SiouxSports.com Forum

2017 NHL Expansion Draft

cberkas

Oh noooooo! Someone is going to be upset. :D

Dana Lane @DanaLaneNHL 36m36 minutes ago 

Marc Andre Fleury has accepted the #Penguins request to waive his NMC but only for Las Vegas. #NHL #Vegas

Steve CarpVerified account @stevecarprj 2h2 hours ago 

Marc-Andre Fleury has agreed to waive his no-move clause. Looks like the Golden Knights have found their starting goaltender.Details to come

15 minutes ago, Ray77 said:

I think a few people are going to be upset.  Both DaveK and Roosevelt83 are the first 2 that come to mind...;)

If anyone that needs a goalie really bad trades and with Vegas they can take Fleury. Think if the Flyers or Capitals traded with Vegas and got Fleury in the expansion draft, heads would explode.

2 hours ago, cberkas said:

If anyone that needs a goalie really bad trades and with Vegas they can take Fleury. Think if the Flyers or Capitals traded with Vegas and got Fleury in the expansion draft, heads would explode.

Don't think that would be possible as his contract would still have a no trade clause?

8 minutes ago, nodak651 said:

Don't think that would be possible as his contract would still have a no trade clause?

He has to wave the no trade clause to be exposed, same thing as Phaneuf is being asked to do by Ottawa. It has be brought up that Vegas could get Fleury in the expansion draft and turn around and deal him for draft picks. Calgary from what I've heard wants Fleury.

9 hours ago, cberkas said:

Oh noooooo! Someone is going to be upset. :D

Dana Lane @DanaLaneNHL 36m36 minutes ago 

Marc Andre Fleury has accepted the #Penguins request to waive his NMC but only for Las Vegas. #NHL #Vegas

Steve CarpVerified account @stevecarprj 2h2 hours ago 

Marc-Andre Fleury has agreed to waive his no-move clause. Looks like the Golden Knights have found their backup starting goaltender.Details to come

FYP :D

Rumor is the Golden Knights are working a deal with the Blue Jackets to get David Clarkson.

I don't get how a player that is for the most part retired still getting paid his contract. Why doesn't the league take over these contracts like Prongers? 

26 minutes ago, cberkas said:

Rumor is the Golden Knights are working a deal with the Blue Jackets to get David Clarkson.

I don't get how a player that is for the most part retired still getting paid his contract. Why doesn't the league take over these contracts like Prongers? 

I could be wrong, but I believe Pronger is under contract with the Coyotes.  He works for the NHL, but is being paid by the Coyotes.

Sounds like the Clarkson deal is that Vegas will take Clarkson's contract in exchange for the Blue Jackets' 1st round pick (#24 overall).

15 minutes ago, Ray77 said:

I could be wrong, but I believe Pronger is under contract with the Coyotes.  He works for the NHL, but is being paid by the Coyotes.

Sounds like the Clarkson deal is that Vegas will take Clarkson's contract in exchange for the Blue Jackets' 1st round pick (#24 overall).

And a prospect too.

To me if a player can get off LTIR and is basically retired the the league should take over these types of contracts. Prongers contract killed the Flyers.

Coyotes with Pronger's and Datsyuk's contracts is a joke. 

That my opinion on it.

Columbus gets rid of a bad contract and gets a pick in the expansion draft (or that's how I think it works).

1 minute ago, cberkas said:

And a prospect too.

To me if a player can get off LTIR and is basically retired the the league should take over these types of contracts. Prongers contract killed the Flyers.

Coyotes with Pronger's and Datsyuk's contracts is a joke. 

That my opinion on it.

I'm trying to think this through.  Here are my first take comments on that...

I think I agree that the Coyotes with Pronger's and Datsyuk's contracts is a joke.  For a team to take on contracts of players that aren't in the league for the sake of taking on salary to meet the salary floor, that shouldn't happen.

However, maybe what should happen is that the team that signed the player (or that the player is with at the time when they get injured) should have to keep that player and not be able to trade their rights to another team like the Coyotes to help them reach the salary floor.  Your comment "Prongers contract killed the Flyers" is the Flyers issue to deal with.  They gave him that contract.  They should have to live with it.

6 minutes ago, Ray77 said:

I'm trying to think this through.  Here are my first take comments on that...

I think I agree that the Coyotes with Pronger's and Datsyuk's contracts is a joke.  For a team to take on contracts of players that aren't in the league for the sake of taking on salary to meet the salary floor, that shouldn't happen.

However, maybe what should happen is that the team that signed the player (or that the player is with at the time when they get injured) should have to keep that player and not be able to trade their rights to another team like the Coyotes to help them reach the salary floor.  Your comment "Prongers contract killed the Flyers" is the Flyers issue to deal with.  They gave him that contract.  They should have to live with it.

I get it's the Flyers problem on the Pronger contract. Are the Flyers to blame that Pronger ended up with a eye injury that ended his career? Now lets say Crosby gets another big contract and has a concussion that ends his career. I don't like the Penguins, but should they get stuck with his contract if Crosby's career is over because of a concussion that has yet to happen?

2 minutes ago, cberkas said:

I get it's the Flyers problem on the Pronger contract. Are the Flyers to blame that Pronger ended up with a eye injury that ended his career? Now lets say Crosby gets another big contract and has a concussion that ends his career. I don't like the Penguins, but should they get stuck with his contract if Crosby's career is over because of a concussion that has yet to happen?

Yeah, I understand where you're going there.  I just think it's a slippery slope when having the NHL bail out teams in certain situations.  It would have to be very clear what would and would not qualify for a league bailout.

8 minutes ago, cberkas said:

Don't teams have some kind of insurance for situations like this?

Just now, Ray77 said:

Yeah, I understand where you're going there.  I just think it's a slippery slope when having the NHL bail out teams in certain situations.  It would have to be very clear what would and would not qualify for a league bailout.

Yeah, and the league should say that an expansion team can't take on a bad contract right away.

14 hours ago, cberkas said:

I'd take this one:

Hypothetical No. 2: Wild trade Jonas Brodin to the Bruins

Boston gets: Jonas Brodin, 2017 fifth-round draft pick
Minnesota gets: 2017 first-round draft pick, Colin Miller

I like Colin Miller, but not as much as I like Carlo and McAvoy.  I think if the Bruins could snag Brodin, that'd be a plus for the blue line.

17 hours ago, UNDMOORHEAD said:

Don't teams have some kind of insurance for situations like this?

Is the issue maybe that the contract still counts against the cap and it hamstrings the GM when building a roster?  It can't be financial if the contract is insured against injury.  It has to be issues with managing the cap. 

9 minutes ago, Yote 53 said:

Is the issue maybe that the contract still counts against the cap and it hamstrings the GM when building a roster?  It can't be financial if the contract is insured against injury.  It has to be issues with managing the cap. 

Yeah, I think that's a fairly accurate statement.  As the contract is insured, I'm assuming it would be paid by insurance and not by the NHL team?  But yes, it would still count against the cap for that team.

2 hours ago, Ray77 said:

Yeah, I think that's a fairly accurate statement.  As the contract is insured, I'm assuming it would be paid by insurance and not by the NHL team?  But yes, it would still count against the cap for that team.

The Blue Jackets SB Nation page made it sound like the contract doesn't count against the cap.

Coyotes SB Nation page said that Craig Cunningham and David Bolland can't be drafted in the expansion draft, because of career ending injuries.