SiouxSports.com Forum

Coach Jones?

darell1976

I don't think there would be nearly as much heartburn over our record this year if we were young or if we were working hard but just didn't have the talent. However, we have a very talented group of seniors and Jones has shown zero ability to coach them up at all. Watching this talent not box out, refuse to pass, and just mail it in sometimes drives me nuts. They don't appear to listen to coaching at all because they have been playing the exact same way for 4 years. This is so frustrating to many fans. At times you see more disciplined play in a pick up game.

• Upvote 1

I don't think there would be nearly as much heartburn over our record this year if we were young or if we were working hard but just didn't have the talent. However, we have a very talented group of seniors and Jones has shown zero ability to coach them up at all. Watching this talent not box out, refuse to pass, and just mail it in sometimes drives me nuts. They don't appear to listen to coaching at all because they have been playing the exact same way for 4 years. This is so frustrating to many fans. At times you see more disciplined play in a pick up game.

^^^^this

Quote from Grand Forks Herald story on Troy:

Troy has a large cross with his favorite Bible verse beneath it tattooed on his right upper arm. The verse is Colossians 3:23: “Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for men.” “It’s the perfect verse for an athlete,” Troy said. “It’s pointless to go out there and play half-heartedly.”

Firing Jones at this point is not going to happen. I understand everything everyone is saying but look at was has happened the last 4 years. We were in the Great West for 2 years and we won both conference tournament championships. We were picked 6th or 7th last year in the Big Sky and finished 3rd and lost by 2 to Weber in the semi finals. This year we were picked 2nd in one poll and 3rd in the other poll and we finished 3rd in a much tougher conference than last year . Yes we've had a lot of disappointing loses but we have exceeded or matched expectations the past 4 years. Every team has experience and for the most part players just as good as ours. The problem with Jones as mentioned is he has not been able to mold players into team players nor control them in that manner or get them to understand the basic fundamentals of basketball. Maybe it's the type of players he has recruited that just don't get it and maybe he should start recruiting more fundamental players that can box out and shoot free throws and hit the open man. Last game we had 5 assists and 4 of those came from Webb. Hooker is now starting to drive and throw up shots over 2-3 players just like other selfish players have done for 4 years.

Quote from Grand Forks Herald story on Troy:

Troy has a large cross with his favorite Bible verse beneath it tattooed on his right upper arm. The verse is Colossians 3:23: “Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for men.” “It’s the perfect verse for an athlete,” Troy said. “It’s pointless to go out there and play half-heartedly.”

I've seen him check out several times when he wasn't getting the ball enough including one memorable time a season or two ago (too lazy to look for it). There is no doubt he is one of the most talented players ever to suit up for UND but he isn't always an asset on the floor (passing, defense).

I agree NODAK...Hooker has been playing like sh**. Quite honestly I have not been impressed with him. Maybe if Webb had of started during that 5 game stretch, maybe our record would be better. He is going down the lane throwing up prayers.

I agree about Hooker. Jones has been trying to make more of Hooker than what he is all year. I said from day 1 Hooker should have red-shirted because we could have easily made up his 4 point average with Stefen, Antwi and Schuler. I'm afraid if he doesn't get control of Hooker soon he will just drive and throw up sh*t like he has been doing for quite some time the next 3 years. Benching Webb for Hooker was a huge mistake Jones made this year and did show Jones does not know what he is doing with his players. I only hope Jones goes with his best ( seniors) during the post season and win or lose with your best and quite playing 11 players, but then again is he smart enough for this.

I like your optimism on the football program, but on what grounds are you basing this statement? The football team has not even had spring practice yet. The optimism for Mussman's teams was always high at this time of year too.

For one, Bubba's staff has far more experience than Mussman's staffs did. Also, Bubba is a proven winner as a DI football coach. Mussman never had the opportunity to coordinate at the DI level I guess, but he certainly never won much as a head coach at that level.

