SiouxSports.com Forum

UND (11-3, 16-8) @ Weber (11-2, 16-8) 2/18 8 PM

SWSiouxMN

Win the Big Sky regular season title but lose in the tournamet, extend one year; win the conference tournament extend it to include the first season of the Summit League (extra 2 seasons). Jones has really done a fantastic job this season after a very cold start. I probably more than anyone has wanted him gone, but he has this team doing a total 180 and playing great basketball, team basketball. Keep up the great work Coach Jones and the Fighting Hawks!

Pretty Stupid to extend one year...Terrible for recruiting....the 3 kids coming in had Zero Competing D1 offers....By not extending or canning Jones last year UND recruiting was really hurt....Brown and Collins had zero other D1 offers....and they are not doing much at all... Talent wins 

9 minutes ago, hoops44 said:

Pretty Stupid to extend one year...Terrible for recruiting....the 3 kids coming in had Zero Competing D1 offers....By not extending or canning Jones last year UND recruiting was really hurt....Brown and Collins had zero other D1 offers....and they are not doing much at all... Talent wins 

Moody's lack of offers was not for on the court play.  He is a risk/reward talent.  He has grown up a lot this senior season. 

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, hoops44 said:

Dead on with this, Faison would be idiotic to offer him only a 1 year extension after this. That's what he SHOULD have done last summer  but failed to do.

Don't put a coach 2 years in a row without a contract.  If he truly does that, Faison should be out of a job... period. 

The AD might have another problem is Jones leaves to go elsewhere next year (not saying he won't but you got to think someone might sniff around after this year)... and gets ZERO compensation for it.

Said it in the Jones thread a few times, its a multi-year extension or nothing

32 minutes ago, hoops44 said:

After years of average to below average ball, Jones is having the greatest season of his career. We saw what an extension did to Mussman and that program, a total disaster. A one year extension is playing on the side of caution unless they get to the dance then I think a 2 year extension which would include UND's first season in the SL, then take it from there. Jones doesn't have good history on his side when it comes to tournaments so winning the Big Sky Tournament is a huge step in his career. Jones winning the BSC regular season title is a great step along with winning 20 games. Minimum 2 year extension for that?

47 minutes ago, hoops44 said:

Just curious how many D1 offers Geno had? I don't recall any at least being reported. Collins is a solid defender and an athletic freak. Will never be a gamebreaker but a solid contributor. I really like what I've seen from Brown in small flashes. Give him time, he could have really used a redshirt year though. As far as the incoming recruits, they are all having good years. Why don't we give them an opportunity to prove themselves here?

Brad Davidson, who was an Australian PRO coach, or another assistant must have had an enormous influence on Jones' coaching style this season.  The Australian pro league dont have the potential that the NCAA has for a career.  It is almost like after the Portland St blowout, Jones knew he was in trouble and acquiesced on coaching philosphy to someone else.  There has been few street balling episode since, but this is a much more disciplined and confident  team.  Whoever that was needs to be maintained and given a raise too.

9 hours ago, sioux24/7 said:

Just curious how many D1 offers Geno had? I don't recall any at least being reported. Collins is a solid defender and an athletic freak. Will never be a gamebreaker but a solid contributor. I really like what I've seen from Brown in small flashes. Give him time, he could have really used a redshirt year though. As far as the incoming recruits, they are all having good years. Why don't we give them an opportunity to prove themselves here?

Geno had no competing D1 offers...He did grow 3 inches after his junior year , did not start full time until a senior, played with Anim at Marquette, Travis at Stanford and Gopher recruit Jarvis Johnson ... He was a a great find by coach former UND Ahelegbe and credit Jones for signing off on him...classic under the radar kid young for his grade, late growth spurt, played with a bunch of high major kids in highschool .he probably would have picked up some D1 offers if he had waited and signed in the spring.. Collins is not terribly quick, awful shooting form, jumps high but not quick off his feet....Seales is not a leaper like Josh but Cortez is a much quicker jumper.  Buchanan from Illinois looks promising and probably would have picked up a D1 offer elsewhere.....Franken  from Iowa did not even get a Drake offer came off the bench for his AAU team had offers from Souix Falls and Dordt...Moody had Weber St and NDSU  look at him but both passed....I have no problem taking a flyer on an in state kid, but UND needs to pick up the pace on recruiting right now or they will be be a bottom feeder in the Summit...and you do not pick up recruiting by have a head coach with one year contract

On 2/19/2017 at 9:09 PM, SWSiouxMN said:

Dead on with this, Faison would be idiotic to offer him only a 1 year extension after this. That's what he SHOULD have done last summer  but failed to do.

