SiouxSports.com Forum

University of North Dakota Hockey 2017-18 Season

Frozen4sioux

What announcement are all of you talking about?  UND hasn't made an announcement, Gornall hasn't made an announcement, although he did tell the team this week.

Schloss learned about it on gameday and published a story.  That doesn't mean it happened yesterday.

6 minutes ago, southpaw said:

What announcement are all of you talking about?  UND hasn't made an announcement, Gornall hasn't made an announcement, although he did tell the team this week.

Schloss learned about it on gameday and published a story.  That doesn't mean it happened yesterday.

I'd say UND has made an announcement since the official UND hockey twitter account tweeted it out yesterday. And that comes from Athletic Dept.

• Like 1

I know UND is only 4 games into the season and their competition will get much tougher, but at the beginning of the year, my keys defensively were.

• Wolanin becomes an elite defenseman, an All Conference type player
  • Shaw / Poolman improve slightly
  • Either Peski / Johnson take the next step and become a solid Top 4 pair guy
  • One freshman step up and become a guy that can be counted on night in and night out, with another of the remaining two being a solid 7th guy

It's rare to check all of the boxes, but UND might surpass what I had hoped at the beginning of the year. 

• Wolanin is a stud
  • Poolman hasn't missed a beat
  • Peski / Johnson have both improved dramatically, Peski is a legit Top 4 guy and Johnson could be as well
  • Kierstad has impressed me and we haven't even gotten to see Bast yet

This is going to be a very good unit this year. 

• Upvote 1

On 10/14/2017 at 11:25 PM, AJS said:

I know UND is only 4 games into the season and their competition will get much tougher, but at the beginning of the year, my keys defensively were.

• One freshman step up and become a guy that can be counted on night in and night out, with another of the remaining two being a solid 7th guy

It's rare to check all of the boxes, but UND might surpass what I had hoped at the beginning of the year. 

• Wolanin is a stud
  • Peski / Johnson have both improved dramatically, Peski is a legit Top 4 guy and Johnson could be as well

And Bast hasn't played a minute yet...

On 10/14/2017 at 11:25 PM, AJS said:

• Wolanin is a stud

Rieger certainly didn't look out of place last weekend either.  There were a couple times he pinched when I didn't think it was prudent, but the fact that he wasn't afraid to play is a good thing, rather than being timid and playing just to not make a mistake. 

• Like 1

Have you guys noticed they show penalty and goals under review replays this season on the jumbo Tron? First time I've ever witnessed that in many many years at the REA!

Also the REA's pregame shows heavy checking/hits again! Remember they quit doing that because its forming a "bad/violent atmosphere" 

I love the new pregame stuff and music this year!

On ‎10‎/‎14‎/‎2017 at 11:25 PM, AJS said:

• Wolanin is a stud

I would even go as far as saying Wolanin is the most gifted offensive player on the team.

6 minutes ago, Mhockey said:

How is bast skill wise compared to the other defensive recruited this year? 3 and 20 look pretty good!

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but he was thought to be the best incoming freshman d-man. High offensive upside and solid defensively (compared to Troy Stecher).