Jump to content
SiouxSports.com Forum

NORTH DAKOTA vs. UNO


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Get out the brooms or get out the golf clubs.

I'm betting on Cam getting a full ice open netter before wilkie cashes in. 

No way is Peski out of the lineup.  

Posted Images

13 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

It is an inconvenient truth.

We all knew a year like this was going to happen at some point.

True. Recruiting gaps, early departures, etc.  I just think this team has under performed tremendously to this point.  There is still a ton of talent on this team.

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, scpa0305 said:

We need to stop using that excuse....we're 30 games in.  Remember, we currently sit behind SCSU in the standings.  Did they lose anyone?

Yeah, but St. Cloud doesn't have a formula about how to comprise a team that wins them anything.   When you lose all the guys that you did, along with many that you didn't expect to lose, how do you keep that formula intact.  The coaches don't just recruit the best players every year like the gophers used to.  No matter what you say, you don't just pull Troy Stecher's and Paul LaDue's out of the woodwork and boom they are instant impact players.  Heck, people on here were saying how out of place Paul LaDue looked, and he was an older player coming in.  Losing 1 player early is one thing, losing 5 is quite another on top of your senior class.  

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, tnt said:

Yeah, but St. Cloud doesn't have a formula about how to comprise a team that wins them anything.   When you lose all the guys that you did, along with many that you didn't expect to lose, how do you keep that formula intact.  The coaches don't just recruit the best players every year like the gophers used to.  No matter what you say, you don't just pull Troy Stecher's and Paul LaDue's out of the woodwork and boom they are instant impact players.  Heck, people on here were saying how out of place Paul LaDue looked, and he was an older player coming in.  Losing 1 player early is one thing, losing 5 is quite another on top of your senior class.  

I am purely looking at what SCSU lost after last year (from an impact standpoint) to what we lost.  I would argue that the players they lost (as it impacts their current team) should have had a greater impact as compared to what we lost.  Simply due to the players that remained (and came in I guess).

Also, SCSU has been good the past two years....I'm pretty sure they have "won" something.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, yzerman19 said:

I never notice him out there- probably a good thing for a D. Did he play Saturday? Who sits for him? Johnson?  Wolanin is too dangerous offensively on pp to sit

He played both games. Johnson was in for Shaw on Saturday....i'm guessing Shaw was injured. Right now Johnson IMO is the odd man out.

Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, scpa0305 said:

True. Recruiting gaps, early departures, etc.  I just think this team has under performed tremendously to this point.  There is still a ton of talent on this team.

Pretty much agree on the underperforming part. 

Outside of Gersich, guys we all expected would take that next step (and we all know who they are) have not done so. If they had, we wouldn't be talking about these things. 

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, iluvdebbies said:

He played both games. Johnson was in for Shaw on Saturday....i'm guessing Shaw was injured. Right now Johnson IMO is the odd man out.

TH said Shaw "probably out for awhile" on pregame Saturday.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, yzerman19 said:

They are playing tight right now- thinking too much instead of playing.  A little luck and confidence and this team can pull out.  

Everyone thinks about the tv timeouts helping the forwards.  For us this year it will be a boon to the D.  We could get Pooly out there for almost 30 minutes with the right breaks.

if Yon is good to go, I put him on the line with Gardner and Pogo.

the bottom 6 I make a threat line and a true checking line for situations-

Jost with Boeser and Gersich

Gardner with Pogo and Yon

Bowen Hoff and JJ 

Olson Smith and Gornall

Wilkie and Simo draw pine

Tucker and Gage

Shaw and Colton

Wolanin and Johnson

Wolanin still gets pp time.

 

 

 

I think you mean a bumping line because our boys can't check until we know what the other teams gonna get called for seems like. And remember if they hit the other team "to hard" against the boards the other teams are falling to the ice and grabbing their head like they just got shot. Now how do you get away from that if the refs are going to let the players get away with that shyt?

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, scpa0305 said:

I am purely looking at what SCSU lost after last year (from an impact standpoint) to what we lost.  I would argue that the players they lost (as it impacts their current team) should have had a greater impact as compared to what we lost.  Simply due to the players that remained (and came in I guess).

