SiouxSports.com Forum

#15 UND (22-9) vs #2 Arizona (30-4) 3/16 8:50 NCAA 1st Round

SWSiouxMN

I admit that there are times I am a half empty type of guy. Sorry but I am afraid we get behind by 25 and lose by 15. One thing to drive the basket (like we do so well) against one 6"10" player - complete another thing to drive to meet a couple seven footers.  Hopefully the refs are calling fouls. We should be able to beat them down the court though. It would be fun to come out blazing and make 8 threes in the first half. Go Hawks!

I'm here. No band. No cheerleaders. Even the Jacks have band and cheerleaders. This may seem trivial but their absence to me is unacceptable. Implies that no one thought this through or some dumb people are making some decisions. A trip to NCAA basketball tournament is a wonderful marketing opportunity to showcase your university. Now, we will be the school that has fight song being played over PA. All the bands and cheerleaders were even at respective practice/media sessions yesterday. Weak damn sauce!

12 minutes ago, ArtVandalay said:

I'm here. No band. No cheerleaders. Even the Jacks have band and cheerleaders. This may seem trivial but their absence to me is unacceptable. Implies that no one thought this through or some dumb people are making some decisions. A trip to NCAA basketball tournament is a wonderful marketing opportunity to showcase your university. Now, we will be the school that has fight song being played over PA. All the bands and cheerleaders were even at respective practice/media sessions yesterday. Weak damn sauce!

It'd be my preference if UND has some extra representation but honest question: Was it even possible to get a respectable group of either put together with spring break this week? Can't exactly force kids to put their spring break plans on hold for something that may or may not happen and even then you have to get enough to make it respectable. Could be a pretty reasonable explanation.

It looks like SDSU's spring break was March 6-10th.

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, ArtVandalay said:

Band is on spring break and they were already gone on their separate ways before we knew we were going to be in the Dance, so kind of hard to plan for that.  How do you even do that?   Band director: "Ok, I know we are all going on spring break back to our hometowns, Cancun, Daytona, etc. etc. etc. but there is a chance that our Basketball Team might make it to the NCAAs for the first time ever, so if you can stick around until we know more -- that would be greeaat, or if you must go, please consider getting back here early so we can take a bus to wherever we are scheduled to play, if we can get hotel rooms and all that logistical nonsense. Sound good... great!"

You might get a handful to do it.... but it would look even lamer to have a small number than none at all IMHO.

That said, thanks for making the trip and showing your support... now go Hawks!

13 minutes ago, ArtVandalay said:

Also, SDSU does not have an eight time national champion hockey team playing this weekend with the national tournament on the line. It is safe to say we have a bit more going on than they do right now. Some of you need to take a step back from the ledge and pop a xanex. 

11 minutes ago, UNDColorado said:

Also, SDSU does not have an eight time national champion hockey team playing this weekend with the national tournament on the line. It is safe to say we have a bit more going on than they do right now. Some of you need to take a step back from the ledge and pop a xanex. 

Haha. Who gives a sh&t. It's a tertiary sport. No one cares. Make some moves. Get the band here!

26 minutes ago, ArtVandalay said:

I agree that it is unfortunate that we won't have the band and cheerleaders. Sometimes things just don't turn out. Any chance if you are willing to wear a skirt and wave pompoms Art?:silly:

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, dmksioux said:

I agree that it looks bad not having a band or cheerleaders.  Simple fix is move spring break to a weak earlier to avoid potential conflicts.  

Sounds simple until you realize spring break is set not by UND but by the NDUS. 

You ever tried herding cats? 

Just now, UNDColorado said:

Haha okay guy. This "tertiary" sport had 20 active alums playing in the NHL this season. 

How many people will watch the game on TBS tonight and how many will watch the hockey game?  How many people will watch the NCAA national championship basketball game vs hockey game?  Tertiary. Nice little sport for some folks. 

21 minutes ago, ArtVandalay said:

How many people will watch the game on TBS tonight and how many will watch the hockey game?  How many people will watch the NCAA national championship basketball game vs hockey game?  Tertiary. Nice little sport for some folks. 

Let's not have this deteriorate into a hockey vs. everything else argument. Let's just enjoy the success our teams are having.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, ArtVandalay said:

I get that you don't like hockey but don't try to compare the big dance to a conference tournament. You also missed my point that regardless of spring break, the athletic has more going on than most schools right now so I imagine they are stretched thin. Basketball has over 300 D1 programs so yeah, it is more popular. Also a lot cheaper to play. Just keep on complaining about things you cant control. Go Hawks. 

• Upvote 1