SiouxSports.com Forum

2017-18 Season

SWSiouxMN

2 hours ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

Neither are his fault.  Not sure how you can put Drick deciding to transfer and Geno getting a DUI on Jones.  

wasn't assigning blame at all...just stating the fact these recent happenings might cost jones some cash in his very lengthy negtiations with his bossman

http://millersports.areavoices.com/2017/06/20/und-mens-basketball-offseason-off-to-rocky-start/

As for Jones, UND athletic director Brian Faison spoke to a Grand Forks community group Tuesday morning and said a new contract with Jones is completed. We’ve heard rumors that was the case for weeks, though, and I don’t know why it hasn’t been released yet. 

12 minutes ago, SWSiouxMN said:

I could take a guess why... Still scared about blowback with the WIH cuts is all. 

That would make sense.  With that said, I'm guessing the Herald has submitted an open records request for the contract, so UND better not drag its feet too long.

Basketball needed some good news. I'll take it. Depending on what happens with Crandall, this team should still be able to compete. Guessing Crandall will be suspended for the first few games. Seems kind of routine for him. Didn't that happen his freshman season too?

UND MBB lands verbal from 6-6 juco (Tyler Junior College in Texas). One juco ranking has as high as No. 44 transfer in 2017 class. https://twitter.com/JaqwanMccauley/status/877275036708745218 

2 hours ago, Cratter said:

Hopefully the raise is big enough for Monique to go on a twitter rant.

Yeah, I understand where people/alumni/former players are upset about losing WH, but there needs to be some realistic perspective about it as well.

1 minute ago, siouxfan512 said:

Basketball needed some good news. I'll take it. Depending on what happens with Crandall, this team should still be able to compete. Guessing Crandall will be suspended for the first few games. Seems kind of routine for him. Didn't that happen his freshman season too?

UND MBB lands verbal from 6-6 juco (Tyler Junior College in Texas). One juco ranking has as high as No. 44 transfer in 2017 class. https://twitter.com/JaqwanMccauley/status/877275036708745218 

A 6'6", 210 SF.  He averaged 12.4 pts and 5.2 rebounds last year.  Signed with Morehead St - not sure what happened.  Originally from Greensboro, NC.

56 minutes ago, UND Fan said:

A 6'6", 210 SF.  He averaged 12.4 pts and 5.2 rebounds last year.  Signed with Morehead St - not sure what happened.  Originally from Greensboro, NC.

On their board, Morehead State fans said he didn't get eligible this spring and had to take summer classes.  Don't know if that's true.  Morehead St has a new coach and now has a whole troop of new players, as they lost transfers too.

This is the time of the year where I attempt to piece the conference schedule together based off of whatever conference team schedule (men's or women's) is up.  Found the first 6 games so far

1/4 @ Montana

1/6 @ MSU

2/1 MSU

2/3 Montana

2/15 SUU

2/17 NAU

That likely mean Weber and ISU will be on the road since we only get them once this year, and everyone else we get home and homes (EWU, Idaho, PSU, SAC, UNC)

Conference schedule

12/29 Idaho

12/31  EWU

1/4 @ Montana

1/6 @ MSU

1/11 ISU

1/13 Weber

1/20 @ UNC

1/25 @ EWU

1/27 @ Idaho

2/1 MSU

2/3 Montana

2/8 @ Weber

2/10 @ ISU

2/15 SUU

2/17 NAU

2/24 UNC

3/1 @ SAC

3/3 @ PSU

So I was wrong, we only get Sac, PSU, NAU and SUU once.  Everyone else twice

You want to talk about a brutal start to the conference schedule?  Right off the bat with the league favorite Idaho at home, then the brutal Montana swing, then home to Weber and ISU. Then repeat the swing in Jan/Feb.  Good news? After the game at Weber, schedule is softer the rest of the way.   This is definitely a harder conference schedule on paper than last year.

3 hours ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

Mid major 7 footers transfers aren't always a dominant as you think they should be (Shanks).

Gonzaga doesn't recruit like a mid major.  They are a power program whatever league they are in.  If Shanks was that caliber, he would have been recruited at Gonzaga's level.

1 hour ago, SiouxVolley said:

Gonzaga doesn't recruit like a mid major.  They are a power program whatever league they are in.  If Shanks was that caliber, he would have been recruited at Gonzaga's level.

actually shanks at one time held an USC offer ...plus not unusual for a team to take a flyer on a 7ft+ kid...many of whom never pan out....Edwards was a 2 star recruit with only 1 major d1 offer other than Zaga....will likely back up Farris at PS