SiouxSports.com Forum

2018 UND Recruiting

AJS

3 hours ago, shep said:

Gordon to LB was the big takeaway from this.

It would have been interesting to see what he could have done as a more featured back.  Not saying that he should have been ahead of any of the other guys but just too bad on the timing with being at UND the same time as the other guys we have now.  Would seem strange to have him at LB, but if he can see the field more he may enjoy that.  

I think it will be interesting to see how that big/tall TE does, he is pretty athletic. Maybe he could become our version of Dallas Goedert?  That would require throwing to a TE more than 15 times a season though.  

17 hours ago, UND1983 said:

Podcast review of 2018 UND Recruiting Class from UNDFB360.

http://kfgo.com/podcasts/fighting-hawks-podcast/22809/2018-recruiting-class-review/

Overall,  a lot of good points.  Yes, being 3-8 leaves a lot of positions open!!  I have 2 critiques:

1) I would keep Gordon at RB.  We are an injury away from needing #4 if you place the RB order of 1)John  2)Brady 3)JJ 4)Gordon.  If we used our best players in space and created positive match-ups we'd have more touches for RBs.

2) Interesting view that the UNDFB360 guys would mention Garett Maag down the road as this flex receiver/TE creating a lot of stress on the defense.  This would probably be a true statement if Maag went to SDSU.

I agree with the 360 boys that inside backer, the bigger players themselves, will be a huge positive this year.  The secondary is a total wild card for this team.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, gundy1124 said:

Overall,  a lot of good points.  Yes, being 3-8 leaves a lot of positions open!!  I have 2 critiques:

1) I would keep Gordon at RB.  We are an injury away from needing #4 if you place the RB order of 1)John  2)Brady 3)JJ 4)Gordon.  If we used our best players in space and created positive match-ups we'd have more touches for RBs.

2) Interesting view that the UNDFB360 guys would mention Garett Maag down the road as this flex receiver/TE creating a lot of stress on the defense.  This would probably be a true statement if Maag went to SDSU.

I agree with the 360 boys that inside backer, the bigger players themselves, will be a huge positive this year.  The secondary is a total wild card for this team.

We need at least two of those juco dbs to be slam dunks. Our success as a team depends on the secondary, I’m assuming the LBs will be up to snuff.

1 minute ago, shep said:

They said Tamas Stewart will not be playing in spring game.

Also said that Larson is at 241. Is there any place to find the CURRENT weights for players. They noted Toivonen was 220. Where do they get that info?

Tamas needs to learn how to tackle or he won't last more than a series before injuring himself like last season. I'm sure they just asked Baukol.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Just now, geaux_sioux said:

Tamas needs to learn how to tackle or he won't last more than a series before injuring himself like last season. I'm sure they just asked Baukol.

My gut is telling me Tamas is injury prone so I am hoping those transfers turn out to be good additions.

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎2‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 9:59 AM, GoHawks said:

8D83B00B-9344-440B-8D5E-BC41DFB892CF.thumb.png.c046a3065bc9f0dc9638335ebca74ed6.png

While stats never tell the full story, it might be a little early to get too excited about this kid.  He played about half the time for Phoenix College with 9 TDS vs 5 INTs but completed less than 50% of his passes.

2 hours ago, UND Fan said:

While stats never tell the full story, it might be a little early to get too excited about this kid.  He played about half the time for Phoenix College with 9 TDS vs 5 INTs but completed less than 50% of his passes.

Provided he is willing to come to North Dakota,  I would be willing to take a flyer on this kid.

Grover was the quarterback of a national top 10 high school team before breaking his leg senior year.

Yes, he had a dismal freshman season. Was it freshman adjustment, or still recovering from the injury? Whatever it was, he recovered nicely after limited time the last month of the season by going 20-28 with 272 yards, 3 touchdowns and no interceptions versus Snow College (ranked #4 in the country) during the last game.

I'm not sure what to make of this, it's the subjective list of the top 250 FCS recruits from Hero Sports.   We have one, Bruner at #46 and that's it.   It appears that several of our neighbors have a whole lot more on there.    I've sorta been questioning Bubba's recruiting philosophy all year and would sure feel better if we had more players named.   Now I know someone's going to pop up and say well this will make our recruits play with a chip on their shoulder.   IMO, that chip should have been there in high school already.   At any rate, it's interesting reading even if it is subjective.

https://herosports.com/fcs/recruiting-national-top-250-fcs-recruits-2018-ajaj#1

On 2/25/2018 at 9:15 PM, gundy1124 said:

Here is what I make of It-

Tomorrow, I am going to not review the list and instead grab a cone from Dairy Queen.  It will be way more satisfying and I will still know the same (probably more) as those that looked at the list.

Yep, you will. Because Bubba knows more about evaluating talent than any sports writers, scouting services or any other college coaches in the country. Just look at his D1 track record. While you are right, these lists and services are not always right and kids are missed, but when you are relying on almost all other D1 coaches to miss on 90% of your recruits, you may not be recruiting and getting the best talent.

• Downvote 2

18 minutes ago, nd1sufan said:

Yep, you will. Because Bubba knows more about evaluating talent than any sports writers, scouting services or any other college coaches in the country. Just look at his D1 track record. While you are right, these lists and services are not always right and kids are missed, but when you are relying on almost all other D1 coaches to miss on 90% of your recruits, you may not be recruiting and getting the best talent.

Dave Richman is a hell of a coach, too, right?  Easy double-check.

• Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, nd1sufan said:

2 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

Yep, you will. Because Bubba knows more about evaluating talent than any sports writers (ABSOLUTELY), scouting services (ABSOLUTELY) or any other college coaches (PROBABLY NOT) in the country. 

Right, if all the coaches got together and wasted countless weeks on video, testing, interviewing kids, maybe a list of top 250 would mean a little, but nothing more than that.  It's amazing after a 9 win season 2 years ago we were the darling of all these lists and polls, and now after a 3 win season we are no where to be found unless a kid had a previous power 5 offer.  I doubt the last 2 years of recruits are all that different, yet the hype is because of what really matters, W's vrs L's.  We still need to improve depth and talent on our roster, no arguments there. 

• Upvote 4

2 minutes ago, gundy1124 said:

Right, if all the coaches got together and wasted countless weeks on video, testing, interviewing kids, maybe a list of top 250 would mean a little, but nothing more than that.  It's amazing after a 9 win season 2 years ago we were the darling of all these lists and polls, and now after a 3 win season we are no where to be found unless a kid had a previous power 5 offer.  I doubt the last 2 years of recruits are all that different, yet the hype is because of what really matters, W's vrs L's.  We still need to improve depth and talent on our roster, no arguments there. 

You forgot injuries. 

3 minutes ago, gundy1124 said:

UND needs to win more recruiting battles, no doubt.  Lost a bunch last summer.  So, they need to make the players they get better all while putting them in positions to succeed.  Their players are solid but need to be used correctly and developed.

• Upvote 1