Don't put a coach 2 years in a row without a contract.  If he truly does that, Faison should be out of a job... period. 

The AD might have another problem is Jones leaves to go elsewhere next year (not saying he won't but you got to think someone might sniff around after this year)... and gets ZERO compensation for it.

Said it in the Jones thread a few times, its a multi-year extension or nothing

When you put it that way (*multi*year or nothing), then he should be let go. Although Jones has his team playing excellent basketball right now, UND isn't out of the woods yet; still plenty of room for a collapse. If UND goes dancing, then UND should extend him without any hesitation. Choke in the BSC tourney, however, and UND should at least consider both options (with me preferring a change in leadership).

On 2/20/2017 at 6:59 AM, hoops44 said:

Geno had no competing D1 offers...He did grow 3 inches after his junior year , did not start full time until a senior, played with Anim at Marquette, Travis at Stanford and Gopher recruit Jarvis Johnson ... He was a a great find by coach former UND Ahelegbe and credit Jones for signing off on him...classic under the radar kid young for his grade, late growth spurt, played with a bunch of high major kids in highschool .he probably would have picked up some D1 offers if he had waited and signed in the spring.. Collins is not terribly quick, awful shooting form, jumps high but not quick off his feet....Seales is not a leaper like Josh but Cortez is a much quicker jumper.  Buchanan from Illinois looks promising and probably would have picked up a D1 offer elsewhere.....Franken  from Iowa did not even get a Drake offer came off the bench for his AAU team had offers from Souix Falls and Dordt...Moody had Weber St and NDSU  look at him but both passed....I have no problem taking a flyer on an in state kid, but UND needs to pick up the pace on recruiting right now or they will be be a bottom feeder in the Summit...and you do not pick up recruiting by have a head coach with one year contract

Although it is definitely a factor, contract length/status is not the only factor in recruiting. There are certainly other areas that need to be addressed (some of which are out of the staff's control). 

On ‎2‎/‎21‎/‎2017 at 7:23 AM, UND-FB-FAN said:

When you put it that way (*multi*year or nothing), then he should be let go. Although Jones has his team playing excellent basketball right now, UND isn't out of the woods yet; still plenty of room for a collapse. If UND goes dancing, then UND should extend him without any hesitation. Choke in the BSC tourney, however, and UND should at least consider both options (with me preferring a change in leadership).

I want to be as fair as possible and not stick a coach in a no win situation. Any smart AD would do that (which is why I wasn't too happy that Faison didn't give Jones a 1 year extension last summer).  It makes no sense to extend him a year and go through the same thing again next year. 

You are also forgetting option 3: If Jones takes another job

If they go dancing I predict a 3 year extension. 

3 hours ago, siouxfan512 said:

Anyone else really bummed there is no UND Basketball tonight? Can't wait for Saturday!

I am going to catch my old high school (Devils Lake) play in the state hockey tournament tonight. I am looking forward to Saturday though as I hope the boys keep rolling!

1 hour ago, Shawn-O said:

Obviously you have no idea about the salary market for women's hockey coaches, you knuckle-dragging Neanderthal.  

Copyright @NoiseInsideMyHead

Huh?  How did I get roped into this conversation?  I'll own it if you can simply point to where I said it.

EDIT:  I now see and recall our discussion last summer about the merits of comparing coaching salaries across sports in gross, but is it not a tad unfair to pin the "knuckle-dragging Neantherthal" name-calling part of that comment on me?

Edited by NoiseInsideMyHead

1 hour ago, UNDBIZ said:

Will it be at a legitimate salary level though?  Or at least something rivaling the salary of the women's hockey coach?

Since Shawn-O was kind enough to drag me into this, and rekindle that whole affair, I have to ask, what on earth does a hockey coach salary have to do with a BB coach salary?  You'd be far better off using peer institution BB data to support the claim that a BB coach is underpaid.  Or at least peer institution WH data to prove that a WH coach is overpaid.

I stand by my earlier statements on the subject that sport-specific market forces drive the numbers, and that sport-to-sport comparisons are useless.