SiouxSports.com Forum

Coach Jones?

darell1976

52 minutes ago, Kab said:

How many of these players will be here next year

it seems those that aren’t playing may want to go somewhere they will play.

If they aren't good enough to get playing time, do we really want to keep them?  I'd like to think that the coaches will get the minutes to the kids that they plan to keep and build around.  Jones has struggled with coaching and developing players, but he has brought in some good talent in the past so I would think he knows which kids to keep around.  Could be wrong.  Either way, I do some promise and reason for hope with the young kids we have this year.  

32 minutes ago, dmksioux said:

If they aren't good enough to get playing time, do we really want to keep them?  I'd like to think that the coaches will get the minutes to the kids that they plan to keep and build around.  Jones has struggled with coaching and developing players, but he has brought in some good talent in the past so I would think he knows which kids to keep around.  Could be wrong.  Either way, I do some promise and reason for hope with the young kids we have this year.  

Seems Bijiek's playing time is tailing off some.  He has great potential once he adds 30+ pounds.

3 hours ago, UNDsnce82 said:

Have any of you taken into consideration that we have ELEVEN new men’s players this year, and in the past two years we have had players leave (GOOD PLAYERS) and go to big name top 10 schools? We aren’t even into the conference play yet and all you negative Nancy’s want coaches fired. Good god let them do their jobs! Let’s wait see how the regular season goes (or at least the first half) before we talk about firing people. Let these kids get to know each other and play together more than a month. FACT: Teams play better together when they can bond as friends(or at least friendly) first. These guys haven’t played together long enough to have that bond. Give them some time! 

Why does a team have 11 new players?  Does that not fall on the coaches, too?

• Upvote 4

Jones has history of bringing some very good players and developing them. I agree with UND snce82 I think we will be surprised with how this teams develops as season goes along but I do have reservation on this team in since that I don't think they have guards this year to compete with top teams in the conference. I just think its hard to blame Jones for this when you loose a player like Crandall late in the year like he did because at that time its hard to go find replacement player. Small schools like UND are going to have hard time keeping top players like in past with the new rule changes and especially now with big time programs being able to come in pluck players from likes of UND when ever need occurs. The turn over in players is going to be common place for small school like UND when they players have the ability to move from school to school.

4 minutes ago, ND-fan said:

Jones has history of bringing some very good players and developing them. I agree with UND snce82 I think we will be surprised with how this teams develops as season goes along but I do have reservation on this team in since that I don't think they have guards this year to compete with top teams in the conference. I just think its hard to blame Jones for this when you loose a player like Crandall late in the year like he did because at that time its hard to go find replacement player. Small schools like UND are going to have hard time keeping top players like in past with the new rule changes and especially now with big time programs being able to come in pluck players from likes of UND when ever need occurs. The turn over in players is going to be common place for small school like UND when they players have the ability to move from school to school.

Why weren’t people this forgivable of Bubba after the injury prone season of 2017, and he was only in his 4th season. Jones has been coach back when the Sioux where in the NCC of Division II, yeah that long ago. I think a change needs to happen if this team can’t win the Summit. The losing years need to end.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, darell1976 said:

Why weren’t people this forgivable of Bubba after the injury prone season of 2017, and he was only in his 4th season. Jones has been coach back when the Sioux where in the NCC of Division II, yeah that long ago. I think a change needs to happen if this team can’t win the Summit. The losing years need to end.

So you say there is a chance!

15 hours ago, CMSioux said:

This has been suggested numerous times to no avail. Some people are just negative, "Fire" threads do nothing for the programs and they certainly have no impact on a coaches tenure along with hurting recruiting.

I think to a certain degree they might have a minor influence but not a much as you think. I’ve asked a few of the athletes if they read the message boards and the common response has been a chuckle. 

18 hours ago, darell1976 said:

Jones was a Tom Buning hire. That's how long he has been here.

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, darell1976 said:

I am not a big Brian Jones fan and as has been pointed out in this thread Faison dropped the ball on his contract situation and for now it is what it is.

As far as winning the Summit, are you saying as long as we win the Summit once every 9 years you are good with that or are the other 8 programs all looking to fire their coaches every year they don't win the league as well?

4 hours ago, petey23 said:

I am not a big Brian Jones fan and as has been pointed out in this thread Faison dropped the ball on his contract situation and for now it is what it is.

As far as winning the Summit, are you saying as long as we win the Summit once every 9 years you are good with that or are the other 8 programs all looking to fire their coaches every year they don't win the league as well?

I’m just saying fire him after the season if he doesn’t win the Summit instead of letting his contract run out then letting him go. Going to the dance gave him a reprieve and earned an extension as most thought maybe this is where things get better, plus I would give him a chance as the SL is a new conference and see how we match up. 

54 minutes ago, darell1976 said:

I’m just saying fire him after the season if he doesn’t win the Summit instead of letting his contract run out then letting him go. Going to the dance gave him a reprieve and earned an extension as most thought maybe this is where things get better, plus I would give him a chance as the SL is a new conference and see how we match up. 

He earned his extension.....fire him halfway through it. Brilliant!

• Downvote 1

On ‎12‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 10:00 PM, Cratter said:

The one who's team goes further in the (non loser bracket) season duh. Thats sort of how sports work.

Brewster doesn't even have to face any schools top sports team like Jones has to. That gives Brewster like 8 free wins a year.

Huh???  Beg to differ. 

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, darell1976 said:

You are right keep him forever. Fans love single digit DI wins. 

Nope, no one said that. You said he earned an extension (he did) and now you're saying to fire him less than 1.5 years into it. What planet does that make sense on (I mean, outside one where you aren't responsible for any sort of finances)? 

1 hour ago, jdub27 said:

Nope, no one said that. You said he earned an extension (he did) and now you're saying to fire him less than 1.5 years into it. What planet does that make sense on (I mean, outside one where you aren't responsible for any sort of finances)? 

But yet people are quick to say fire Bubba, or Fire Berry. After being on the job for a handful of years unlike Jones who has been here since 06.

2 hours ago, Cratter said:

Was their women's basketball coach the highest paid employee in the athletic department during those years?

Pat made over $2 million and Geno of Uconn made the same as well during the peak of rivalry. Pat was likely the second highest paid Coach and no doubt Geno was #1 at UConn. 

• Upvote 1