SiouxSports.com Forum

2017 NHL Expansion Draft

cberkas

Since the trade deadline is over, might as well speculate what players will be exposed for the expansion draft.

Fleury was shopped during the trade deadline. I saw that someone said his NMC doesn't keep him protected by Pittsburgh. Pittsburg is going to protect Murray, you know that AHL caliber goalie.

Kings getting Bishop makes me think Quick is gone. 

Stafford looks to be who the Bruins will expose.

From something I read van Riemsdyke was who Vegas would pick. Chicago getting Oduya might help Vegas not pick van Riemsdyke.

2 hours ago, cberkas said:

Since the trade deadline is over, might as well speculate what players will be exposed for the expansion draft.

Fleury was shopped during the trade deadline. I saw that someone said his NMC doesn't keep him protected by Pittsburgh. Pittsburg is going to protect Murray, you know that AHL caliber goalie.

Kings getting Bishop makes me think Quick is gone. 

Stafford looks to be who the Bruins will expose.

From something I read van Riemsdyke was who Vegas would pick. Chicago getting Oduya might help Vegas not pick van Riemsdyke.

Rules for 2017 Expansion Draft

This is a great read.  If I'm understanding it correctly, Fleury now HAS to be protected by the Pens.  It reads "* All players who have currently effective and continuing "No Movement" clauses at the time of the Expansion Draft (and who to decline to waive such clauses) must be protected (and will be counted toward their club's applicable protection limits)."

As Fleury has a NMC, I believe that'll mean that the have to protect him.  If so, they messed up - unless they work some sort of deal between now and the draft.  I could also be interpreting this incorrectly, too.

Regarding Stafford - you're right, there's no way the Bruins protect him.  However, they can only protect either seven forwards, three defensemen and one goaltender OR eight skaters (forwards/defensemen) and one goaltender, so there will be several players from each team that are exposed (I think).  Add to that the fact that Stafford will be a UFA after this year, so he's not under contract for 2017-18, so he won't qualify for the Bruins player exposure requirements.

Man, this stuff is fascinating to me, and I think this is going to be really fun trying to predict what teams are going to do and then to see how Vegas puts together their team!  Great topic!

16 minutes ago, Ray77 said:

Rules for 2017 Expansion Draft

This is a great read.  If I'm understanding it correctly, Fleury now HAS to be protected by the Pens.  It reads "* All players who have currently effective and continuing "No Movement" clauses at the time of the Expansion Draft (and who to decline to waive such clauses) must be protected (and will be counted toward their club's applicable protection limits)."

As Fleury has a NMC, I believe that'll mean that the have to protect him.  If so, they messed up - unless they work some sort of deal between now and the draft.  I could also be interpreting this incorrectly, too.

Regarding Stafford - you're right, there's no way the Bruins protect him.  However, they can only protect either seven forwards, three defensemen and one goaltender OR eight skaters (forwards/defensemen) and one goaltender, so there will be several players from each team that are exposed (I think).  Add to that the fact that Stafford will be a UFA after this year, so he's not under contract for 2017-18, so he won't qualify for the Bruins player exposure requirements.

Man, this stuff is fascinating to me, and I think this is going to be really fun trying to predict what teams are going to do and then to see how Vegas puts together their team!  Great topic!

The Fleury thing is getting interesting, they have to protect Murray, otherwise they just threw away their future goalie. I kept hearing during the trade deadline Fleury is going to Vegas and they want him.

Vegas isn't going to do a trade unless it's a big time player. 

As of right now I'd take TVR and Bishop. If Pittsburgh leaves Murray unprotected I'd take him with Bishop. I have to wonder does Zuker want to go to Vegas?

Edit: Murray is the only goalie Pittsburgh has to expose.

15 minutes ago, cberkas said:

The Fleury thing is getting interesting, they have to protect Murray, otherwise they just threw away their future goalie. I kept hearing during the trade deadline Fleury is going to Vegas and they want him.

Vegas isn't going to do a trade unless it's a big time player. 

As of right now I'd take TVR and Bishop. If Pittsburgh leaves Murray unprotected I'd take him with Bishop. I have to wonder does Zuker want to go to Vegas?

Edit: Murray is the only goalie Pittsburgh has to expose.