Also, SCSU has been good the past two years....I'm pretty sure they have "won" something.

A 1st round upset to Ferris State as a 1 seed?

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, scpa0305 said:

I am purely looking at what SCSU lost after last year (from an impact standpoint) to what we lost.  I would argue that the players they lost (as it impacts their current team) should have had a greater impact as compared to what we lost.  Simply due to the players that remained (and came in I guess).

Also, SCSU has been good the past two years....I'm pretty sure they have "won" something.

You're right, St. Cloud lost a good chunk of their scoring from last year, but basically had a great defense in place coming into this year so it was basically a wash.  I figured if we were going to make up the lost scoring, a few guys would have to jump up, and Boeser and Jost would have to be great on the powerplay together.  Not too much time being able to see that with injuries and such.  One more guy like Luke Johnson or Keaton Thompson helps out our depth on those units so when injuries showed up, we wouldn't have suffered quite as much.  Perhaps the coaching staff will have to assume they can get character guys like Gornall, Gaarder, Pattyn, Sanderson at the last minute if needed and keep better stocked with the higher end guys, because I don't know how you anticipate losing that much, even with winning it all. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, tnt said:

You're right, St. Cloud lost a good chunk of their scoring from last year, but basically had a great defense in place coming into this year so it was basically a wash.  I figured if we were going to make up the lost scoring, a few guys would have to jump up, and Boeser and Jost would have to be great on the powerplay together.  Not too much time being able to see that with injuries and such.  One more guy like Luke Johnson or Keaton Thompson helps out our depth on those units so when injuries showed up, we wouldn't have suffered quite as much.  Perhaps the coaching staff will have to assume they can get character guys like Gornall, Gaarder, Pattyn, Sanderson at the last minute if needed and keep better stocked with the higher end guys, because I don't know how you anticipate losing that much, even with winning it all. 

Berry always has a great idea of who is leaving.  I'm guessing the Schmaltz departure threw him for a bit of a loop as he was pretty much coming back....until the CHI trade happened.

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, scpa0305 said:

Has that ever happened to us?

They've won the NCHC a couple of time now.

Can't remember a time recently where we've been a 1 seed and got upset by a 4 seed in the 1st round...someone correct me if I'm wrong. It's tough to do that when you go to Frozen Fours regularly I suppose :D

They've won the NCHC league title once and a Frozen Faceoff I believe.

Sure SCSU has "won something", but it's usually followed by an implosion in the NCAAs.

Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

Can't remember a time recently where we've been a 1 seed and got upset by a 4 seed in the 1st round...someone correct me if I'm wrong. It's tough to do that when you go to Frozen Fours regularly I suppose :D

They've won the NCHC league title once and a Frozen Faceoff I believe.

Sure SCSU has "won something", but it's usually followed by an implosion in the NCAAs.

UND yale

 

  • Downvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Minny was the 1 seed in that regional. We were the 2. We beat Niagara in the first round and Yale beat Minny. Yale beat us in the Regional Final. 

That's right.  I came away so distrought from that one that I thought it was first round.

Either way, the point is that 1 seeds have lost to 4th seeds quite a bit.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

We have been in this position a lot in the last 14 years.   Normally the turnaround has started at the  beginning of the new year, but I can remember a bunch of time were the NCAA's were still in Question this time of the year.  I expect this year will not be any different.  We will do what needs to be done to get in.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Emerald joker said:

They can't keep using those excuses, they beat BC without Brock and Jost, so they have the talent, they're just not hitting it for some  unexplained reason 

I believe you meant Union. Jost had 2G against BC at the garden. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, I Ranger said:

Jost played and scored twice against BC. Maybe you are thinking of Union which we beat without both.

My mistake. My point still stands though. This team can be better then what it has shown lately. I didn't think they'd have enough to win another title this year, but i was expecting them to make the big tourney. (which they still can)

Link to post
Share on other sites

Odds next 4 games IMO. 

Win at least 2.....85%

Win 3.....45%

Win 4.....20%

Disclaimer.........Probability odds not determined by Dahl's mathematics but Schloss's coin that I had Goon steal from him in the pressbox at the last home series.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...