SiouxSports.com Forum

UND (13-3, 18-8) vs Sac State (8-8, 11-16) 3/2 7 PM

SWSiouxMN

Just now, UND-FB-FAN said:

That's worrisome, if true; the pressure of the BSC tournament could be tough on this team, then. 

I hope the team wasn't looking ahead and forgot they still have 2 regular season games left.

• Upvote 1

EWU beat SUU so here is the scenario for Saturday.

UND wins and EWU wins ,UND #1 seed and conference title share with EWU

UND wins and EWU loses, UND #1 seed and conference champs outright.

UND loses and EWU loses, UND #1 seed and conference title share with EWU

EWU wins and UND loses EWU #1 seed and conference champs outright, UND #2 seed

UND vs PSU

EWU at NAU

2 hours ago, hoops44 said:

coaches do not bench a player for attending to family emergency

Agree.  What I heard from a fairly reliable source at the game was he attended a family emergency situation and then returned but did not arrive back to GF until near game time so guess is coaches felt resting him more important.

• Upvote 1

One positive for the game is the fact we still had a chance to win at the end despite shooting so badly. 

Hate to even bring it up, but anyone else feel like we got out gameplanned/out coached some? We really let them set the pace for most of the game and just took us out of our rhythm, can't let that happen at home. 

Here's to hopefully "Seales"-ing the deal Saturday and next week 

10 hours ago, GDPritch said:

Agree.  What I heard from a fairly reliable source at the game was he attended a family emergency situation and then returned but did not arrive back to GF until near game time so guess is coaches felt resting him more important.

Not arguing with what you heard at all. That could very well be the case. If so, I guess I would seriously question what the hell Jones was thinking. IF that was the case, maybe you still have the guy dress, and at least be available to come into the game if needed. I didn't realize that Seales was out of the lineup until well into the first half, and I kept wondering why I hadn't seen him yet. Could have really provided a spark into the offense last night.

Altogether, it was just a disappointing game, and a tough one to watch, especially with how this team has played all year. Props to Sac St, they came in with a plan and maintained it the whole game. Obviously not a great offensive team either, but they completely shut us down.

Oh well, on to Saturday! This is still a great team, with "hopefully" a lot of basketball left to play.

21 minutes ago, SkoHawks said:

One positive for the game is the fact we still had a chance to win at the end despite shooting so badly.

Hate to even bring it up, but anyone else feel like we got out gameplanned/out coached some? We really let them set the pace for most of the game and just took us out of our rhythm, can't let that happen at home.

Here's to hopefully "Seales"-ing the deal Saturday and next week

I agree that they got out coached/out game planned. Numerous times Sac state brought the ball down the court and just dribbled the ball on top until the shot clock was around 10-14 secounds. Seemed like they controlled the pace of the game and was enough to throw UND off there game. The free throws and three point percentages were bad bud also seemed like that big #44 was a beast on the boards and in the middle on defense. Geno and Q didnt want to go to the basket with the guy down there.

11 minutes ago, GoHawks said:

I agree that they got out coached/out game planned. Numerous times Sac state brought the ball down the court and just dribbled the ball on top until the shot clock was around 10-14 secounds. Seemed like they controlled the pace of the game and was enough to throw UND off there game. The free throws and three point percentages were bad bud also seemed like that big #44 was a beast on the boards and in the middle on defense. Geno and Q didnt want to go to the basket with the guy down there.

I am no huge Jones defender but this was a game of players play and coaches coach. Sac. State played deliberate and tried to take care of the ball and yet we still turned them over 17 times. Bottom line is we didn't knock down free throws and went 4-21 from 3 point range(18 of these were uncontested wide open looks). Seales would have been huge to have in this game as he is our best player at finding soft spot in the lane against the zone and hitting that midrange jumper.

• Upvote 4

6 minutes ago, petey23 said:

I am no huge Jones defender but this was a game of players play and coaches coach. Sac. State played deliberate and tried to take care of the ball and yet we still turned them over 17 times. Bottom line is we didn't knock down free throws and went 4-21 from 3 point range(18 of these were uncontested wide open looks). Seales would have been huge to have in this game as he is our best player at finding soft spot in the lane against the zone and hitting that midrange jumper.

Agreed.  If we were able to have anyone hitting yesterday we maybe are able to establish a lead around double figures and force Sac. St. to speed up their offense a bit.  Like you mentioned had some very good uncontested looks that just didn't drop and couldn't get to the line/make the attempts we got from there. 

The announcers stated at the beginning of the game Seales wasn't playing due to a family emergency. He was out of town and missed most of practice this week and got back right before the game started so the coaches held him out. Barring an unforeseen change, he'll be in uniform on Saturday.

As for the game, Sac controlled the tempo a bit but UND not being able to hit anything allowed them to do that. If UND hits some free throws and a couple open 3 pointers they normally do, the game starts tilting into UND's favor and the tempo speeds up. Game plan wasn't the issue last night, hitting shots was. It is unfortunate Seales wasn't able to play because with the Hi-Lo UND ran quite a bit last night, he would have had more than a few open looks in his spot, right around the free throw line. Overall, it was an off night for UND, playing without their first guy off the bench, and they still had a good chance to win. Regroup and win the #1 seed Saturday.

• Upvote 1