SiouxSports.com Forum

2017-18 Season

SWSiouxMN

Would love to see how many players actually achiever the "Masters" degree that they are supposedly transferring for.  It takes 1.5-2 years to get one and they only have one year to play & get it paid for.  

• Upvote 1

I think this rule helps justify not seeing redshirts used the past few years in basketball.  Why save a fifth year you won't benefit from.  

Personally don't see Shanks or Bernstein being anymore than 7-8 options at where they transfer too   

1 hour ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Given the very odd situation with UND, Brian Jones, and his contract (or lack thereof), I personally can't rule that out as a factor in this.

Recent history suggests coaching continuity definitely helps prevent such transfers; that much has been established in both DI NCAA basketball and football. 

Is there anyone that actually thinks that Jones will not get a contract extension?  Does Drick (or any other current MBB player at UND) actually think that Jones will not be the coach next year?  I don't think this played any factor into his decision.  

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

Is there anyone that actually thinks that Jones will not get a contract extension?  Does Drick (or any other current MBB player at UND) actually think that Jones will not be the coach next year?  I don't think this played any factor into his decision.  

Where, at this point in time, would Jones go?

Is it possible, in the negotiations, that both Jones and Faison think they are in the power seat with Jones making larger demands and Faison thinking Jones has no other option?

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, zonadub said:

Where, at this point in time, would Jones go?

Is it possible, in the negotiations, that both Jones and Faison think they are in the power seat with Jones making larger demands and Faison thinking Jones has no other option?

Not surprised if that is what is going on.  I'm sure Faison had a contract sitting on his desk for Jones to sign months ago.  No doubt they are going back and forth in the negotiations.  Jones' last contract was for $100,000 a year.  does he deserve more?  Absolutley.  Does he deserve $250,000?  Probably not.  A realistic number for Jones should be around $180,000 with incentives for conference championships, wins in a season, and NCAA tournament bids.  

1 hour ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

Not surprised if that is what is going on.  I'm sure Faison had a contract sitting on his desk for Jones to sign months ago.  No doubt they are going back and forth in the negotiations.  Jones' last contract was for $100,000 a year.  does he deserve more?  Absolutley.  Does he deserve $250,000?  Probably not.  A realistic number for Jones should be around $180,000 with incentives for conference championships, wins in a season, and NCAA tournament bids.  

Goes from 100 to 180 with that resume?   Better be a hell of alot in incentives 

• Upvote 4

On ‎3‎/‎28‎/‎2017 at 0:06 PM, SWSiouxMN said:

So as stated in the 16-17 thread, Shanks is transferring out.  I wish him nothing but the best and thank him for his contribution to UND and helping bring UND to a championship and NCAA appearance.

What does that mean for next year?  This is a minor blow that could be a bigger blow is Drick does the same thing.  It does thin out the frontcourt a little bit now with Drick and Avants the only two with significant minutes.  Walter is going to have to make a huge jump from year 1 to 2. 

Be interesting to see how Jones and company replace the scholarship.  Does he play this with next year in mind or does he play this with the Summit in mind?  I'd say try to find a HS recruit or a freshman transfer and go from there.

I'm won't touch the transfer rules/Drick's decision/Jones contract, this post is strictly a regard to 17-18

This is a big blow and as I stated here in March, it makes the Shanks move a bigger blow as well. UND now has a very thin frontcourt.  More alarming is there is only one of them that is currently trustworthy (Avants).  One is injury prone (Jones), the other only has 94 minutes in college basketball and most of that was in mop-up (Walter).  Now that is not to say that Walter can't step it up or Jones can put together a healthy and productive season, its possible. 

Its time for UND to get lucky on one of these transfers.  Like grand slam lucky. Like EWU-Wiley lucky

19 hours ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

The lingering nature of the contract talks is certainly atypical, even considering low-major DI basketball programs. It's not optimal and I won't blindly support UND's athletic department on this ordeal. 

Transfer in from Denver...transfer out.

Transfer in from Utah State...transfer out to Loyola (IL)...

Anyone else see a problem with college basketball these days -and I don't mean just UND.  "Amatuer" athletics is a joke.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, MafiaMan said:

Transfer in from Denver.  Graduate.  Go to grad school elsewhere.

Transfer in from Utah State. Graduate. Go to grad school elsewhere.

Anyone see a problem with the above adjustments?  They're still students.

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, UNDhoops said:

You wouldn't transfer schools to increase the potential of you earning a living?

If they're picking up the tab for it, sure, why wouldn't I?  College athletes are becoming nothing more than free agents these days anyways.  Can't crack the line-up at a big school?  Transfer to a smaller one.  Have a good year at a small school and think you can make a name for yourself?  Transfer to a bigger one.  

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, MafiaMan said:

If they're picking up the tab for it, sure, why wouldn't I?  College athletes are becoming nothing more than free agents these days anyways.  Can't crack the line-up at a big school?  Transfer to a smaller one.  Have a good year at a small school and think you can make a name for yourself?  Transfer to a bigger one.  

So where would you put Shanks in these two scenarios??

14 minutes ago, MafiaMan said:

Was it like this.... ?

• Upvote 1

My dream would be if some UND landed a true center.  If they can replace Drick with equal or greater value (I know its asking a lot this late in the game), they UND can still content this year.

If they can't... it will be more difficult.  We saw what happened with Montana and Weber last year when you didn't have decent to above average post play to balance great guards.

11 hours ago, MafiaMan said:

11 hours ago, dmksioux said:

So where would you put Shanks in these two scenarios??

I'm have no idea, because in March, he was supposedly heading BACK to Utah State...

http://www.sltrib.com/home/5258289-155/usu-basketball-carson-shanks-will-not