SiouxSports.com Forum

Coach Jones?

darell1976

4 minutes ago, Bison Dan said:

Soccer team in Italy and softball team in Hawaii - yeah money is a problem.   If I was you I'd worry about your own budget.  There is a reason you guys have the lowest coaching salaries in the area. 

We offer women's scholarships?  We offer more sports than NDSU?  Stop me if I'm getting close

• Upvote 3

20 minutes ago, UND1983 said:

The new bar for UND BB everybody.  

I don't care what other teams did right now.  "Pushing teams to the limit" sucks.

I won't disagree.  You are taking  the comment out of context though.  Try reading.  

14 minutes ago, nd1sufan said:

UND has the best Mid Major Freshman and the Mid Major player of the year and NDSU beat them in Grand Forks. Sounds like a pretty good coaching job to me.

Man you are really jealous of UND having two players nominated for this.  It's really funny.  

Were you this up in arms about your buffalo being nominated for mascot of the year a few years back?  

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, 82SiouxGuy said:

They were trying to brag about how good a coach Richards is without pointing out that his team actually underperformed the entire year. 

A first year coach who takes his team to the dance then in his second year gets to the conference tournament finals is pretty damn impressive. Compare that to Jones' first two years as a coach. Yeah no comparison. 

The go-to move for newbies to the board and program is to defend the coach based on 1-2 years of knowledge.  

I don't see a whole lot of long-time fans that have witnessed the ebbs and flows of this program from Gunther to Glas to now Jones defending him after 10 years.

We will see what Faison thinks in a week or so.  The roster will be good next year.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, 82SiouxGuy said:

NDSU is picked to finish finish 2nd in the  Summit preseason polls. They finish 5th. They come back and finish 2nd in the conference tournament, so Richman is a great coach. UND is picked to finish 8th to 10th in Big Sky preseason polls. They finish 5th. They lose in the semifinals of the conference tournament to the conference champs. Jones is the worst coach on the planet. That's the logic for today.

UND was picked 8th to 10th because they sucked last year. They were 4-14 in the conference and 8-22 overall, very bad. There is nowhere to go but up, not the worst coach but not a great coach either. He is average by definition. Jones has finished above .500 4 times (including this year) in his career, under .500 4 times and at .500 twice, so pretty much average. Did the team overachieve this season yes, but to a point.  

1 minute ago, UND1983 said:

The go-to move for newbies to the board and program is to defend the coach based on 1-2 years of knowledge.  

I don't see a whole lot of long-time fans that have witnessed the ebbs and flows of this program from Gunther to Glas to now Jones defending him after 10 years.

We will see what Faison thinks in a week or so.  The roster will be good next year.

Let Jones coach next season and give him a short extension after this team is dancing and only if the team is dancing in 12 months. The roster will be more mature and hopefully he can get the team past Weber on the road and in the conference tournament.

6 minutes ago, darell1976 said:

UND was picked 8th to 10th because they sucked last year. They were 4-14 in the conference and 8-22 overall, very bad. There is nowhere to go but up, not the worst coach but not a great coach either. He is average by definition. Jones has finished above .500 4 times (including this year) in his career, under .500 4 times and at .500 twice, so pretty much average. Did the team overachieve this season yes, but to a point.  

Guess what daryl the Big Sky does have 12 teams...pretty much common knowledge there is room to go down ... 9 and are worse than 8 and 11 and 12 are worse than 10th.... just ask No.Az or So,Utah....

• Downvote 4

Just now, hoops44 said:

Guess what daryl the Big Sky does have 12 teams...pretty much common knowledge there is room to go down just ask No.Az or So,Utah....

Last year NAU was 13-5, and SUU was 7-11, UND was tied for last with ISU and MSU at 4-14....UND was at the bottom.

• Downvote 1

UND Greatly exceeded expectations 4th best closing RPI in BSC for a team pick 8-10th.. Overall record is completely lame as Most BSC teams play most of their non conference D1 games away from home VS teams from stronger conferences.. There is a reason nearly all BSC teams began the BSC with a losing record...MT was 3-7 NC this year .. very basic common sense for average intelligent objective people

• Upvote 1

I realize that a lot of people want Jones fired.  I don't think anyone knows what is going to happen with his job situation.    Until that happens, it sure would be nice to spend  a little more time talking about the positives.   We are going to have a very talented and exciting   basketball team next year.    Let's talk about that.    Of course the negative posting will start immediately.  Go to it.

• Upvote 1

• 8 months later...

I was reading the USD MBB forum.  Sounds like some are not too happy with their Men's coach.  When he was hired, some on here were hoping he could come here to replace Jones.  Funny how quickly some fans turn on their coaches.  I am not a huge Brian Jones fan, but it seems like when the Conference Tourney comes around most years, he does have the team playing their best basketball at the right time.  Lets hope things start out good tonight.  Any one know who if any will redshirt this year?

