SiouxSports.com Forum

2017-18 Season

SWSiouxMN

1 hour ago, hoops44 said:

a low minute limited role low D1 kid....Looking for a  D2 offer I guess...explains having a offer for Jal and Hazekamp

Any idea why Hazekamp hasn't signed or, if he has, why it hasn't been announced?  There was an article in the Sioux City Journal as recent as 10 days ago saying he planned to sign.

39 minutes ago, UND Fan said:

Any idea why Hazekamp hasn't signed or, if he has, why it hasn't been announced?  There was an article in the Sioux City Journal as recent as 10 days ago saying he planned to sign.

No idea....  Maybe the school has a scheduled signing event for athletes coming up soon

I am getting excited for the year. After what happened to the football team, I have to admit that I am a little hesitant to come to this site because of a fear of hearing someone got hurt. Would anybody be willing to educate about what they are seeing with some of the new players. I don't know who is who yet. 

11 hours ago, SiouxFan100 said:

I am getting excited for the year. After what happened to the football team, I have to admit that I am a little hesitant to come to this site because of a fear of hearing someone got hurt. Would anybody be willing to educate about what they are seeing with some of the new players. I don't know who is who yet. 

I can try and fill in some of the gaps.

Dale Jones is the grad (6th year) transfer from Iowa.  He is filling in the role left void when Drick transferred to Wazzu.  He is an inside-outside threat much like Drick was except Jones can shoot the 3.  Hopefully he can also shoot free throws at a better clip (so far so good).  The one major concern is that he has a history of injuries has he lost significant time due to knee and wrist injuries, so this will be need to be watched.  He has shown flashes of what he can do (went 4-8 from 3 In the win against Ark-PB) but still needs to knock off some rust.  Given our lack of height he is possibly our most important newcomer in the short-term. 

Marlon Stewart is the transfer from Creighton who sat out last year: can handle the ball and will attack the rim.  Will get a lot of time besides Geno and Seales in the starting lineup, looking to fill the Hooker role.  Has been okay but should get better as the season rolls along.  I think if he could put up numbers similar to Geno his freshman year, we will be in good shape. Most important newcomer in the long-term (he is only a Soph).  Also, he and Cortez were teammates back in HS. 

Tray Buchanan is the freshman guard that will get minutes off the bench and most likely will be the freshman that gets the most minutes.  Will get better as the season gets along,  He came in with a scoring mentality from Illinois, scorng 20 ppg in his jr and sr season.  I think he has a bright future but this season he will be counted on to provide much needed scoring. IS 100% on both ends of the floor

Jafar Kinsley gets out on the floor after redshirting:  He will be counted on providing the 3 point threat off the bench, been okay in the first few games but will need to improve his shot percentage.  Jones stated he was the most improved player on the team. 

Jaqwan McCauley is another JUCO transfer that will be filling in the role left by Collins off the bench.  Hopefully with his size and athleticism he can take on some different defensive assignments and provide a scoring bunch.  He has struggled so far to start the year

• Upvote 1