SiouxSports.com Forum

Early departures 2017

cberkas

6 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

7 and 9 make 16. 

5 hours ago, tnt said:

Apparently not completely because like I said he led the team in scoring after they left.  

OF COURSE losing talent like Oshie and Toews will make someone NOT be a Hobey Baker winner, but Dunc was still one of our best players the next two years.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, ksl_sioux4ever said:

I just heard Wilkie is leaving to go to CC. Sit this year And play the next two with his brother

That would make sense.

The team normally has 15 F but it ran with 14 F last year; we lost Boeser and Jost; that's three slots but Schlossman has been saying four, Jones, Kawaguchi, Mismash, and Adams, are coming. I kind of expected to hear of a forward departing. 

15 minutes ago, ksl_sioux4ever said:

I just heard Wilkie is leaving to go to CC. Sit this year And play the next two with his brother

If that is the case, then good luck to him. I'd imagine he could take on a bigger role with CC. Kid still has talent, and once he gets going could still have a nice college career.

3 hours ago, ksl_sioux4ever said:

He'll fit in nicely with an entire team that can't score! Much better spot for him! He's kind of a googley eyed kid anyway

Article on Wilkie transferring from the CC Gazette:

http://gazette.com/north-dakota-forward-chris-wilkie-transfers-to-colorado-college-hockey/article/1602824

He took a little longer to adjust to the college game than originally anticipated with how his last USHL year went, but he might have been one of those players that really blossomed in his jr/sr years.  With the depth at forward that UND will have next season, he might have been worried about watching too many games from the stands.  He has a great shot though, just couldn't get it off as much as we'd have liked.

Best of luck at CC, Chris...unless you're playing against your old team.

• Upvote 1

44 minutes ago, brianvf said:

Article on Wilkie transferring from the CC Gazette:

http://gazette.com/north-dakota-forward-chris-wilkie-transfers-to-colorado-college-hockey/article/1602824

He took a little longer to adjust to the college game than originally anticipated with how his last USHL year went, but he might have been one of those players that really blossomed in his jr/sr years.  With the depth at forward that UND will have next season, he might have been worried about watching too many games from the stands.  He has a great shot though, just couldn't get it off as much as we'd have liked.

Best of luck at CC, Chris...unless you're playing against your old team.

Unfortunately, he's just not fast enough and/or skate well enough to get open to get that shot off, with regularity. 

Seems like a good kid and I hope he gets his shot at CC.

31 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Unfortunately, he's just not fast enough and/or skate well enough to get open to get that shot off, with regularity. 

Seems like a good kid and I hope he gets his shot at CC.

I don't think it's all his skating because I don't believe he's that bad of a skater (I've seen worse), I think it's more his positioning and the fact it takes him forever to get it off (release is very slow).

As I've said before, I really wish these guys would hang around and try to crack the lineup as an upperclassman.  I get he's getting some push back because he isn't playing, but the writing is on the wall. If he cant crack UND's lineup, there is a minuscule chance he does anything after college playing hockey.   

16 minutes ago, scpa0305 said:

I don't think it's all his skating because I don't believe he's that bad of a skater (I've seen worse), I think it's more his positioning and the fact it takes him forever to get it off (release is very slow).

As I've said before, I really wish these guys would hang around and try to crack the lineup as an upperclassman.  I get he's getting some push back because he isn't playing, but the writing is on the wall. If he cant crack UND's lineup, there is a minuscule chance he does anything after college playing hockey.   

Yeah, he's fine skating forward, I was talking more lateral movement and quickness to find empty space. I agree his release isn't very good, too.

Yeah, it bums me out when guys don't stick it out and try and get better to move into the lineup, but if you can step into a guaranteed role with another team, it can only help him potentially improve his pro stock. He needs to put up points.

I wish him well going forward.  CC is a good school in a great conference, and he'll get to play with his brother.  Tough to leave your buddies and your school, but I understand a kid making a different decision than he did when he was 16.  (or in many cases younger)  Sounds like he was well liked and a good teammate.  

• Upvote 1

Granted he went low in the draft but he's been drafted nonetheless so in his mind, he's got a lot at stake and being a consistent healthy scratch isn't going to help him develop so I don't fault him one bit for transferring to CC where he'll get to play hockey with his kid brother. Plus, given the lack of talent as compared to UND, he should have no problem cracking the lineup as well as being out on the ice in key situations.

I would have loved to see Wilkie succeed here, I was hoping this would be his breakout year. Good luck Chris, I am sure you will be playing in the Ralph again but this time wearing a CC jersey. 

Didn't Wade Murphy transfer to ASU, sit out a season, play a season, then leave to play pro? Wonder if Wilkie will end up doing the same. Of course then he may not be able to play with his brother. 

12 minutes ago, crb1 said:

I would have loved to see Wilkie succeed here, I was hoping this would be his breakout year. Good luck Chris, I am sure you will be playing in the Ralph again but this time wearing a CC jersey. 

Didn't Wade Murphy transfer to ASU, sit out a season, play a season, then leave to play pro? Wonder if Wilkie will end up doing the same. Of course then he may not be able to play with his brother. 

With ASU, Murphy probably was only going to play one season.

3 minutes ago, MafiaMan said:

Damn...and Wilkie was ON FIRE at the end of last season!

Uh-huh. Uh-huh. 

That 1-5-6 scoring line (with no multi-point games), 7 healthy scratchs, and 8 no-point games after the first of the year (21 games) screams "EN FUEGO!" ;) 

Stats source: http://www.undsports.com//fls/13500/stats/mhockey/2016-17/TEAMGBG.HTM#IGBG.GAP