Another top notch site:

CapFriendly

Out here you can click the "Draft your Vegas team" at the top of the page.  Here it will go through each NHL team and show the players who meet or are projected to meet the exposure requirements.  Check out Pittsburgh!

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nhl/columnist/allen/2017/03/09/vegas-golden-knights-expansion-draft-george-mcphee/98971856/

I don't agree on 2 of the goalie picks, Subban and Montoya. Subban is for the most part a bust, and there are teams with backups that are better then these two.

If you are Vages the guy you want on the Wild is Zucker. 

7 hours ago, cberkas said:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nhl/columnist/allen/2017/03/09/vegas-golden-knights-expansion-draft-george-mcphee/98971856/

I don't agree on 2 of the goalie picks, Subban and Montoya. Subban is for the most part a bust, and there are teams with backups that are better then these two.

If you are Vages the guy you want on the Wild is Zucker. 

Yeah, there's a lot of things being thrown around now and I'm not sure I'm buying much of it yet.  Heck, if the Bruins can get rid of Subban and that's their "loss" from this expansion draft, I'd be ecstatic!

10 minutes ago, Ray77 said:

Yeah, there's a lot of things being thrown around now and I'm not sure I'm buying much of it yet.  Heck, if the Bruins can get rid of Subban and that's their "loss" from this expansion draft, I'd be ecstatic!

Yeah, the Bruins would be laughing all the way to the bank if Vegas took Subban off their hands.

• 3 weeks later...
1 minute ago, cberkas said:

Can't wait to see how this shakes out.  I read this earlier and one thing I thought was "wishful thinking" on the part of Joe McDonald that the Knights take Malcolm Subban off of the Bruins hands.  Maybe he thinks that the Knights' owner and management reads all of these and he's trying to entice them into taking Subban!

I also see that nobody has them taking Murray from the Penguins, which leads me to believe that either (A) they think that the Penguins will deal Fleury before this draft and they'll protect Murray or (B) the Penguins will work some sort of deal for a draft pick or two for the Knights to stay away from their goalies.

5 minutes ago, Ray77 said:

Can't wait to see how this shakes out.  I read this earlier and one thing I thought was "wishful thinking" on the part of Joe McDonald that the Knights take Malcolm Subban off of the Bruins hands.  Maybe he thinks that the Knights' owner and management reads all of these and he's trying to entice them into taking Subban!

I also see that nobody has them taking Murray from the Penguins, which leads me to believe that either (A) they think that the Penguins will deal Fleury before this draft and they'll protect Murray or (B) the Penguins will work some sort of deal for a draft pick or two for the Knights to stay away from their goalies.

The Penguins have to expose Murray, since he's the only goalie they have that can be. If I was Vegas I'd take Murray if he's not protected, they need a franchise goalie. The Kings goalie situation is interesting do they keep Quick or Bishop. If I was Vegas' GM I'd take two NHL capable starters and a prospect for their goalies.

2 minutes ago, cberkas said:

The Penguins have to expose Murray, since he's the only goalie they have that can be. If I was Vegas I'd take Murray if he's not protected, they need a franchise goalie. The Kings goalie situation is interesting do they keep Quick or Bishop. If I was Vegas' GM I'd take two NHL capable starters and a prospect for their goalies.

Yes, I don't disagree with you at all here.  However, there HAS to be something in the works regarding Murray/Fleury.  Either they're going to deal Fleury and protect Murray, or they have some sort of deal worked out with Vegas to not take Murray.  I don't see any way that the Penguins expose Murray and let him get taken.

I believe I also read somewhere that GM's are trying to work with the NHL to not disclose the lists of who they protected and who they exposed to the public/fans.  That better not happen!

A lot can and will happen from now to the draft...this is going to be fun!

4 minutes ago, Ray77 said:

Yes, I don't disagree with you at all here.  However, there HAS to be something in the works regarding Murray/Fleury.  Either they're going to deal Fleury and protect Murray, or they have some sort of deal worked out with Vegas to not take Murray.  I don't see any way that the Penguins expose Murray and let him get taken.

I believe I also read somewhere that GM's are trying to work with the NHL to not disclose the lists of who they protected and who they exposed to the public/fans.  That better not happen!

A lot can and will happen from now to the draft...this is going to be fun!

Each teams exposed list is suppose to be show the day before if I remember right.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...