SiouxSports.com Forum

If Not Us, Then Who?

stoneySIOUX

2 hours ago, UNDHawks4life said:

What is wrong with you?

All im saying is that if every year UND wins a national championship and every year the gophers dont make it to the tournament or lose in the first round, its bad for the rivalry. 

Example: UND vs NDSU football is irrelevant now days because NDSU is so much better. It might matter to a bunch of 60 year olds but do you think the students care at all??? NO. 

All im saying is that i love the rivalry and having it be competitive is a good thing. The real "troll" here is you because every time someone has a differing opinon you have to shut them down and demean them. Grow up. 

Are you trolling?  Did you go to the NDSU UND game in Fargo?  I guarantee you the rivalry is not dead and probably never will be.  I knew people of all ages from both sides going to fargo to experience it.  Just wait until the first NDSU UND game in Grand Forks it will be packed to the rafters.  And yes the students do care because they have been the ones calling for it for a long time.  Remember the first basketball game against NDSU at the Ralph when chants started out to renew the rivalry from the NDSU and UND students.  So yea you are grossly misinformed here.  

• Upvote 3

4 hours ago, UNDHawks4life said:

I think it would be good for the UND v UofM rivalry if the gophers won this year. If we keep winning and they keep losing it will lose its luster after a while lol

Never good for the gophers to win it all. It is good for them to be successful enough to be relevant, but to always play the role of little brother to us :)

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

8 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

So, has UMD supplanted Minny, DU and Wisconsin as our most hated rivals?

I'm not ready to go there yet lol. 

Nope, not even close yet. Way to much history with the other schools. UMD is next on the list though. 

I'm thinking Sandelin has burned a lot of bridges in GF though.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, UNDHawks4life said:

What is wrong with you?

All im saying is that if every year UND wins a national championship and every year the gophers dont make it to the tournament or lose in the first round, its bad for the rivalry. 

Example: UND vs NDSU football is irrelevant now days because NDSU is so much better. It might matter to a bunch of 60 year olds but do you think the students care at all??? NO. 

All im saying is that i love the rivalry and having it be competitive is a good thing. The real "troll" here is you because every time someone has a differing opinon you have to shut them down and demean them. Grow up. 

I am going to stop you right there. During the transition and the first two years after the transition you would be correct, but that is a total of six years which is nothing in the grand scheme of things. Reality is UND football is on the upswing and I truly believe we will be competing on their level very soon. Actually, your whole post is wrong so I probably should have bolded the whole thing.

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, UNDHawks4life said:

UND v NDSU football was one if the biggest rivalries in college sports. Saying it was intense when they played last time is ridiculous because it was a forgone conclusion that NDSU would win, and they did, 34-9.  I dont see how that is something a "troll" would say. Im a vikings fan and i hope the packers are always good because it feels better when we beat them when they are good. If UND dominates the rivalry it is no longer a rivalry.

You got a problem with 60 year olds?  We had two national championships when I was a student (okay, it took seven years of being a student...) Oh, and I'd throw up in my mouth a little if I ever called the Sioux the Hawks, dammit there it goes, aagh!

• Upvote 4

5 hours ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Saw this in the West Regional thread and I thought it'd be a fun one to separate. So, if our boys don't hang No. 9, who of the other 15 teams in the tourney would you most/least like to see win the national championship?

Here's my order from whom I'd like to most see win:

1 -- Air Force -- USA! USA! USA! 
2 -- Union -- I'm originally from the town where they play and after they beat Minny after 0.6, I've been on board
3 -- Michigan Tech
4 -- Notre Dame -- My favorite College Football (FBS) team, so I'm always ok with them winning
5 -- Mass-Lowell
6 -- Cornell
7 -- Harvard
8 -- Providence -- May move them lower because it's annoying they are playing in Providence as a No. 4 again, when they aren't hosting
9 -- Penn State -- I'd have them near the top if I didn't want to give the Bi6 any credit :D
10 -- OSU -- See PSU
11 -- Western Michigan -- I don't do the whole "I want my conference to win it" thing. I never understood wanting your rivals to win. 
12 -- BU -- Ick
13 -- UMD -- Lost a lot of respect for this team this weekend
14 -- DU -- I hate Denver. Always have, always will
15 -- Minnesota -- Duh

1 - Air Force -- 'Merica!

2 - W. Michigan -- Would be cool to see a new team win it.

3 - Mich Tech -- Pearson has done a nice job with that program.

4 - Union -- Small school has risen to being very competitive, and the beat the Goofs two years ago.

5 - OSU

6 - Notre Dame -- Grossly ugly hockey helmets. Lucia's alma mater. Blah.

7 - Penn State -- Needs to take some bumps, and be in the league longer before I want to see them win it all.

8-11 - Mass-Lowell, Cornell, Harvard, Providence -- Eastern Schools; the media just loves them though.

12 - BU -- Eastern School, Diaper Dandies, the Eichel year, its BU, Yuck

13 - UMD -- Lost respect for UMD, Lost respect for Sandelin, Disgusted by DHG, I'm sure all 8 of their fans would be very happy.

14 - DU -- Hate em. Great rivalry. Hate em. Don't need them having as many titles as us.

15 -- Like Stony said, Duh. Glad they are in the tourney, its entertaining to watch them exit early.

6 hours ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Saw this in the West Regional thread and I thought it'd be a fun one to separate. So, if our boys don't hang No. 9, who of the other 15 teams in the tourney would you most/least like to see win the national championship?