Bubba's level of passion for UND and North Dakota is far greater than that of Mussman. Just listen to his press conferences or check out the north bleachers at every men's and women's basketball games.

So far, Bubba has done all the right things, including recruiting. However, the most important thing, execution on the football field, remains to be seen.

Seriously you need to settle down... here is the transition record for SDSU.

2004-05.........Scott Nagy....................................10 ............18

2005-06.........Scott Nagy.....................................9 .............20

2006-07.........Scott Nagy.....................................6 .............24

2007-08.........Scott Nagy.....................................8 .............21

2008-09.........Scott Nagy....................................13 ............20

2009-10.........Scott Nagy....................................14 ............16

2010-11.........Scott Nagy....................................19 ............12

2011-12.........Scott Nagy....................................27 .............8

2012-13.........Scott Nagy....................................25 ............10

He had a year stretch of 60 and 119. It takes time to build a program.

That d*mn patience and transition bullsh*t excuse needs to stop.

It's an excuse. Nothing more or nothing else. Remember NDSU with Woodside? If you have good coaching along with talented players, you can win regardless of transition status. UND's talent this year should not have produced so many blowout losses (Cal Poly, Pacific, Butler, Weber St. etc.) and just plain bad losses (SUU).

• Upvote 2

Absolutely agree with this.

Some guys just make really good high school players; in which it doesn't translate to college. I think Hooker is that kid. He seems like a cool kid, but IMO, I think he gets a lot of minutes, because Jones and company, wouldn't want to see him transfer.

I still think Hooker is going to be a stud here. He has shown some flashes of what he can do. Some of the layups he makes are absolutely ridiculous and he some very good vision. I think he is really going to excel next season especially in the second half when he is playing with his good buddy Carson Shanks.

I've seen him check out several times when he wasn't getting the ball enough including one memorable time a season or two ago (too lazy to look for it). There is no doubt he is one of the most talented players ever to suit up for UND but he isn't always an asset on the floor (passing, defense).

Well, we've often seen you're the expert when it comes to reading the minds of coaches and players. Coupled with an amazing talent to understand things that our athletes and coaches just don't get. Quite a gift. I have watched Huff for his entire career and he works as hard or harder than anyone on the team in the areas of rebounding and playing defense. Because of our lack of production from our bigs, he is always in banging the other teams big bodies on the boards. Almost always while giving up 60 or 80 pounds. I don't see it as checking out, I see it as him being gassed and trying to catch some air occasionally.

But, I don't have the gift of knowing and understanding things about sports that so many of our athletes and coaches just don't understand.

That "horrible coach" s team finished second in the Big Sky.

If we win the conference tournament this year that still won't change my mind on Jones. Clearly he is not going to get fired, anyone with a brain knows that. But my whole thing is that he's still not a good coach and we could have done much better things with a coach that knows what he is doing.

Despite that horrible loss vs SUU, UND gets #2 seed. Sure wish this team wasn't so bipolar though; it really frustrates me.

Are you certain we got the 2 seed? Three teams tied for 2nd with a 12-8 record. What a crazy race this has been in the Big Sky this year.

It is still very good to get the 2nd seed out of 11 teams. As fans we should be excited but unfortunately this team just has an absolute stinker on occasion, and it just shatters our confidence in them as a team. It is the way we lose when we drop one that gets everyone upset. Never the less I am excited and we really do have just as good of chance as anyone to go to the Dance. I wonder when we play next week.

I personally am excited for Jones to get fired and one of you experts to be hired. Can't wait for the team to finish 1st in the conference and make the tournament every year once we get an intelligent basketball mind on the bench.

• Upvote 2

Jones is not a players coach. He is top busy yelling and throwing his hands up. That's his coach method. Tinkle is the best coach in the big sky, followed by Randy Rahe, Bill Evans...even nick Robinson seems to be a better coach. Jones is dead last. Yes he hus team is good enough to get a 2 seed. Not because of him, because of the talent of the players.

I still think if Rahe or Tinkle had this team they could be undefeated in the big sky.