SiouxSports.com Forum

Coach Jones?

darell1976

1 hour ago, darell1976 said:

Seemed to work in Fargo for Dave Richman. 23-10 (Dance Trip), 20-13, 19-11.  Grand Forks isn't different than Fargo when it comes to basketball.

Spot on.

Same climate. Same size of school. Same budget issues. And starting next year, same league.

But much different expectations and standards.

That must change.

Now.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, darell1976 said:

Seemed to work in Fargo for Dave Richman. 23-10 (Dance Trip), 20-13, 19-11.  Grand Forks isn't different than Fargo when it comes to basketball.

I'm not so sure they are all that happy with Richman at times either.   He made the dance once and has done nothing since.

• Upvote 1

Maybe this is an over-simplification, but if I were an a.d. at a low-major division I school with a coach who is at or near the end of a contract, the question I would ask myself is: "is anybody else trying to hire this coach away from me?"  

If the answer is "no", then that's probably not the coach I want, either.

• Upvote 3

If I were Jones I would start packing asap.....once the new AD gets named and realizes how much potential this team really has but doesn't play to it's full potential he will be told to kick rocks. Jones is a Mussman 2.0. Was saved from being fired because of one good year. Hopefully the new AD whoever they are has enough brains to look past that.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, ibleedgreen said:

If I were Jones I would start packing asap.....once the new AD gets named and realizes how much potential this team really has but doesn't play to it's full potential he will be told to kick rocks. Jones is a Mussman 2.0. Was saved from being fired because of one good year. Hopefully the new AD whoever they are has enough brains to look past that.

New ad is going to give jones a 420k buyout....what ya been smoking

I don't think the issue is the Jones is a bad coach, his Big Sky record and finishes back that up. The issue is that he also isn't a great coach. Hasn't shown quite enough to get a better job and performs enough to keep his job. In his defense, the revolving door at the assistant coach positions hasn't done him any favors. 

Typically his teams play better as the season goes on, hopefully he can continue that trend, though I'm wondering if the holes were just too big to fill this year, particularly the unexpected losses. 

18 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

You could find the money from private donors if you really wanted to do it.

Not having a MBB team that regularly contends for March Madness is dragging down the entire athletic department.

I think you’d have to have a pretty solid replacement lined up to get $450K for basketball plus the additional it would likely cost to increase salary.   

Not sure he can change a system to play disciplined offense/defense but he needs to find a way to be more consistent from game to game.  

21 minutes ago, homer said:

I think you’d have to have a pretty solid replacement lined up to get $450K for basketball plus the additional it would likely cost to increase salary.   

Not sure he can change a system to play disciplined offense/defense but he needs to find a way to be more consistent from game to game.  

In that case.....let the mediocrity roll. :silly:

1 hour ago, fightingsioux4life said:

You could find the money from private donors if you really wanted to do it.

Not having a MBB team that regularly contends for March Madness is dragging down the entire athletic department.

Do you honestly believe that there are private donors that would ante up that kind of $?  If you do, send me a PM and I will provide you with some interesting info.

10 hours ago, fightingsioux4life said:

In that case.....let the mediocrity roll. :silly:

It has nothing to do with me as a fan accepting mediocrity and everything to do with understanding the financials of the athletic dept. and the fan base   

Nice try though.  

1 hour ago, homer said:

It has nothing to do with me as a fan accepting mediocrity and everything to do with understanding the financials of the athletic dept. and the fan base   

Nice try though.  

If it's all about "financials", then lets just give Jones a long-term deal because he costs less than someone else.

If we keep losing and losing big, interest in the program will continue to drop like a rock. What will that do for "financials"?

And we bought out Mussman, so why is it impossible to buy out Jones?

Nice try though.

11 hours ago, UND Fan said:

Do you honestly believe that there are private donors that would ante up that kind of $?  If you do, send me a PM and I will provide you with some interesting info.

If we could find 10 people to donate $5,000 apiece, problem solved.

Or 20 people at $2,500 apiece.

There have to be MBB alums who are disgusted by what is happening with the program who are also successful in their professional lives who could be persuaded to chip in some money to get rid of Jones.

The program is slowly sliding into irrelevancy and that is bad for the entire athletic department.

I just hope the new AD doesn't give out contract extensions like candy on Halloween.

3 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

If it's all about "financials", then lets just give Jones a long-term deal because he costs less than someone else.

If we keep losing and losing big, interest in the program will continue to drop like a rock. What will that do for "financials"?

And we bought out Mussman, so why is it impossible to buy out Jones?

Nice try though.

We just made the NCAA tournament last year.  We have not been losing before this season.  

Admittedly I am not a Jones fan.  However, there isn’t $650K sitting in the athletic budget for basketball.   You tell me where you will find it and I’m on board with letting him go unless he somehow finds some discipline in his coaching   

22 hours ago, TRex said:

I'm not so sure they are all that happy with Richman at times either.   He made the dance once and has done nothing since.

I guess I didn't realize that NDSU was the Duke of the great white north...if your expectation is annual trips to the NCAA tournament, good luck.  

2 minutes ago, homer said:

We just made the NCAA tournament last year.  We have not been losing before this season.  

Admittedly I am not a Jones fan.  However, there isn’t $650K sitting in the athletic budget for basketball.   You tell me where you will find it and I’m on board with letting him go unless he somehow finds some discipline in his coaching  

Last year was a fluke.

This year is bad.

Next year in the Summit League will be even worse.

We'll be lucky to draw more than 1,000 for any home game not against NDSU.

Buckle up, it is going to be a rough ride.

1 minute ago, fightingsioux4life said:

Last year was a fluke.

This year is bad.

Next year in the Summit League will be even worse.

We'll be lucky to draw more than 1,000 for any home game not against NDSU.

Buckle up, it is going to be a rough ride.

How was last year the fluke when his finishes have been a lot closer than making the dance than to what they have been 2 games into the conference schedule?

Holy !@#$ are you going off the deep end with hyperbole on this one.

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

How was last year the fluke when his finishes have been a lot closer than making the dance than to what they have been 2 games into the conference schedule?

Holy !@#$ are you going off the deep end with hyperbole on this one.

I will gladly eat crow if I am wrong. I just don't think I am.

The Summit is a much tougher MBB league. I don't see us having much success next year. Maybe the WBB team will, but not MBB.

16 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

If we could find 10 people to donate $5,000 apiece, problem solved.

Or 20 people at $2,500 apiece.

There have to be MBB alums who are disgusted by what is happening with the program who are also successful in their professional lives who could be persuaded to chip in some money to get rid of Jones.

The program is slowly sliding into irrelevancy and that is bad for the entire athletic department.

I just hope the new AD doesn't give out contract extensions like candy on Halloween.

I think you mean 100 people, 200 people. 

While I've never been a fan of Jones brand of basketball, it just isn't realistic to find half a million between donors and/or university funds to replace him. 

16 minutes ago, gfhockey said:

What is happening to the $3 million we cut

Some has been redistributed to other sports (primarily women's sports) for scholarships.  But we didn't have the majority of the $3 million.  That's why it needed to be cut.