SiouxSports.com Forum

Cutting Sports: Round 2

SWSiouxMN

17 minutes ago, UNDvince97-01 said:

There was more backlash from baseball than there would ever be for womens hockey. Guaranteed.

Way more people cared about baseball being cut. There was a history and a ton of alums who care. 

This ^^^

I believe there will be initial "backlash" from any sport cut.  Than people go about their business and realize it doesn't change their weekends because they weren't attending games anyways.  

15 hours ago, UNDColorado said:

Somebody called this previously but I believe Kennedy used the committee as a pawn knowing they wouldn't make cuts. He took the pressure off of himself then so he has free reign now. People will call him a tyrant after he has the testicular fortitude to make cuts but it will fall on deaf ears because he gave the academics a chance to make something happen and they did nothing. Now we wait and see how he handles this.

I think you're giving him too much credit.  If that was his master plan, he wouldn't (shouldn't) have been so emphatic that he wasn't ever going to re-visit this issue during his tenure.  He would (should) have given himself some wiggle room.  Now he just looks like a fool.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

2 hours ago, UND-1 said:

As much as I would hate to take away 10-12 scholarship opportunities for Canadian/European players, who will more than likely leave once done, I would say WH.  

I guess there is a bias against women's hockey on this site and its not just because of money.

• Downvote 3

5 minutes ago, Cratter said:

I guess there is a bias against women's hockey on this site and its not just because of money.

Uff seriously?  Yeah that's what he meant.  He doesn't like Canadians and Europeans. Or womens sports.  Jeez.

What an off-base, out of context comment.  Cmon Cratter.

7 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

Wow.  So I guess not wanting UND to continue to lose 1.5M dollars a year on one sport is somehow sexist!!

It's sports in college. They pretty much all lose money. If cutting a couple other women's sports could save women's hockey. No one here wants to hear that.

Not sure where you got the sexist part.

7 minutes ago, UNDvince97-01 said:

Uff seriously?  Yeah that's what he meant.  He doesn't like Canadians and Europeans. Or womens sports.  Jeez.

What an off-base, out of context comment.  Cmon Cratter.

Huh? It's the exact definition of a bias. Not out of context in the least.

• Downvote 1

8 minutes ago, Cratter said:

Pointing out trends doesn't have to be connected to personal feelings about an issue. Hard for some people to see that.

There is zero trend of sexism or bias regarding WH here.  Just results and numbers.  Those are the trends.  Hard for some people to objectively see that.

2 hours ago, UNDvince97-01 said:

There was more backlash from baseball than there would ever be for womens hockey. Guaranteed.

Way more people cared about baseball being cut. There was a history and a ton of alums who care. 

I'll disagree big time here. If you put all the cards on the table, it's so clear that WH should be the first sport cut, no question. I think you're nuts if you don't think there wouldn't be major backlash. The society we live in would have an absolute field day with it. Logic would be thrown out the window, it would be how sexist, ect, ect, the University is. That's just the world we live in.

I think now that we know our long term conference affiliations, UND has a new tool in the analysis. The first go-around we didn't even now if we would be changing conferences.  For example, before Swimming and Diving was an obvious target but now it could become a whole lot cheaper to be a competitor in the Summit than in the WAC, our current home.  With no hockey in the Summit, Women's Hockey has to be even a stronger candidate to be eliminated, why it wasn't on the short list last time is a mystery.

2 hours ago, gfhockey said:

Maybe they could just cut budget? Obviously the euro playas can't get it dine

stick to more local playas

cut salaries as the performance isn't there

Yes. If you can't cut it, I'm all for this. No more foreign players, just stick to ND / Minnesota.

7 minutes ago, AJS said:

I'll disagree big time here. If you put all the cards on the table, it's so clear that WH should be the first sport cut, no question. I think you're nuts if you don't think there wouldn't be major backlash. The society we live in would have an absolute field day with it. Logic would be thrown out the window, it would be how sexist, ect, ect, the University is. That's just the world we live in.

It's pretty hard to argue with the facts.  Where the university would get in trouble is if/when the waffle again and try to give a sport life again.  

Make a decision, cut it and be done.  Lay the costs out at the start.  

1 minute ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

If I were a betting man, I would guess that WHKY is going to be saved due to the fear of the negative message that sends.  Sports I think will be cut will be mens and womens tennis and mens and womens golf.  Bringing UND to 16 sports.

But don't save a lot of money by being cut. 

12 minutes ago, AJS said:

That's fine.  We just disagree.  Would have to just wait and see on that I guess.

I believe there would be a 3-5 days of potential "backlash" in the media and would then fade away.  But from people that matter in the big scheme of things?  That I'm not so sure about. 

From a negative impact on monetary donations standpoint on annual giving or major gifts?  Zero to little impact in my opinion.  There is no big donor to that program.  

I don't believe Ralph was ever staunch on having Womens Hockey either.  Another assumption as far as I know and can see it. 

Sue Jeno and.....?

1 hour ago, Cratter said:

The president and AD could probably answer your question better. They are the ones keeping WH.

It's above them, or Pres. Kennedy would of had WH on the short list a couple months ago.  

An accountant looking at the numbers would say cut WH.

A fund raiser from the alumni office would say keep WH.

A new Pres. after being briefed on The Raplh Engelstad Arena and the non-profit corporation running it, said "We're Keeping WH"

• Downvote 2