SiouxSports.com Forum

2018 UND Recruiting

AJS

23 minutes ago, nodak651 said:

At this point in the year, when other teams start getting commits, I always start to feel like we won't get anyone that we want.  Feelsbadman :(

Too early to head to the lifeboats over one or two kids turning us down. Bubba will get some good athletes in here (already has). #keepyourchinup

7 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

Too early to head to the lifeboats over one or two kids turning us down. Bubba will get some good athletes in here (already has). #keepyourchinup

Just to clarify, UND didn't offer either of NDSU's two early commitments. Not saying they would have committed to UND if offered or that they aren't going to be great players, but they didn't offer.

2 hours ago, shep said:

It feels like we have more offers out this year than we did at the same time in years past. Am I wrong? What's the percent of offers that typically gets accepted? 35%?

At this time last year, we had made 27 known offers (with no commitments).  This year, 29.  To reinforce the point that we shouldn't get too concerned at this time, we only signed three of the first 27 offerees last year and I think we all agree that we ended up with a pretty good recruiting class..

Very important camp next week (22nd).  Hopefully, we will start to see some commitments shortly after it.

UND elite 1-day camps are crucial. I would expect committments after the first one, June 22nd. Not only does it allow the staff to evaluate prospective student-athletes in person (which is key), but it also implicitly shows who really wants to be at UND as the participants travel up to Grand Forks.

I absolutely couldn't agree more with the emphasis that the staff puts on these camps - they have been phenomenal for UND football recruiting since Bubba has been HC.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, fightingsioux4life said:

As Lou Holtz puts it - 

“If you don't make a total commitment to whatever you're doing then you start looking to bail out the first time the boat starts leaking. It's tough enough getting that boat to shore with everybody rowing, let alone when a guy stands up and starts putting his life jacket on.”

― Lou Holtz Jr.

• Upvote 3

On 6/1/2017 at 6:55 AM, UND Fan said:

Absolutely, I think that is still happening but I also think, due to our success and new reputation, we are going after kids that we didn't think we could get in the past.  In fact, coaches have told me that.   

I'm really excited to see what the coaching staff can do this year, with the success last year and the hype coming into the season (Pre-season Top 5, couple Pre-season All Americans), we are in uncharted territory as far as what the coaching staff can sell from a hype standpoint.  

Does anyone know who will actually be attending the camp this week? Also does anyone know when NDSU's camp is? Just curious if you will get some kids that will try to make 1 trip for both camps, if they are close enough together. 

Read something about Gabe Sulser possibly attending NDSU's camp, and was hoping he would be at UND's. Kid will probably be a long shot to land, and sounds like he will get a fair amount of FBS attention (especially considering his size), but I would love to see him at UND. Sounds like he has a bunch of Griz connections too.

NDSU has theirs the day after.  

I would imagine a fair number will do both.  If the camps are about giving kids opportunities than having two camps 70 mikes apart makes sense.  Travel once, have two opportunities.  

14 minutes ago, homer said:

NDSU has theirs the day after.  

I would imagine a fair number will do both.  If the camps are about giving kids opportunities than having two camps 70 mikes apart makes sense.  Travel once, have two opportunities.  

NDSU's camp is a 3 day one.  

25 minutes ago, Bison Dan said:

Need's to be that long to get everyone a look when you jam as many kids as you can into it. Kudos for them for getting that many kids on campus for an extended period of time I guess.

46 minutes ago, Bison Dan said:

Cool, but that wasn't my question. I was just wondering when NDSU's was, because I assume you will get some overlap between the two in terms of athletes visiting and checking out the schools.

1 hour ago, jdub27 said:

Need's to be that long to get everyone a look when you jam as many kids as you can into it. Kudos for them for getting that many kids on campus for an extended period of time I guess.

There was a little twitter battle a few weeks ago between an SDSU assistant and an NDSU assistant over the 3 day camp vs. 1 day.  

SDSU guy said it was wrong to make a kid commit to 3 days when everyone else does 1 day camps.  NDSU guy pointed to their national championships.

I don't think there is a right or wrong way to do it if you trust your staff and evaluation process.  

On the flip side having a kid on campus for three days isn't bad either.  

Dan has been whining for a week about UNDs being right before NDSUs and the kids who will take part in both.  All the while UND has been doing one day elite camps for years along with a number of other camps that offer a chance to evaluate.  

3 hours ago, Bison Dan said:

Most of NDSUs elite recruits like Trey Lance, Phoenix Sproles, and some others that aren't committed only camp there 1 day. The 3 day camp is for invites that mainly don't have offers. Also there are many surrounded colleges there that are able to see these kids that are bright it. So the 1 day argument with SDSU is kind of silly because quite a few kids that camp at NDSU are 1 day campers.

Also one of my kids is coming to UNDs camp this Thursday at 4:00. Hunter Sand is being recruited as an athlete by UND. Really good kid. All around athlete, has invite to both NDSU and UNDs prospect camp for basketball also. Plays AAU and is an all state baseball player. 

• Upvote 4