhett, Hoff, Bowen, Olson, Yon will FOR SURE get us 30+ goals. Not even a doubt in my mind.

Well, not just scoring 30+ goals, but improving by 30+ goals.  If they were to each average 5 additional goals from last season (and getting 30 extra), it would look like this:

JJ - 13 goals

Rhett - 13 goals

Hoff - 9 goals

Bowen - 11 goals

Olson - 11 goals

Yon - 8 goals.

That is certainly doable, and I would say if those players produced as such, we would be having a very, very good year next year.  :)

1 minute ago, Fighting Sioux 23 said:

Well, not just scoring 30+ goals, but improving by 30+ goals.  If they were to each average 5 additional goals from last season (and getting 30 extra), it would look like this:

JJ - 13 goals

Rhett - 13 goals

Hoff - 9 goals

Bowen - 11 goals

Olson - 11 goals

Yon - 8 goals.

That is certainly doable, and I would say if those players produced as such, we would be having a very, very good year next year.  :)

I think these numbers are absolutely attainable for all of these players listed.

Without looking I was thinking goals from the defense may go up.  You lose Tucker but everyone else, none of whom are defense-only mashers, matures.  Then I looked and the numbers aren't as encouraging. 

Goals from the defense last year: 19

Goals from the defense in 2015-16:  26

Hard to see doing much better than that group a few years ago.