31 minutes ago, UND92 said:

I was reading the USD MBB forum.  Sounds like some are not too happy with their Men's coach.  When he was hired, some on here were hoping he could come here to replace Jones.  Funny how quickly some fans turn on their coaches.  I am not a huge Brian Jones fan, but it seems like when the Conference Tourney comes around most years, he does have the team playing their best basketball at the right time.  Lets hope things start out good tonight.  Any one know who if any will redshirt this year?

Jones should redshirt 1 or 2 of the freshman ....but he does not seem big on redshirting...collins could have redshirted but jones played him.  I guess we will find out tonight if anyone is redshirted.  

50 minutes ago, UND92 said:

Jones have been our coach since 2006-07 season (our second to last year in DII), he finished above .500 last season (17-16) for the first time since our GWC days ( 2011-12). Craig Smith the USD coach is starting his third season. 17-16 his first year and 14-18 his second season. Smith's first season was the first winning season by a USD coach since the GWC days (2010-11), so they shouldn't be too pissed at him. We have been stuck with average basketball for a decade, while USD had a bad season last year. Suck it up Coyotes you aren't going to be a 20 game winner every year...just as us as we haven't won 20 games with Jones yet.

24 minutes ago, hoops44 said:

Jones should redshirt 1 or 2 of the freshman ....but he does not seem big on redshirting...collins could have redshirted but jones played him.  I guess we will find out tonight if anyone is redshirted.  

Wasn't Crown College a regular season game (the schedule doesn't show it as an exhibition)? Therefore, wouldn't the redshirt have been pulled on both of the freshman?

12 minutes ago, cpa_guy said:

Wasn't Crown College a regular season game (the schedule doesn't show it as an exhibition)? Therefore, wouldn't the redshirt have been pulled on both of the freshman?

Crown College was indeed a regular season game. We have no exhibition games this year.

On ‎11‎/‎15‎/‎2016 at 5:52 PM, UND92 said:

You could look at it in the manner you described or you could feel that his teams have underperformed for the majority of most seasons during his time on campus.

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

I've said it multiple times that I am not a great basketball mind, but I've never been totally sold on Jones. He's put a few nice season together, and certainly brought in some fun players. Huff, Hooker, Nash, etc.

I do hope he does well and can stick around, because it does suck to have to start over, new recruits, new style of play and so on. I guess we'll know more as the season moves forward.

Is not renewing a contract the same as firing? 

If a change in coaching does happen I'm hoping that doesn't necessarily mean we lose a bunch of players. If they have bought into the school, their education, the program - then they realize that UND will bring in a quality coach and that coach will reach out to them immediately. 

22 minutes ago, siouxfan512 said:

I've said it multiple times that I am not a great basketball mind, but I've never been totally sold on Jones. He's put a few nice season together, and certainly brought in some fun players. Huff, Hooker, Nash, etc.

I do hope he does well and can stick around, because it does suck to have to start over, new recruits, new style of play and so on. I guess we'll know more as the season moves forward.

See UND football. Change can be a good thing in the long run.

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, CMSioux said:

Is not renewing a contract the same as firing? 

If a change in coaching does happen I'm hoping that doesn't necessarily mean we lose a bunch of players. If they have bought into the school, their education, the program - then they realize that UND will bring in a quality coach and that coach will reach out to them immediately. 

I am sure some will defect, but depending on Jones' replacement we could be getting players who want to play for someone other than Jones. Being around .500 for 3 out of the last 4 years and not even a postseason victory is getting old.

4 minutes ago, darell1976 said:

See UND football. Change can be a good thing in the long run.

1 minute ago, darell1976 said:

I am sure some will defect, but depending on Jones' replacement we could be getting players who want to play for someone other than Jones. Being around .500 for 3 out of the last 4 years and not even a postseason victory is getting old.

Not going to disagree with that. I guess a lot of it comes down to who is available as well. Like I said, I don't know much about basketball, but you definitely want to get the "right" guy. Replacing Jones, just to replace him, isn't necessarily a good move either. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, siouxfan512 said:

Not going to disagree with that. I guess a lot of it comes down to who is available as well. Like I said, I don't know much about basketball, but you definitely want to get the "right" guy. Replacing Jones, just to replace him, isn't necessarily a good move either. 

That is an excellent point. If Jones were to leave I hope Faison just doesn't pick someone just to fill the void. Maybe Phil Jackson is available.;)

1 hour ago, darell1976 said:

That is an excellent point. If Jones were to leave I hope Faison just doesn't pick someone just to fill the void. Maybe Phil Jackson is available.;)

I believe that rumor was confirmed in a different thread. Not only will Phil be returning to Grand Forks, but he will also be donating a new on-campus stadium for the football team. :)

• Upvote 2