SiouxSports.com Forum

University of North Dakota Hockey 2017-18 Season

Frozen4sioux

1 hour ago, UNDBIZ said:

Due to the angle, I'm still not positive we were an inch offside.  That was my biggest problem with the call.

Yup, the rule should just be 'Offsides play can be overturned if conclusive evidence the player is offsides can be provided USING THE CAMERA DOWN THE BLUE LINE.'

That'll eliminate the officials trying to separate pixels from a '90s-quality video camera 200 feet on the other side of the arena.

12 minutes ago, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

Yup, the rule should just be 'Offsides play can be overturned if conclusive evidence the player is offsides can be provided USING THE CAMERA DOWN THE BLUE LINE.'

That'll eliminate the officials trying to separate pixels from a '90s-quality video camera 200 feet on the other side of the arena.

That was my biggest beef with the overturned goal. There is no way you can say with that video evidence that there was indisputable proof UND was offside. If you can't say beyond the shadow of a doubt, then simply leave it as it stands. Especially with the linesman right on the blue line looking down and making that call. You're saying a crappy camera angle can do his job better than he can on the ice. 

1 hour ago, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

Do all rinks have camera's down the blue line, or are you talking in the NHL?

13 minutes ago, 90siouxfan said:

Do all rinks have camera's down the blue line, or are you talking in the NHL?

I was referring to the main broadcast camera in this case. Not all cameras have cameras on the blue line. I just think there should be some standard of what resolution and distance from the place the camera has to be so you don't have referees making questionable judgement calls like in this case.

2 hours ago, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

Remember that's how Omaha lost to Michigan in OT in the NCAA's.

4 hours ago, cberkas said:

An inch offside is still offside, the best part of the rule change is that BU had a chance to clear the zone and couldn't. 

Now the NCHC should look into issuing a penalty for losing a challenge like the NHL is going to do.

This might be the dumbest NHL rule change ever.  They are going to penalize a team for not seeing things the same way as a ref.  I've seen too many times a play not get over turned when everyone except the ref sees it the other way.

6 minutes ago, Big Green said:

This might be the dumbest NHL rule change ever.  They are going to penalize a team for not seeing things the same way as a ref.  I've seen too many times a play not get over turned when everyone except the ref sees it the other way.

It gets reviewed, so it is more than what the refs sees!

This is a great rule chance, no more gambling on the call, if they believe it was offsides then challenge it, no more let's hope it was offsides!

17 minutes ago, Big Green said:

Lets say a coach needs to get more rest for his players, so he decides to challenge a call on the ice. Lets say there's a icing but the coach says there should have been an offsides called knowing he's just buying time to get more rest for his players. The NHL rule give you a penalty for being wrong on a challenge. 

14 hours ago, cberkas said:

Lets say a coach needs to get more rest for his players, so he decides to challenge a call on the ice. Lets say there's a icing but the coach says there should have been an offsides called knowing he's just buying time to get more rest for his players. The NHL rule give you a penalty for being wrong on a challenge. 

I pretty sure if you lost a chalange you lost your time out for the game.  To me that is enough.  It seems the NHL is trying to correct a problem when there wasn't one.

16 hours ago, cberkas said:

I see a potential problem that if it is very close and you have the stipulation of indisputable evidence, are they going to go with overturning the call rather than possibly giving the team asking for the challenge the double whammy by putting them in the penalty box as well.   Since all goals are checked in the NCAA hockey tournament, there wouldn't be any penalties there anyway, and even if they weren't checked, BU would have challenged anyway because they had nothing to lose.  

I'm so excited about this freshman class, no "blue chippers", but a class you would clone and take every year. Highly skilled, but not prototypical NHL size that teams (NHL) love. Should be great college hockey players that will be in the system 3 / 4 years.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, AJS said:

I'm so excited about this freshman class, no "blue chippers", but a class you would clone and take every year. Highly skilled, but not prototypical NHL size that teams (NHL) love. Should be great college hockey players that will be in the system 3 / 4 years.

Sounds like a recipe for some big-time success in a couple years. Need a blue chipper or 2 to round that out and it sounds like our pipeline may have that. Love this fact. Makes me excited.

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, AJS said:

Kind of like we had back in the mid to late 1990's. I seem to recall us filling the trophy case during those years. :)

3 hours ago, AJS said:

I gotta give Mismash blue chip status.  He is a second round NHLer...

18 minutes ago, yzerman19 said:

I gotta give Mismash blue chip status.  He is a second round NHLer...

Fair, everyone is a little different on how they define blue chip status. Mine would be truly elite, I don't think Mismash qualifies, great player though.