SiouxSports.com Forum

Branding Survey

WiSioux

1 hour ago, WiSioux said:

Has anyone else seen/taken this branding survey from UND? 

https://www.surveymonkey.com/survey-taken/?sm=Qb2W9ha15U_2BwteIwibe82JnR1GHmQ9zLVmumIMuyfBnbsUENqZ_2Fd5Sgi9lssGkRvn32B_2BWzD6Da7J2vhE610NQ_3D_3D

I found it odd they asked about the academic logo... Any rumors on if they're planning on changing the academic logo?

I did. I have not heard any rumors but I thought it was a bit odd to only ask about that logo.

There was also a question about the importance of "big time college sports" and I made sure to vote that as very important to me. 

• 2 months later...
16 minutes ago, WiSioux said:

http://www.grandforksherald.com/news/4266371-whats-unds-id-university-takes-branding-effort

Some results of the survey.... Apparently people don't know the actual school colors and hockey is our identity.

Sorry old news. "UND Today" had this story back on April18. Herald playing catch up again. ( :

http://blogs.und.edu/und-today/2017/04/getting-back-on-brand/

• Upvote 1

Wasn't control over "branding" the reason why the "North Dakota" and "Fighting Sioux" language was scrapped?  Wasn't "branding" to be solved by the new U.S. Post Office logo and insipid nickname?  Seems to me that UND would have helped its "branding" by just staying "North Dakota".  Weren't we all worried that, without a nickname, others would be defining who we were and "branding" us as they saw fit?  Doesn't the fact that no one even at the school knows "who we are" eviscerate all of arguments and contradict all of the odious, rudimentary paste that spewed from the mouths of the anti-North Dakota crowd previously? 

• Downvote 5

6 hours ago, Chewey said:

Wasn't control over "branding" the reason why the "North Dakota" and "Fighting Sioux" language was scrapped?  Wasn't "branding" to be solved by the new U.S. Post Office logo and insipid nickname?  Seems to me that UND would have helped its "branding" by just staying "North Dakota".  Weren't we all worried that, without a nickname, others would be defining who we were and "branding" us as they saw fit?  Doesn't the fact that no one even at the school knows "who we are" eviscerate all of arguments and contradict all of the odious, rudimentary paste that spewed from the mouths of the anti-North Dakota crowd previously? 

Did you read the article?  

• Upvote 1

When the announcement was first made that UND was doing away with the interlocking ND I emailed Peter Johnson at the U and asked why they were retiring it. He said they weren't, they were just moving it to the Dakotah Legacy Collection, which is exactly where the Sioux logo is. 

The ND won't be on a field or court or on uniforms anymore (at least not after playing surfaces are updated) but I'd imagine it will be available to the public like the Sioux logo is now, in a limited variety with the Dakotah Legacy logo always attached to it. 

2 minutes ago, MadScout03 said:

When the announcement was first made that UND was doing away with the interlocking ND I emailed Peter Johnson at the U and asked why they were retiring it. He said they weren't, they were just moving it to the Dakotah Legacy Collection, which is exactly where the Sioux logo is. 

The ND won't be on a field or court or on uniforms anymore (at least not after playing surfaces are updated) but I'd imagine it will be available to the public like the Sioux logo is now, in a limited variety with the Dakotah Legacy logo always attached to it. 

So in other words.....Retired.  They are protecting the brand just like the Sioux logo.  You won't be ssing the interlocking ND logo anywhere except on a few t shirts every couple years in very limited fashion, just like the Sioux logo.

1 hour ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

So in other words.....Retired.  They are protecting the brand just like the Sioux logo.  You won't be ssing the interlocking ND logo anywhere except on a few t shirts every couple years in very limited fashion, just like the Sioux logo.

12 minutes ago, southpaw said:

I'm curious, five years ago how many people would have been looking to buy a UND shirt with just the interlocking ND logo?  My how things change...

I totally get what they are doing with the rebranding, and I think it makes sense. I just think not retaining anything of historical significance is a little excessive. There was certainly nothing wrong with the ND logo. I know there was some concern over the branding of if, compared to Notre Dame. And to Southpaw's point, a handful of years ago, people wouldn't want a shirt with the ND. I still wouldn't want a shirt with just the ND, but I think it is a nice complimentary logo, to go with the Hawk. Definitely looked sharp on the football helments (and actually the hawk does too), but if they have alternative helmets it would be cool to use an alternative logo. Not often, be here and there, just to mix things up.

9 minutes ago, siouxfan512 said:

There was certainly nothing wrong with the ND logo. I know there was some concern over the branding of if, compared to Notre Dame.

The second sentence is why your first sentence is incorrect.

2 hours ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

Exactly.  That was his way of saying retired without saying retired.  

1 hour ago, southpaw said:

The second sentence is why your first sentence is incorrect.

But was there a need to eliminate to completely? It doesn't need to be the primary logo. I think they have done a good job of implementing the new one (minus the lack of decent apparel), but like I said, why not find a way to incorporate it in as an accent? ND on alternative helmets would be cool. Again, not saying it has to be a primary logo, but still don't see a reason to completely eliminate it

Doesn't matter, since it is gone. Just though it would look really cool on the gray helmets that are rumored to show up. It would look classic and throwback. Just because we are not the Sioux anymore, doesn't mean we can retain a little history from that time frame, especially something that nobody could find offensive in any way, shape or form.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, siouxfan512 said:

But was there a need to eliminate to completely? It doesn't need to be the primary logo. I think they have done a good job of implementing the new one (minus the lack of decent apparel), but like I said, why not find a way to incorporate it in as an accent? ND on alternative helmets would be cool. Again, not saying it has to be a primary logo, but still don't see a reason to completely eliminate it

Doesn't matter, since it is gone. Just though it would look really cool on the gray helmets that are rumored to show up. It would look classic and throwback. Just because we are not the Sioux anymore, doesn't mean we can retain a little history from that time frame, especially something that nobody could find offensive in any way, shape or form.

They want people to buy into the new logo and brand identity and to ensure that happened, they eliminated all other options. If they didn't "retire" it, the usage would continue and and not only cause confusion with Notre Dame but also the new brand they are focusing on building. The new logo/brand identity now has a clean slate for the time being. While I'm not positive, I believe this line of thinking was confirmed with the branding study/survey results. I also assume there will eventually be a secondary mark that compliments the new primary one as there was supposed to be originally but it was scrapped.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

They want people to buy into the new logo and brand identity and to ensure that happened, they eliminated all other options. If they didn't "retire" it, the usage would continue and and not only cause confusion with Notre Dame but also the new brand they are focusing on building. The new logo/brand identity now has a clean slate for the time being. While I'm not positive, I believe this line of thinking was confirmed with the branding study/survey results. I also assume there will eventually be a secondary mark that compliments the new primary one as there was supposed to be originally but it was scrapped.

So in other words, take away all the floatation device, the logo and branding will either sink or swim.

• Upvote 1