SiouxSports.com Forum

NORTH DAKOTA @ UMD - NCHC CHAMPIONSHIP GAMEDAY

AZSIOUX

Hard to believe that when Blais took over in Grand Forks in 1994, his right-hand man was Sandelin. Together, they rebuilt a fallen dynasty and make the eventual construction of the current version of REA possible in 2001. And when Duluth hired him away to replace Mike Sertich in 2000 after winning our 7th NCAA title, we were sad to see him go. Now he's no different than any of the other toolboxes in this sport that we have deal with on a regular basis.:angry:

Sad when you think about it. :(

• Upvote 4

27 minutes ago, SiouxFanatic said:

What an absolutely disgusting game. I hope the NCHC reviews the officiating in this game. It was ugly overall.

I hope karma will catch up with UMD in the tournament. Their flopping to make sure penalties were called is embarrassing to the sport. 

I actually don't have much to say for how UND played. Tucker going down really hurts. I hope he'll be ok for the tournament.

Yes, flopping takes away from the game, hate to see it.  This isn't soccer or the NBA-

• Upvote 2

Duluth could have been called all night for penalties so the refs had to only call the blatant ones against the dogs. They called all the questionable ones on us to even it up. What a poor showing for the NCHC refs, but too bad nothing will be done about it.

the refs next week won't tolerate the holds and interference the dogs were pulling. I wouldn't be surprised if they are one and done

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, GO_FIGHTING_SIOUX_GO said:

Duluth is dirty and the reffing sucked. Go Sioux screw the little trophy if you gotta play dirty to get it. Duluth isn't going to go far if they meet Refs that can call a game.

If eastern refs are still the eastern refs I remember from past tournaments, Duluth will be facing 5x3 penalty kills for half the game. And it will cost them their season.

• Upvote 3

Just now, fightingsioux4life said:

If eastern refs are still the eastern refs I remember from past tournaments, Duluth will be facing 5x3 penalty kills for half the game. And it will cost them their season.

One bulldog fan said that it was only fair they get got the game winning goal on a 5-3 because we got all of them. I said we also don't play dirty have fun with the east cost refs next weekend.

Tomanoto should have been given 2 for yelling at the refs. The linesman had to hold him back he was so bad. They didnt call it and now the rest is history.

Refs certainly could have been better, but what do you expect with Todd Anderson ?  He is the worst ref in all of college hockey, the undisputed champ for quite a long time. 

Pionk should have been tossed from the game.  If you won't toss someone for what he did to Cam then it is open season on goalies.  

As far as Sandelin, I have not been a fan of his coaching for quite a while.  Has nothing to do with the game or style tonight, I just don't think he is a good head coach.  Hard to argue with his mediocre record at Duluth as his record is 312-283-82.  To put it another way he has won less than half the games he coached.   He would have been terminated long ago at UND with that type of record. 

• Upvote 2

One of my biggest pet peeves is how scrums are called after the whistle most often resulting in matching minors. In order to prevent the same thing from reoccurring  you have to provide some sort of deterant. Here is my take;

1) If you hit the goalie or someone else unprovoked after the whistle everything is matched up but you give the offensive player an extra 2 for instigating the scrum

2) If you protect your goalie and the offensive player did nothing wrong you match them and give the defensive player an extra two

3) The only way you assign 100% matching penaties is each team deserves it (i.e. offensive player slashes the goalie then the defensive player punched him in the head followed by  no additional activities). 

The other thing that would help is calling a  "contact to the head" major when a player defends their goalie from a non-existent slash with a cross check to the chin. To me that is far worse than a mostly shoulder to shoulder hit that inadvertently results in head contact as part of a normal hockey play  

11 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

O well. The team I saw last night and tonight is one that nobody wants to play in the tourney. If they keep that edge I could see a deep deep run happening.

100% agreed. tonight's loss doesn't mean all that much. This team has come together at the perfect time. Just gotta keep playing like this,

• Upvote 1