2 -- Union -- I'm originally from the town where they play and after they beat Minny after 0.6, I've been on board
3 -- Michigan Tech
4 -- Notre Dame -- My favorite College Football (FBS) team, so I'm always ok with them winning
5 -- Mass-Lowell
6 -- Cornell
7 -- Harvard
8 -- Providence -- May move them lower because it's annoying they are playing in Providence as a No. 4 again, when they aren't hosting
9 -- Penn State -- I'd have them near the top if I didn't want to give the Bi6 any credit :D
10 -- OSU -- See PSU
11 -- Western Michigan -- I don't do the whole "I want my conference to win it" thing. I never understood wanting your rivals to win. 
12 -- BU -- Ick
15 -- Minnesota -- Duh

I'll go
1. Air Force-Really like Serratore and love the way they compete.
2. Michigan Tech-They were at the bottom of the WCHA basically my whole life good to see them have success.
3. Denver-Good team, skilled players, and fun to watch still don't like them though
4. Minnesota-Rivalry is more fun when they are good as long as success isn't against us whatever. Again still don't like them though.
5-13. WMU plus the rest of the B1G teams plus the east coasters besides BU could be put in any order don't feel strongly about any of them.
14. BU-Still hate them from the constant hype of that Eichel team.

LAST. Duluth-Hate them don't want them to beat anyone ever again.

6 hours ago, stoneySIOUX said:

3 -- Michigan Tech
5 -- Mass-Lowell
6 -- Cornell
7 -- Harvard
10 -- OSU -- See PSU
12 -- BU -- Ick
15 -- Minnesota -- Duh

Air Force

Western Michigan

Michigan Tech

Union

Harvard

Cornell

Providence

Mass-Lowell

Notre Dame

DU

OSU

Penn State

BU

UMD

Minnesota

1 minute ago, UNDMOORHEAD said:

Air Force

Western Michigan

Michigan Tech

Union UMass Lowell

Harvard

Cornell

Providence

Mass-Lowell Union

Notre Dame

DU

OSU

Penn State

BU

UMD

Minnesota

So close to mine, I just used your list ;) 

Honestly, after Cornell, you could swap the next 6 around in about any order, and I wouldn't care.  I could also bump OSU up around the Harvard spot without much of a fight.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, siouxforcefans said:

So close to mine, I just used your list ;) 

Honestly, after Cornell, you could swap the next 6 around in about any order, and I wouldn't care.  I could also bump OSU up around the Harvard spot without much of a fight.

Union helped me get over 0.6 so I put them higher. Kept the Big6 teams on the bottom. I personally wouldn't move OSU up.

• Upvote 1

16. Duluth- Never again will I be remotely happy about them getting a win over anyone.

15. Minnesota- does this really need an explanation?

14. Denver- can't have them tied with us, although I do like how they play and are fun to watch

13. BU- screw Boston

11-12.- Penn, Ohio. I don't want any success for the Big.

10-2.- I don't care.

1. UND- I'm greedy, I want at least thenext 5 titles.

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, AlphaMikeFoxtrot said:

This group of Bulldogs has definitely earned last place in this poll.  We played MN and DU this year and don't have any individual skaters to despise.  Also, Duluth winning would result in their fans claiming they should be considered among the upper echelon of teams in college hockey, and while not the case I don't want to read their poorly reasoned opinions.

Agreed. The last thing I want to hear or see is Duluth fans thumping their chests. 

I work directly with a couple DU alums and we have a nice time ribbing each other...but there is mutual respect and it has been earned on both sides. I honestly can't say the same for Duluth. I have a couple "friends" who went to Duluth and the last time I heard from either of them was the night we lost to Minny at .06. That says a lot to me.

If not us, Denver.  I have so much respect for coach Montgomery and the class his program plays with since he took over.  UND and Denver have great battles on the ice with almost zero crap since he got there.  They would have been last on my list years ago, but not anymore. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, cowboys5xsbs said:

Are you trolling?  Did you go to the NDSU UND game in Fargo?  I guarantee you the rivalry is not dead and probably never will be.  I knew people of all ages from both sides going to fargo to experience it.  Just wait until the first NDSU UND game in Grand Forks it will be packed to the rafters.  And yes the students do care because they have been the ones calling for it for a long time.  Remember the first basketball game against NDSU at the Ralph when chants started out to renew the rivalry from the NDSU and UND students.  So yea you are grossly misinformed here.  

Yes, he is.

5 minutes ago, petey23 said:

Worst case scenario.

UMD vs. Providence

DU vs. Minnesota

Best case scenario

UND vs. Air Force

Michigan Tech vs. Notre Dame

Conference Homer

UND vs. WMU

DU vs. Cornell

Purist

UND vs. Harvard

DU vs. Minnesota

I dig it all, Petey!!!

11 minutes ago, petey23 said:

Worst case scenario.

UMD vs. Providence

DU vs. Minnesota

Best case scenario

UND vs. Air Force

Michigan Tech vs. Notre Dame

Conference Homer

UND vs. WMU

DU vs. Cornell

Purist

UND vs. Harvard

DU vs. Minnesota

I like the conference homer myself. With us to win of course. 

2 hours ago, SiouxScore said:

I'll go
1. Air Force-Really like Serratore and love the way they compete.
2. Michigan Tech-They were at the bottom of the WCHA basically my whole life good to see them have success.
3. Denver-Good team, skilled players, and fun to watch still don't like them though
4. Minnesota-Rivalry is more fun when they are good as long as success isn't against us whatever. Again still don't like them though.
5-13. WMU plus the rest of the B1G teams plus the east coasters besides BU could be put in any order don't feel strongly about any of them.
14. BU-Still hate them from the constant hype of that Eichel team.

LAST. Duluth-Hate them don't want them to beat anyone ever again.

I agree with your minnesota assesment. Careful with bold opinions like that because some people *cough stoneysioux cough* might call you a troll