SiouxSports.com Forum

University of North Dakota Hockey 2017-18 Season

Frozen4sioux

With the roster set, here are my line combinations for forwards.

Mismash (FR) - Gardner (JR) - Poganski (SR)  

Gersich (JR) - Hoff (SO) - Kawaguchi (FR) 

Janatuinen (JR) - Jones (JR) - Bowen (SO)

Olson (SR) - Simonson (SR) - Smith (SO)

Adams (FR) - Either him or Kawaguchi on 2nd line, also fill in for Bowen on 3rd, he'll definitely get his minutes

Yon (SO) - Potential 3rd line

Gornall (JR) - Potential 4th line

My goal was to have two upperclassman on each line, with one underclassman. Only the 2nd line doesn't meet that criteria, but Hoff was solid and a freshman and is the 2nd best center on the team. This team with so many forwards returning and a big core of proven (not elite, but proven) talent, should be the deepest forward group in years. 

2 hours ago, Oxbow6 said:

Adams won't sit

Agree, with the caveat that his effort isn't lacking.  The great part of having the depth they have this year is being able to send a message to any player that isn't perceived to have given maximum effort.  Sometimes rookies have to learn the difference between what they perceive as working hard, and actual maximum effort.  

I'm of two minds on this year's team.

On the optimistic side, the team that showed up to play the last three games of last year was simply outstanding, and that evaluation doesn't have much to do with Boeser and Jost.  Top to bottom, and from the net out, every player seemed to be playing championship style hockey.  When they beat Denver in a beauty of a game to watch, I was pretty sure only Denver stood between UND and another national title.  Of course I was wrong, but not by much.  The ensuing loss to Duluth was a story of Poolman's injury and the team's adjustment to it.  They were rattled, but regained their composure.  And I can't complain about any aspect of their play against BU.  Sometimes these unjust results happen in hockey.  (Both ways.  See UND's win over Ferris in the regionals a few years ago.)  That's a roundabout way of getting to my point, which is that UND was a very good team at the end of last year, and a lot of that team is back.  I personally think they're underrated both in the conference and nationally.

On the other hand, stepping back to look at the bigger picture, this team resembles more the teams from the "in between years", those after the Parise/Toews/Oshie talent bubble and before the Caggiula/Schmaltz/Boeser run, than it does any of those loaded teams.  When Spring arrived, I thought every one of those in-between-year teams had a chance to win it all, but most of them failed to even make the Frozen Four.  These were the Yale, UNH type of exits. 

Which of me is right?  We'll see in due time.

1 hour ago, jk said:

On the other hand, stepping back to look at the bigger picture, this team resembles more the teams from the "in between years", those after the Parise/Toews/Oshie talent bubble and before the Caggiula/Schmaltz/Boeser run, than it does any of those loaded teams.  When Spring arrived, I thought every one of those in-between-year teams had a chance to win it all, but most of them failed to even make the Frozen Four.  These were the Yale, UNH type of exits.

I do not think this team is like the teams that lost to Yale and UNH. I think you are looking at this team with the assumption that if we don't have a roster full of 1st round draft choices, then we aren't good enough to make a run at #9. The teams you are referencing did not have the kind of depth this team will have. They also lacked overall scoring punch, which this team should not lack. Of course, some of this is dependent on how quickly the freshmen adapt to the college game.

3 hours ago, jk said:

On the optimistic side, the team that showed up to play the last three games of last year was simply outstanding, and that evaluation doesn't have much to do with Boeser and Jost.  Top to bottom, and from the net out, every player seemed to be playing championship style hockey.  When they beat Denver in a beauty of a game to watch, I was pretty sure only Denver stood between UND and another national title.  Of course I was wrong, but not by much.  The ensuing loss to Duluth was a story of Poolman's injury and the team's adjustment to it.  They were rattled, but regained their composure.  And I can't complain about any aspect of their play against BU.  Sometimes these unjust results happen in hockey.  (Both ways.  See UND's win over Ferris in the regionals a few years ago.)  That's a roundabout way of getting to my point, which is that UND was a very good team at the end of last year, and a lot of that team is back.  I personally think they're underrated both in the conference and nationally.

I think the team was adjusting fine to the Poolman loss, I think it was more frustration on the sh*t Duluth was pulling and getting away with. 

On 9/26/2017 at 12:43 PM, UNDBIZ said:

Due to the angle, I'm still not positive we were an inch offside.  That was my biggest problem with the call.

Based on the evidence provided I think it may have been offsides.  But the available images were far from conclusive and should never have resulted in a reversed call.

• Upvote 3

On 9/25/2017 at 9:46 PM, Wilbur said:

They could show numerous plays from Duluth last season with the points of emphasis they discussed.  Can't believe the Avery Peterson play didn't make the video.....or Tontinato having to be restrained by officials....or Pionks numerous headshots/running over goaltender (respecting the game?)

There is zero chance the officials call the obstruction interference the way the video discusses it.....The penalty boxes at AMSOIL aren't big enough.  

I hope UND absolutely blows UMD out of the water this year. If I had to chose a sweep between them and the goofs, I would have to think long and thorough. 

4 hours ago, jk said:

One of those "in-between" years we had the best team in college hockey but lost in the semi-final to Michigan.  This team might resemble that Pony Express team...they were deep.

If Gersich can break out into a Frattin type year, and Garner and/or Pogo play the Malone/Knight role...Wolanin as Genoway...

On 9/26/2017 at 1:57 PM, Feff said:

That was my biggest beef with the overturned goal. There is no way you can say with that video evidence that there was indisputable proof UND was offside. If you can't say beyond the shadow of a doubt, then simply leave it as it stands. Especially with the linesman right on the blue line looking down and making that call. You're saying a crappy camera angle can do his job better than he can on the ice. 

If they had to keep replaying it and discussing it for 10+ minutes (or whatever it was) then I feel like that falls under the label of disputable.

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, UND1981 said:

Brad S. from the Herald picking us to finish 4th in the NCHC.  I respectfully disagree.

Who does he have 3rd? I think UND will finish 2nd, but could see people pick them 3rd giving SCSU the #2 spot. I can't think of another team that would be in the discussion for Top 3 outside of Denver, SCSU, UND.

10 minutes ago, AJS said:

Who does he have 3rd? I think UND will finish 2nd, but could see people pick them 3rd giving SCSU the #2 spot. I can't think of another team that would be in the discussion for Top 3 outside of Denver, SCSU, UND.

http://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/und-hockey/4335153-college-hockey-preview-predictions-and-conference-breakdowns

He has Duluth at third, which I just don't see with all the seniors that they lost.  Anything can happen, but I think they struggle for home ice.
SCSU at 2nd...I know everyone is talking about how good their d-corps will be, but I'm just not seeing the offensive depth...especially when compared to DU and UND.

My thoughts...I think DU wins the league (not a hard conclusion with what they return), but I think UND has the best chance at 2nd and could be mighty dangerous come playoff-time.

3 hours ago, AJS said:

UMD, Brad always has a hard-on for them. I'm surprised he didn't have them battling Denver for #1!

1 hour ago, brianvf said:

He has Duluth at third, which I just don't see with all the seniors that they lost.  Anything can happen, but I think they struggle for home ice.
SCSU at 2nd...I know everyone is talking about how good their d-corps will be, but I'm just not seeing the offensive depth...especially when compared to DU and UND.

My thoughts...I think DU wins the league (not a hard conclusion with what they return), but I think UND has the best chance at 2nd and could be mighty dangerous come playoff-time.

St. Cloud returns about 96% of their scoring.