SiouxSports.com Forum

2018 UND Recruiting

AJS

6 minutes ago, UNDvince97-01 said:

You recruit better talent with better facilities.

Better talent equals more wins.

It's really simple.

Better facilities certainly helps, yes that is true.  But I think wins are more important.  Does NDSU have the best FCS football facilities in the country hands down?   Also I saw an article recently on the FB FCS Fans page showing FCS programs that have FBS like facilities.  Most of them were not top 10 teams, and NDSU and I don't believe JMU were on the list.  It's not as simple as.....who has the best facilities wins.  That said I still want ours to be near the top as it does help. 

7 minutes ago, Sioux94 said:

Better facilities certainly helps, yes that is true.  But I think wins are more important.  Does NDSU have the best FCS football facilities in the country hands down?   Also I saw an article recently on the FB FCS Fans page showing FCS programs that have FBS like facilities.  Most of them were not top 10 teams, and NDSU and I don't believe JMU were on the list.  It's not as simple as.....who has the best facilities wins.  That said I still want ours to be near the top as it does help. 

I agree, it doesn't matter how good your facilities are if you don't have the top caliber players to utilize them.   Any who thinks they will come if you build it is mistaken.    Bubba needs to sell the package, not the buildings.

5 minutes ago, UNDvince97-01 said:

The odds of landing top caliber players increases dramatically with better facilities.

I don't understand why that's so hard to comprehend.

SDSU is a good example of this. They made it to the FCS semifinals this year. And their facilities have improved light years since they moved up to FCS. They will be contenders and a potential stumbling block for NDSU in the coming years. Funding Phase II will make us more competitive as well. #getitdone

25 minutes ago, UNDvince97-01 said:

The odds of landing top caliber players increases dramatically with better facilities.

I don't think anybody disagrees with you, it does help.  It's just hard to say what is more important, more wins or better facilities.  I think more wins and success is more important that facilities, but better facilities help get better recruits which should result in more wins.  Mama Sue is right, it's the chicken/egg debate.  Phase II will be important for us to become and maintain being a top 10 team, but we all want a season like 2016 this year so we can get better recruits right now.  

1 hour ago, UNDvince97-01 said:

No one is against better facilities, but who is going to pay for it?   We just cut numerous sports  and had to switch conferences because of a lack of money.   Additionally, coaches salaries are far below other successful D1 schools.   Again, we are short of cash.

1 hour ago, fightingsioux4life said:

SDSU is a good example of this. They made it to the FCS semifinals this year. And their facilities have improved light years since they moved up to FCS. They will be contenders and a potential stumbling block for NDSU in the coming years. Funding Phase II will make us more competitive as well. #getitdone

The Jackrabbits made it to the playoffs almost every year since they moved up, and they even won a playoff game a lot of years until they ran into NDSU.   From what I've heard about the  old stadium it was less than great.   I'd say the Jacks got further this year because they were opposite NDSU in the bracket rather than having a shiny new outdoor stadium.

8 minutes ago, TRex said:

The Jackrabbits made it to the playoffs almost every year since they moved up, and they even won a playoff game a lot of years until they ran into NDSU.   From what I've heard about the  old stadium it was less than great.   I'd say the Jacks got further this year because they were opposite NDSU in the bracket rather than having a shiny new outdoor stadium.

And having a shiny new outdoor stadium had nothing to do with landing recruits? The point UNDvince97-01 is making is that having nice facilities can give you an edge in recruiting.

14 minutes ago, TRex said:

No one is against better facilities, but who is going to pay for it?   We just cut numerous sports  and had to switch conferences because of a lack of money.   Additionally, coaches salaries are far below other successful D1 schools.   Again, we are short of cash.

If we cannot afford what it takes to be a successful Division I school, then we shouldn't have moved up in the first place.

I don't understand why THAT'S so hard to comprehend.

18 minutes ago, TRex said:

Phase II, like Phase I, is to be privately funded and spearheaded by the UND Foundation (Mike Mannausau), with ancillary assistance in securing the funds from the UND AD leadership and the President of the University.

It has nothing to do with UND's budget cuts and issues.

Coaching salaries have nothing to do with private capital facility fundraising either.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

If we cannot afford what it takes to be a successful Division I school, then we shouldn't have moved up in the first place.

I don't understand why THAT'S so hard to comprehend.

Yeah playing Winona and Northern State is not going to fly because we are the University of North Dakota...Not Grand forks State College.

• Upvote 3

15 minutes ago, UNDvince97-01 said:

Phase II, like Phase I, is to be privately funded and spearheaded by the UND Foundation (Mike Mannausau), with ancillary assistance in securing the funds from the UND AD leadership and the President of the University.

It has nothing to do with UND's budget cuts and issues.

Coaching salaries have nothing to do with private capital facility fundraising either.

It doesn't help with an AD still in Washington, and a president interviewing in Florida.  That's not comforting to donors right now.

• Upvote 1

47 minutes ago, gundy1124 said:

It doesn't help with an AD still in Washington, and a president interviewing in Florida.  That's not comforting to donors right now.

If someone is upset with the President situation, then that's their right to have that opinion I guess.

The AD not being here yet should be a total non-issue. If donors can't respect and understand some transition time on that then I would say they are high maintenance.

If I were in the position to be a significant "donor" for Phase II specifically, I wouldn't let that be a deciding factor in it. But I guess that's just me and my loyalty speaking and it is subjective to each donor's feelings.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

The President is interviewing in Florida? Wow...

I trust Bubba to clean up the attitude issues and player accountability...D1 is D1.

When does the AD move here.... nothing changes until he has been here 30 days, at least, IMHO and I am not part of any GOBC.  Things may not change for 60 days....he needs to get the lay of the land first...

los of issues here boys, lots.

but GO SIOUX!!!

4 hours ago, fightingsioux4life said:

And having a shiny new outdoor stadium had nothing to do with landing recruits? The point UNDvince97-01 is making is that having nice facilities can give you an edge in recruiting.

Actually it probably didn't have anything to do with most of their studs this year.  The Stadium opened in 2016.  Weineke and Goedart were recruited long before soil was ever broken to build that stadium, and so were all of the other juniors and seniors on the team.  I doubt those guys as high school seniors decided to go to SDSU because fundraising for a new stadium had just begun and it may, or may not, be completed by the time they graduate.     I do agree, and I think we all agree better facilities to help you recruit, but I wouldn't attribute SDSU's success this year to that stadium.  

6 minutes ago, Mama Sue said:

The President is interviewing in Florida? Wow...

I

I second this!  I guess I hadn't heard that....man he just got to UND.....wth.   Really liked him too, would hate to see him go.  But kind of rubs me the wrong way that he is looking for something else already.