SiouxSports.com Forum

2018 UND Recruiting

AJS

16 hours ago, siouxfan512 said:

Well this is going well so far ???

Get off the ledge please. Bubba is doing a fabulous job rebuilding this program. He is entering his 4th year at the helm. I don't think Roger Thomas was beating NDSU head-to-head in recruiting four years in either. I trust this coaching staff based on what I have seen so far.

6 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

He's talented so that's reason enough if there's even slight mutual interest. 

Not knocking Thomas or the offer at all, was just curious how he and UND even got in touch with each other, as there are thousands of talented athletes in the South who we don't bother trying to recruit.  Thought perhaps he might have a family connection to ND, desire to be a pilot, lived in ND for a short stint, etc....

I see now Jon said the connection was made at a Wake Forest camp.  Thomas has great measurables for a CB.  Would be great to get him to come up here.

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

Get off the ledge please. Bubba is doing a fabulous job rebuilding this program. He is entering his 4th year at the helm. I don't think Roger Thomas was beating NDSU head-to-head in recruiting four years in either. I trust this coaching staff based on what I have seen so far.

Jeez, not on the ledge. But it is disappointing to miss on several of these guys. I'm not saying it has anything to do with UND or Bubba. I have always been complimentary of what Bubba has done. Just tough to recruit regionally against a program like the Bison. They have built something people want to be a part of. I'm not saying we won't get there, but it would have been nice to see of few of their recent commits in Grand Forks.

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, siouxfan512 said:

Jeez, not on the ledge. But it is disappointing to miss on several of these guys. I'm not saying it has anything to do with UND or Bubba. I have always been complimentary of what Bubba has done. Just tough to recruit regionally against a program like the Bison. They have built something people want to be a part of. I'm not saying we won't get there, but it would have been nice to see of few of their recent commits in Grand Forks.

Yeah, it would have been nice. But Rome wasn't built in a day and UND football won't be built in one recruiting season. I am just enjoying the ride.

38 minutes ago, siouxfan512 said:

I believe the only two that had UND offers were Enz from Wisconsin and Ogbu from Bismarck.

On ‎4‎/‎27‎/‎2017 at 10:12 PM, AJS said:

New offer, his third:

QB , FS Jackson Enz, 6'1", 185, 4.6, Big Foot High School, Walworth, WI 

Other offers from Northern Iowa and Western Illinois 

I hadn't seen this until this AM - the Bison also got Enz (as a safety)!!

19 minutes ago, CMSioux said:

We will get our share of studs. Doesn't matter what month we get them in. 

A guy like Keaton Studsrud didn't commit until January of 2014. Already finished with his senior football season. There are certainly gems out there no matter what time of year it is, and this staff has shown it has what it takes to find them. It doesn't matter how many other offers a kid has. Just because a school like NDSU offered doesn't mean they will be world beaters.

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, GForks said:

A guy like Keaton Studsrud didn't commit until January of 2014. Already finished with his senior football season. There are certainly gems out there no matter what time of year it is, and this staff has shown it has what it takes to find them. It doesn't matter how many other offers a kid has. Just because a school like NDSU offered doesn't mean they will be world beaters.

I think your whole statement is spot on.

John Santiago is a prime example as he had no other D1 offers. 

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, jdub27 said:

I believe the only two that had UND offers were Enz from Wisconsin and Ogbu from Bismarck.

Solid point. I had probably bulked sproles in there because I was hoping we would offer him. Props to NDSU though, they have landed some top notch prospects so far.

Looks like we just grabbed a safety out of Wisconsin.

Kadon Kauppinen, a safety from Sun Prairie HS (Wis.), has committed to play football at UND. He's second commit of 2018 recruiting class.

41 minutes ago, siouxfan512 said:

Solid point. I had probably bulked sproles in there because I was hoping we would offer him. Props to NDSU though, they have landed some top notch prospects so far.

Looks like we just grabbed a safety out of Wisconsin.

Kadon Kauppinen, a safety from Sun Prairie HS (Wis.), has committed to play football at UND. He's second commit of 2018 recruiting class.

On 6/10/2017 at 5:36 PM, UNDBIZ said:

New offer 

Kadon Kauppinen - DB - 6'2" 180 lbs - Sun Prairie, WI

http://www.hudl.com/video/3/3860253/580eb2e2688ec323cc993393

Welcome Kadon!!

We also have an offer out to his HS teammate, Marty Strey - 6'3" 200 lbs - OLB

http://www.hudl.com/video/3/3865606/58164afc688ec421a05dc04c

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, siouxfan512 said:

I feel the same way 512. You didn't say anything wrong. Appears to be the reality right now. That said. Lots of talent out there.

The coaching staff has shown over the past couple years, that they have a very good eye for talent. Just look at their early offers this year that were quickly followed by offers from other schools. Great early start for the coaching staff!

On ‎4‎/‎14‎/‎2017 at 10:03 PM, UND Fan said:

Tons of positive posts from a bunch of prospects who attended today's Jr. Day.  Three known offers:

LB Seth Benson, 6'1", 190, Sioux Falls (Washington), SD

TE Cormack Sampson, 6'5", 225, Eau Claire (Memorial), WI

WR Blake Veargis, 5'9", 145, Miami (Norland), FL. Has 15+ offers

There will be a bunch of new prospects added to Wiki tomorrow.

Veargis has verballed to GA St.  I guess we had offered him but this has been a weird situation from the start.  He supposedly had 10+ offers including AZ, ASU, Cal, VA Tech, UNC, NC St, etc.  Why he would opt for GA St is beyond me!