SiouxSports.com Forum

BRIAN JONES BSC COACH OF THE YEAR!!!

hoops44

30 minutes ago, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

Agree, his past teams weren't that overly talented that he under coached them. This is the most talented team he has had, he now deserves a short extension and a raise, short meaning, being what happened here at UND with Musselman's extension. Go Hawks!

Most talented could be debated.  Brekke at the 5, Nash at the 4, Huff at the 3, Anderson/Schuler at the 2 and Webb at the 1, with Schuler/Anderson first off the bench against the current team would be one hell of a game.  Problem with the team mentioned above was the chemistry and selfish play. If this team from a few years ago moved the ball and hit the open player like this years team then that would have been special.  At the time Weber and Montana were very solid teams and Huff and company lost to them in the finals minus Brekke, Schuler and Webb at Weber.  Full strength and at a neutral site I believe UND would have danced that year.  Maybe Jones learned a thing or two after coaching that team.

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

Some people on this forum think Jones is a better recruiter than coach. I suppose that is open to interpretation. And I am a little concerned about the women's team losing to lower seeds year after year in the Big Sky tournament. But overall, I think both programs have the potential to be perennial contenders in the Big Sky (and in a couple of years, the Summit).

He is a good recruiter and may be a good coach (need more than one year to prove this), he and UND went through a lot to get us here, look at my list a few posts back, IMO I can't over emphasis this. I honestly think he has the horses this year to get to the Dance, not so much in the past. These players are disciplined (that's most definitely part of a good horse), and he has showed us that. Watch Jones on the side line and how he keeps the players doing what he wants done, this is part of why he got COY, that's why he won some of them close games.  A lot of bouncy ball games can go either way in the last few minutes of a game, let's at least say more so than compared to FB & MH.    Go Hawks! We're in one day at a time mode.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, NODAK13 said:

Most talented could be debated.  Brekke at the 5, Nash at the 4, Huff at the 3, Anderson/Schuler at the 2 and Webb at the 1, with Schuler/Anderson first off the bench against the current team would be one hell of a game.  Problem with the team mentioned above was the chemistry and selfish play. If this team from a few years ago moved the ball and hit the open player like this years team then that would have been special.  At the time Weber and Montana were very solid teams and Huff and company lost to them in the finals minus Brekke, Schuler and Webb at Weber.  Full strength and at a neutral site I believe UND would have danced that year.

The talent comparison isn't even close.  This team would kill that Huff-led squad.

13 hours ago, the green team said:

I can't believe I'm stepping into this... but I did post this on the women's forum yesterday after the tough loss.

I don't really like comparing the Men and Women as it's apples and oranges but for curiosity sake

Looking at the 5 year run in the Big Sky tournament for the Women is interesting

Year 1: Didn't qualify for 8 team field

Year 2: Took care of business at home

Year 3: Lost as the 6 seed in only game of tournament to 3 seed N. Colorado

Year 4: Upset by 9 seed Idaho State in Semis

Year 5: Upset by 7 seed Portland State in Quarters.  

Reno has been tough on UND.

Now for the Men,

Year 1:  Finished 3rd in the Big Sky Regular Season (which was the highest finish by a Big Sky Newcomer Men's team since the league's inception) Won a quarterfinal game, lost a classic Semifinal.

Year 2: Finished tied for 2nd....Won 2 games in Big Sky Tournament before losing in the final at Weber

Year 3: Lost year---didn't make the tournament.

Year 4:  Tied for 4th,  Won 2 games in tournament, losing in a classic semifinal to....Weber State

Year 5: Won Quarterfinal

Here's a question, who has more Big Sky Tournament wins since joining the conference?  Men or Women?

As far as the D1 transition years are concerned...there was some good and some bad, but remember UND essentially went to Huff, Anderson, and Webb as freshman and the team got better each of their Freshman and sophomore seasons where they played their best basketball to win the post season tournaments.

I just think, that saying the women's program has been more consistent is a rather cloudy comparison at best.

Go UND

Move along. Nothing to see here. Analytics and data are not appreciated on this board. Only personal bias accepted. 

• Upvote 4

6 minutes ago, UND1981 said:

IMO G&Q are the best guard combo we've ever had at UND. 

Just now, UND1981 said:

2nd best combo would be Rico B. and Mike Boschee IMO.

All of this.........^^^^^^^^^

1 hour ago, jdub27 said:

Not sure I can agree with that. All teams lose games they shouldn't during the year, it happens. Which of the years do you think they underachieved and lost out when they were clearly the more talented team? They have yet to be upset in the conference tournament, losing to a 1 or 2 seed each year. The women's team, who you claimed to be more consistent, have now been upset two years in a row.

This isn't saying I didn't expect them to win any of those years. I think they were on par talent-wise at least one or two of them and had a legit shot at winning, I just don't think they lost to a clearly inferior team in the tournament any of those years.

Not the conference tournament but lost in the first round of the CIT to a DII transfer team.

• Upvote 1

Compared to past years this team makes free throws consistently, rebounds, is aggressive on defense and can hit clutch threes.

Anyone remember a few years ago when rebounding and free throw shooting was atrocious? We lost many games in the last 3 minutes. 

Still got the same coach, just different players who are making the plays. 

5 minutes ago, CMSioux said:

Compared to past years this team makes free throws consistently, rebounds, is aggressive on defense and can hit clutch threes.

Anyone remember a few years ago when rebounding and free throw shooting was atrocious? We lost many games in the last 3 minutes. 

Still got the same coach, just different players who are making the plays. 

And its making a big difference. Same with the players not out there balling, or shooting the ball saying "look at me". They are a solid team, playing like a team. Jones has turned things around. Big question is can he do this constantly. Thats why I am not opposed to an extension. I want to see if the next group can get 20 wins, a conference title, and make a big run to the dance.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

12 minutes ago, Cratter said:

Who would have thought if UND wins the next two games...Brewster will be on a hotter seat than Jones?

It's nice to have all the major sports at UND with solid head coaches. (Especially if UND makes the dance on Saturday)

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, darell1976 said:

He wouldn't be on the hot seat. 

His seat would get a lot cooler. And it would buy him a three to four year extension.

As for Brewster, I am not ready to give up on him. But these almost annual playoff losses to lower seeds are troubling and are becoming a trend. Hopefully they'll figure that out in the years to come.

• Upvote 1

• 2 years later...