SiouxSports.com Forum

Big Sky Tournament

NODAK13

11 minutes ago, Thumper 76 said:

To add to this, when was the last time a Big Sky team got better than a 16 seed? I honestly have no idea and am curious. This will be the first time in a while that the Summit has gotten a 16, and that was from a mid pick team that got hot in a year where everyone was jumbled together. Also it was the first year that a 1 or a 2 seed wasn't in the championship game since the 90's I believe. The bottom line is that the Summit gets more respect and attention nationally as a conference and for the atmosphere of the tournament and it shows when seeds are handed out to the big dance. Also, I would be willing to bet the first two days of the women's tournament in the Summit out drew the Big Sky tournament men's and women's combined or was close. Not tryin to rag on the Sky, really I'm not, but to try and say the Summit is worse in comparison is at best dishonest.

Montana was a 13 seed a few years ago.  Got destroyed by Syracuse.

Even if NDSU had won the Summit they would have been a 15 seed.  Conference was down this year with all teams being "pretty good", no dominant teams.  

15 minutes ago, Thumper 76 said:

To add to this, when was the last time a Big Sky team got better than a 16 seed? I honestly have no idea and am curious. This will be the first time in a while that the Summit has gotten a 16, and that was from a mid pick team that got hot in a year where everyone was jumbled together. Also it was the first year that a 1 or a 2 seed wasn't in the championship game since the 90's I believe. The bottom line is that the Summit gets more respect and attention nationally as a conference and for the atmosphere of the tournament and it shows when seeds are handed out to the big dance. Also, I would be willing to bet the first two days of the women's tournament in the Summit out drew the Big Sky tournament men's and women's combined or was close. Not tryin to rag on the Sky, really I'm not, but to try and say the Summit is worse in comparison is at best dishonest.

Actually in the past 5 years we've had Weber (15), E Wash (13), Weber (16), Montana (13), Montana (13). Though most of those years the Summit was still seeded higher. I believe the Summit was seeded at 12 twice in the past 5 years.

18 hours ago, SiouxVolley said:

IPFW, IUPUI, and Western Illinois are dregs of that conference who don't even provide a good travel stop.  The Big Sky is just so much more of a sexier conference.  A tournament in Sioux Falls vs one in Reno?  For someone who lives far from ND, the Slummit is so much more unappealing for travel locations.  For most of the Slummit's existence, schools have wanted out, not in like UND has done.

IPFW beat Indiana this season. WTF makes the BSC "sexier"? Is it Cheney? Maybe Moscow or Greeley? The Summit is a much different conference with the Dakota schools now the nucleus. I think it's only going to get better.

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, darell1976 said:

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/bracketology

Updated today

They have us (175 RPI) in a play in game vs New Orleans (178 RPI)....winner to play Kansas.

SDSU #16 vs Gonzaga. 

Mt. St. Mary's (160 RPI) vs North Carolina Central (218 RPI) the other #16 play in. 

Updated currently per ESPN.

SDSU - 156 RPI

Jacksonville St. (15 seed) - 152 RPI

Mt. St. Mary's, SDSU, Jax St have all won their tournaments, so have no more games to play. Would it be possible for UND to climb 20 spots with 3 wins (except for East Washington all teams significantly below them in the RPI)? As it sits right now, the real disappointing thing was, I think UND was around 155 before the loss to Sac State, which had them tumble like 20 / 25 spots in the RPI. 

9 hours ago, Thumper 76 said:

Just a little of an apples to oranges comparison.  It my is my understanding that the Summit/Midcontinent has always had a semi-neutral/neutral site for the conference tournament (Moline, Springfield, Fort Wayne, Kanas City, Tulsa and then Sioux Falls) Big Sky has always had host schools.  Last year is the first time that the Big Sky committed to growing a true neutral site conference tournament.  School officials know that it is going to take time to grow the tournament because fans are not used to travelling for the tournament.  Obviously the numbers would look much better if UND/Weber St or Montana typical host schools were continuing to host the tournament. 

After 5 years, I am sure school officials will look to see how the experiment is going.  I always thought the Boise (5 schools fairly close), Spokane (4 schools very close together) or Salt Lake City more of a regional center would have been better choices.  Reno is kind of in the middle of nowhere for the conference.  The closest school is Sac St at 2 1/2 hour drive next closest is Weber St. which is 7 or 8 hour drive.  It is a much different problem to solve than Summit League.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, SWSiouxMN said:

Great Big Sky officiating strikes against on a stupid Tech call on Sac State, Katz losing his mind right now

Huge momentum swing.  Sac St on 11-1 run when T called.  Katz still following ref around court on the way to locker room.

23 hours ago, jdub27 said:

Big Sky has only been a 16 seed twice in the last decade.

