SiouxSports.com Forum

Early departures 2017

cberkas

16 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

I said college hockey powers (plural), not just UND. And you can't just focus on the NCAA title teams, look at some of the early departures for teams that made it to the Frozen Four. Last year's Boston College team lost a ton of players and didn't make the tournament this year. This year's Boston University team lost most (if not all) their "diaper dandies" after Duluth beat them in OT in the regional final in Fargo.

I wish early signings would not be so prevalent in college hockey, but it is what it is.

My problem with your argument is that you are using a couple of relatively rare (and quite different) situations to state that this particular Denver team will have several early departures.  I just have not seen anything to suggest that is true (and indeed I have heard from well connected sources that DU does not expect several early departures).  I focused on NCAA title teams to highlight the problem with your argument where you said losing several players early is especially true with NCAA title winners.  That is simply not fact.

• Upvote 2

Found the following comment under one of Schlossman's blog posts.

"Random comment but it appears Matt Kierstad will be coming in next year. Collin Adams tweeted about him and Kierstad being roomies (this is around the time of year when schools send emails to students letting them know their roommate assignments)"

Kierstad retweeted Adams post, so I assume he is coming next year? Could just mean a one day thing as well. Bast (96) and Rieger (96) have to come in no matter what. Does anyone know if Kierstad is going to be here next year? If that's the case, is it possible someone else is leaving like Wolanin or one of the two freshman dman that are signed aren't? 

17 hours ago, fsioux said:

So things have changed a little bit with Borgstrom.  A couple of weeks ago the hockey pundits made it sound like he was very likely to come back.  If Montgomery does decide to leave, that will be a significant factor in some of these players decisions.  You just won a Natty, new coach coming in with a new personality and possible philosophical differences.  Life probably does not get better at DU than it was this past year.  I have no doubt they will continue to field a strong team, however they are losing a significant number of players and talent even without early departures.

Bjorgstrom and Monty should just go to Florida together.  Win-Win! :)

• Upvote 1

52 minutes ago, southpaw said:

Nein, das is Hefeweissbier auf Deutsch.

The German engineers I took to dinner ordered "hefeweisen" ... of course it was probably understood they wanted beer given where we were. No further comment. :whistling:

Then again, a different night they ordered "liebfraumilch". 

11 hours ago, AJS said:

"Random comment but it appears Matt Kierstad will be coming in next year. Collin Adams tweeted about him and Kierstad being roomies (this is around the time of year when schools send emails to students letting them know their roommate assignments)"

Kierstad retweeted Adams post, so I assume he is coming next year? Could just mean a one day thing as well. Bast (96) and Rieger (96) have to come in no matter what. Does anyone know if Kierstad is going to be here next year? If that's the case, is it possible someone else is leaving like Wolanin or one of the two freshman dman that are signed aren't? 

I would suspect that maybe Chartrand is not coming back.  His playing time has been non-existent.

16 hours ago, AJS said:

I saw that as well...looks like he'll be coming in.  Kind of shocking to come in and battle for a 6th spot, especially how good both him and bast are.  There are always injuries though.

28 minutes ago, scpa0305 said:

I saw that as well...looks like he'll be coming in.  Kind of shocking to come in and battle for a 6th spot, especially how good both him and bast are.  There are always injuries though.

Anyone know if there are any UND players still deciding on if the are returning or not <<see Wolanin>>. Is Rieger a walk on or getting scholarship $$? I guess it would make sense if Rieger was a walk-on to bring in Bast / Kierstad as the 6 / 7 guys and have Rieger for depth purposes (if Chartland possibly moves on).. I just really, really hope there isn't a potential departure from the 5 returners.

https://undhockey.areavoices.com/?p=106674

Montgomery situation, talking about players leaving early, if he were too.

“If my situation was to change, I think they would think long and hard about changing, too,” Montgomery told the Denver Post. “If I was to leave, I know one of those guys for sure is gone.”

It seemed like an odd comment and I didn’t know what to make of it. <-- Schlossman

Definitely sounds like he's trying to leverage a better deal from Denver, but I think he comes off looking terrible.

Monty knows that Borgstrom is likely NHL ready, and wherever he goes the kid will likely follow.  

IMHO don't think he's trying to get himself an extension at Denver.  He is just being brutally honest with departures if he leaves.  

11 hours ago, fightingsioux4life said:

Probably not.

So Mike Chambers, who has far more inside contacts than I do, came out with his percentages on the early departures:

Borgstrom: 80-20 to return.  Before the tournament, I had heard he was almost certainly coming back for his sophomore year.  After the tournament, I had heard he was 50/50.  From what I heard yesterday, I think 80 percent to return is a bit high.  If Montgomery leaves, it sounds like Borgstrom will go from 50/50 to lean toward signing early. 

Gambrell: 50-50 to return.  The last I heard he was leaning towards signing early, and it sounds like he is the player who will "definitely be leaving early" if Montgomery signs.  I think 50/50 is a bit high.

Hammond: 90-10 to return.  I haven't heard anything about Hammond signing early.

Jaillet: 70-30 to return.  As I said previously, nobody seems to have any indication on whether Jaillet will sign.  I think 70-30 sounds about right. 

Terry: 70-30 to return.  This is pretty much exactly what I've heard.  Terry is leaning towards returning for his junior season. 

http://www.denverpost.com/2017/04/20/denver-pioneers-uneasy-offseason/

1 minute ago, Fighting Sioux 23 said:

So Mike Chambers, who has far more inside contacts than I do, came out with his percentages on the early departures:

Borgstrom: 80-20 to return.  Before the tournament, I had heard he was almost certainly coming back for his sophomore year.  After the tournament, I had heard he was 50/50.  From what I heard yesterday, I think 80 percent to return is a bit high.  If Montgomery leaves, it sounds like Borgstrom will go from 50/50 to lean toward signing early. 

Gambrell: 50-50 to return.  The last I heard he was leaning towards signing early, and it sounds like he is the player who will "definitely be leaving early" if Montgomery signs.  I think 50/50 is a bit high.

Hammond: 90-10 to return.  I haven't heard anything about Hammond signing early.

Jaillet: 70-30 to return.  As I said previously, nobody seems to have any indication on whether Jaillet will sign.  I think 70-30 sounds about right. 

Terry: 70-30 to return.  This is pretty much exactly what I've heard.  Terry is leaning towards returning for his junior season. 

http://www.denverpost.com/2017/04/20/denver-pioneers-uneasy-offseason/

They'll be good.  They have a good kid coming in from the BC as well.