SiouxSports.com Forum

NORTH DAKOTA @ UMD - NCHC CHAMPIONSHIP GAMEDAY

AZSIOUX

This isn't tee ball and the opposing coach refused to let the <insert stereotype here> kid bat because the game was close.  This is division I athletics. I'd prefer to let Bubs and Co do the talking instead of all of us fans emailing their coach asking why they were mean to us. If any emails fly it should be to Don Adam demanding an explanation as to why Pionck was allowed to finish the game because it is absolutely contrary to "the league's continued focus on player safety".  And with a national audience watching on CBS Sports (and Bucci essentially live tweeting a video of the play) the officials watched the tape, gave him a 5 minute major, but didn't kick him out.  And if the league agrees that he should have been disqualified then appropriate disciplinary action should be taken against the official(s) involved. 

• Upvote 2

40 minutes ago, franchise said:

Crazy that Pionk got 5 for steamrolling Cam and Pogo gets 2 for Miska touching him and falling down.

I haven't re-watched the game, but was Poganski even in the crease?

From what I saw, he didn't go in the blue and Miska bumped him. But I might have missed something earlier.

12 minutes ago, LeftyZL said:

From what I saw, he didn't go in the blue and Miska bumped him. But I might have missed something earlier.

You didn't miss anything.  He was out of the blue paint screening and looking for a tip as he and Gardner do on every power play.  Miska skated out of his crease, bumped into Pogo, and flopped like he was shot. 

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, LeftyZL said:

It didn't look like much contact. Looked to me that pogo bumped miskas glove and miska dropped like he was slough footed 

15 minutes ago, LeftyZL said:

No, Miska came out to him.

Goon has the highlight...or lowlight video on his blog

11 hours ago, MafiaMan said:

I wouldn't go NEARLY as far as comparing this to the McSorley incident.  A nasty, dirty, cheap play, sure.  But he didn't skate behind Johnson and swing his stick at him like it was a Louisville Slugger!

Yes,   not like the McSorley assault, but still see it as an attempt to injure, moreso than any other hits from behind.

Have not seen things like that in college hockey. Could have easily caused a concussion or broken neck. Cheap shot,  not just chippy play.

• Upvote 1

I have nothing to add about the refs or UMD gooning it up as it's all been said and I agree.

I wanted to add that many UMD fans and even their band were acting like complete f'n tools for much of the game, especially after.   You would have thought they just won the national championship the way they were acting.  Poor form for sure.    Act like you've been there and had a few drinks before people.

Good Monday Morning, another exciting week ahead!

The Miska/Poganski Penalty, 

Pionck got 5 for steamrolling Cam, but he was allowed to finish the game 

Osterberg and Tonninato diving and flopping.

Towards end of game, last 2 penalties on us were weak, a small grab and a dive behind goal.

Holding Shaw's stick on the game winner, the puck goes off our skate.

And, all the penalties that supposedly Eastern refs would call.

Many frustrating moments in that game. It's over and we lost 4-3 on a heart breaker!!!!!!    Been there many times.

BBBBUUUTTT, we won Friday, we're playing our best hockey of the year and just played the two highest ranked teams in the country!!!!!

We are going to be on home base in Fargo, let's heal up as much as we can and win 2.  

That would leave us with 2 to go!

Imagine a month ago, being able to read this post today!

• Upvote 2

I understand the concern about the penalty on Janutuinen putting us down 5x3 at the end of the game, but watching it in real life, and then watching a replay I can see how the call was made.  JJ does wrap his arms around the guy as they hit the boards, and the guy goes down.   In a penalty fest like this, with the 5x3's and PP's UND received (right, wrong or indifferent can be argued) you have to be careful.  Wrapping the guy up just puts you at he mercy of what the ref sees.  JJ's pressure causes the Bulldog's skates to catch the boards and drops.  I'm not even sure it was a flop, but it was almost certainly going to be called the way this game was being played.  JJ should not have wrapped the guy up, simple as that.

13 hours ago, Walsh Hall said:

My glasses are tinted green, but I really don't see the outrage for the Poolman hit.  There are 50 hits a game worse than that one.  If he wasn't hurt nobody would have said a word about that hit.  Nobody on the ice, including the UND players, reacted at all like there was a cheap shot.  Berry and staff weren't saying anything or looking concerned until Tucker got to the bench and Piunk ran Cam.

The Johnson hit was an entirely different story.

Refs were absolutely brutal both ways.

The Poolman pairing was playing great.  Losing or having a diminished Tucker will be a significant blow.

When it comes to officiating, I listen to what Hennessy says on his radio call.  He is a great hockey knowledge guy and I believe him almost without question.  He didn't think their was a major penalty on the Poolman hit.  However,  he was adamant that Pionk should have been ejected from the game. The fact that we wasn't tossed is why the game was ruined by later calls and overall poor officiating.  Hennessy believes Anderson is a piss poor ref with a mad attitude on the ice.  I would agree based upon seeing his games at the Ralph.  Pionk should serve a 2 game DQ but probably won't.

23 minutes ago, dagies said:

I understand the concern about the penalty on Janutuinen putting us down 5x3 at the end of the game, but watching it in real life, and then watching a replay I can see how the call was made.  JJ does wrap his arms around the guy as they hit the boards, and the guy goes down.   In a penalty fest like this, with the 5x3's and PP's UND received (right, wrong or indifferent can be argued) you have to be careful.  Wrapping the guy up just puts you at he mercy of what the ref sees.  JJ's pressure causes the Bulldog's skates to catch the boards and drops.  I'm not even sure it was a flop, but it was almost certainly going to be called the way this game was being played.  JJ should not have wrapped the guy up, simple as that.

I agree.  You knew after the game was tied 3-3, with UND still on the PP, that a makeup call was coming.  That came with the Pogo penalty.   The JJ one wasn't a dive, the guy's skates hit the boards and he went down.  I won't have called it, but the penalty for Jost being "hooked" was worse.

The Olson penalty was a total joke.  The Simonson penalty was a crosscheck, but a total flop.  A think a couple trips called on UMD were just player's losing an edge on crappy ice.

Ref's had a horrible game.

2 hours ago, Walsh Hall said:

Ref's had a horrible game.

Absolutely.  For example, I believe the first penalty called on Duluth was a bad call.

2 hours ago, UNDColorado said:

Pionk is nothing more then an oxygen thief. I will cheer for any team that is playing Duluth now and hope Pionk gets a dose of his own medicine.

that's a big 10-4.  Duluth may be lucky Healey from Ohio State was removed from next weekend.

15 minutes ago, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

So much this.

Let's just beat BU and all stick around and roast Pionk every time he touches the puck, cheering whenever he makes a mistake.

Are we sure Matt Greene and Ben Blood don't have any eligibility left? Or can they just borrow jerseys from the Poolman boys for a couple shifts?

giphy.gif

• Upvote 3

8 hours ago, siouxfan512 said:

Are we sure Matt Greene and Ben Blood don't have any eligibility left? Or can they just borrow jerseys from the Poolman boys for a couple shifts?

giphy.gif

After seeing what Tucker and Colton did to Denver on Friday, I'm fine with those two keeping their jerseys and doing their own work.

• Upvote 2