2016: SDSU - 12 and Weber - 15 - Summit
2015: NDSU - 15 and EWU - 13 - Big Sky
2014: NDSU - 12 and Weber - 16 - Summit
2013: SDSU - 13 and Montana - 13 - Push
2012: SDSU - 14 and Montana - 13 - Big Sky
2011: Oakland - 13 and UNC - 15 - Summit
2010: Oakland - 14 and Montana - 14 - Push
2009: NDSU - 14 and Portland State - 13 - Big Sky
2008: ORU - 13 and Portland State - 16 - Summit
2007: ORU - 14 and Weber - 15 - Summit

Avg for the Summit: 13.4
Avg for the Big Sky: 14.3

While the Summit has had a slightly better seed in the last decade (less than 1 spot), the respect and attention nationally is a little bit of a stretch.

As has been stated a million times, the Summit has had a lot easier route to boosting their RPI strictly based on proximity to higher ranked schools and having a couple extra OOC games to schedule. As I stated earlier in this thread: the Summit has 9 teams and went 4-28 against top 100 teams, however of those games, they played 15 against top 50 RPI teams (0-15). The Big Sky has 12 teams was 3-25 against top 100 teams, however they only played 6 games against top 50 RPI teams (0-6). Games against top 100 teams is almost identical in terms of record and games played, but the difference in games against top 50 programs has a huge effect on RPI.

Thanks, I didn't know. I think the playing top 50 schools is a bit disingenuous to be honest. I mean USD played Gonzaga and SDSU traveled to Cal. There may be more top 100 schools closer to Summit schools but there's a lot more schools around to schedule them in the area as well. It's more of a want to improve your conference issue IMO. Look at the wbb in the Summit, AJ challenged the other schools to go schedule better and the conference RPI has really gone up. The fact that you have 3 more teams and played less top 100 schools isn't just location. 

Anyways, I'm happy with you guys coming into the Summit. Should help the conference and add to the Summit Tournament atmosphere even more. Not a fan of adding to the MVFC personally for scheduling purposes, but hey, it's happening. I'll get over it. 

4 minutes ago, Thumper 76 said:

Thanks, I didn't know. I think the playing top 50 schools is a bit disingenuous to be honest. I mean USD played Gonzaga and SDSU traveled to Cal. There may be more top 100 schools closer to Summit schools but there's a lot more schools around to schedule them in the area as well. It's more of a want to improve your conference issue IMO. Look at the wbb in the Summit, AJ challenged the other schools to go schedule better and the conference RPI has really gone up. The fact that you have 3 more teams and played less top 100 schools isn't just location. 

Anyways, I'm happy with you guys coming into the Summit. Should help the conference and add to the Summit Tournament atmosphere even more. Not a fan of adding to the MVFC personally for scheduling purposes, but hey, it's happening. I'll get over it. 

Definitely looking forward to moving into the Summit. Watching the Summit tourney compared to the Big Sky tourney, the atmosphere looks awesome! Definitely fun to align with some regional schools.

As for the MVFC, I get the concern with scheduling. Maybe they will figure that out by the time UND starts, or soon there after, either with another team coming, or another team leaving. Either way, should make for some fun matchups.

Good luck in the tourney (you are a SDSU fan, right?)!

30 minutes ago, Thumper 76 said:

I disagree a little bit on the disingenuous comment. Due to how simple the RPI calculation is, I'd argue it is just as disingenuous when people use that as their only argument on why one team (or conference) is better than another. RPI is very easily manipulated and credit to the Summit for making an effort to improve their schedule to bump up their RPI. I wish the Big Sky would be able do more of that as well, but there just isn't as many options, though I do agree that the teams need to make more of an effort for the good of the conference. It is what it is at this point though. Just want to point out that, Lunardi's bracket today has UND as a 15 seed (vs. Baylor) and SDSU in a play-in game (vs. Mt. St. Mary's, winner plays Villanova).

I agree on the Summit conference tournament. I can see myself making that, whereas Reno would be a much tougher sell.

1 minute ago, jdub27 said:

I disagree a little bit on the disingenuous comment. Due to how simple the RPI calculation is, I'd argue it is just as disingenuous when people use that as their only argument on why one team (or conference) is better than another. RPI is very easily manipulated and credit to the Summit for making an effort to improve their schedule to bump up their RPI. I wish the Big Sky would be able do more of that as well, but there just isn't as many options, though I do agree that the teams need to make more of an effort for the good of the conference. It is what it is at this point though. Just want to point out that, Lunardi's bracket today has UND as a 15 seed (vs. Baylor) and SDSU in a play-in game (vs. Mt. St. Mary's, winner plays Villanova).

I agree on the Summit conference tournament. I can see myself making that, whereas Reno would be a much tougher sell.

Big Sky should've made Denver or Vegas work for the tourney.  I can understand Reno being something of a destination town, but it just isn't as easy/cheap to get to.