SiouxSports.com Forum

University of North Dakota Hockey 2017-18 Season

Frozen4sioux

On 7/8/2017 at 11:03 AM, scpa0305 said:

I guess Wolanin is shining at the Sens development camp.  From what I read it sounds as though he'll only be back for one more year.

He could lead the nation in scoring by a defenseman, or he could end up a healthy scratch a time or two.  I think if he plays like he can he'll be the best player on the team.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

He could lead the nation in scoring by a defenseman, or he could end up a healthy scratch a time or two.  I think if he plays like he can he'll be the best player on the team.

With the early departures on defense his and Shaw's role were increased quite a bit from their freshman to sophomore years. I look for both to be much improved this season.

High praise for Gersich from Capitals camp.  Via Rotoworld:

Shane Gersich had a strong showing in the Capitals' rookie camp.

He was one of our best players if not the best player at camp," Capitals GM Brian MacLellan said in a conference call with reporters Monday. "Really happy about the way he's progressed and where we picked him. I think Ross Mahoney did a great job with that pick." Washington drafted Gersich with the 134th overall pick in the 2014 NHL Entry Draft. He broke out last season though with 21 goals and 37 points in 40 games as a sophomore with the University of North Dakota. Gersich is looking like a potential steal, but he plans to stay in college for his junior season so he won't be signing an entry-level contract in the near future.

4 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Yup. He or Eidsness.

Is Eidsness still in Grand Forks? If I recall, Goehring wasn't getting paid, he was a volunteer coach (correct? or am I way off?). I would assume that would mean whomever is going to replace him, would have to have other employment in the area.

Just now, siouxfan512 said:

Is Eidsness still in Grand Forks? If I recall, Goehring wasn't getting paid, he was a volunteer coach (correct? or am I way off?). I would assume that would mean whomever is going to replace him, would have to have other employment in the area.

Wasn't he doing grad school at UND? I could be wrong.

On 7/9/2017 at 0:58 AM, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

His upside is huge, could be one of the best offensive dmen in the country. That said, there was times he was gripping the stick pretty tightly last year & letting the puck get out of the zone at the point. Starman noticed it too in a series at The Ralph. However his game against BU really showed what he is capable of and it'll be exciting to see the strides he makes this coming year.

Well if Starman said it then it has to be true.......

6 hours ago, ksl_sioux4ever said:

Anyone hear any news on the goalie coach? I heard some possible alarming news?

5 hours ago, ksl_sioux4ever said:

Guess not. Anyways apparently Karl is leaving und 

Nice scoop!  Almost 6 hours before it made the official headlines.  

http://www.thedickinsonpress.com/sports/und-hockey/4296141-unds-goehring-join-tampa-bay-lightning-organization

20 hours ago, siouxfan512 said:

He's was a volunteer in the NCAA's eyes but he got paid. For Brandt to take over the position he would need to get paid pretty good as he has a nice insurance business in Brainard. I could see it come down to Kollar, Eidsness or Lammy (this could be the job that gets him to retire from playing overseas).

28 minutes ago, siouxkid12 said:

He's was a volunteer in the NCAA's eyes but he got paid. For Brandt to take over the position he would need to get paid pretty good as he has a nice insurance business in Brainard. I could see it come down to Kollar, Eidsness or Lammy (this could be the job that gets him to retire from playing overseas).

I don't think a volunteer position is getting anyone to retire from their playing career. It has to be a convenience for someone like it was for Goehring who was living in GF and working in another field who had the time and desire to help out the program.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, I Ranger said:

I don't think a volunteer position is getting anyone to retire from their playing career. It has to be a convenience for someone like it was for Goehring who was living in GF and working in another field who had the time and desire to help out the program.

Yeah, probably not, but maybe he's got something he can do back home and then get his foot in the door in the coaching world?