SiouxSports.com Forum

2018 UND Recruiting

AJS

14 minutes ago, Hambone said:

UND has offered OL Ty McCaskill, 6’5” 310 pounder from Mishawaka, IN. Originally committed to Illinois State, and also has an offer from Murray State.

https://ww.hudl.com/profile/5558264/ty-mccaskill

He plays mean. Always gave an extra shot after pancaking his guy. Not sure about the quickness and bend but he’s  big and has a mean streak for sure.

so with this being the first year of the split signing days it might be tougher to answer, but should we expect any more commits for awhile? or not until a lot closer to the signing day?  Also, I like seeing offers, but does new offers at this point in the game mean we are giving up on others already offered who might be potentially better or are we just finding these guys and deeming them worth an offer?

2 hours ago, SkoHawks said:

so with this being the first year of the split signing days it might be tougher to answer, but should we expect any more commits for awhile? or not until a lot closer to the signing day?  Also, I like seeing offers, but does new offers at this point in the game mean we are giving up on others already offered who might be potentially better or are we just finding these guys and deeming them worth an offer?

I would think that we could hear of more commitments at any time. Regarding new offers as they relate to older offers. I am sure some of the older offers have been rescinded but I would guess we would still be happy as heck to land some of prospects offered prior to the early signing date. 

57 minutes ago, UND Fan said:

I would think that we could hear of more commitments at any time. Regarding new offers as they relate to older offers. I am sure some of the older offers have been rescinded but I would guess we would still be happy as heck to land some of prospects offered prior to the early signing date. 

I didn't mean to say we wouldn't be happy with these new prospects, but to put it in terms of my golf game would the older offers be considered a Birdie compared to the new offers as a Par?? I'm still happy with both, just happier with one over the other.

He's definitely got the size that UND needs at ILB, based on previous drop downs, what can we expect? Like JJ, he was buried on the depth chart, but did get some action his Freshman / Sophomore year.

This ILB group needs depth, which he will bring, but where is the expectation that he fits in? Starter playing besides Rodgers?, #3 guy, #4?

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, AJS said:

He's definitely got the size that UND needs at ILB, based on previous drop downs, what can we expect? Like JJ, he was buried on the depth chart, but did get some action his Freshman / Sophomore year.

This ILB group needs depth, which he will bring, but where is the expectation that he fits in? Starter playing besides Rodgers?, #3 guy, #4?

Got a start his freshman year against Iowa replacing a guy who was suspended for a half and filled in fine. Gophers LB group has been very good and he just got lost in the shuffle. Last couple years I don't think he saw any defensive snaps but played on most special teams units.

1 hour ago, UND Fan said:

I know there were a couple '19 OL on campus:

Kyle Downs, 6'3", 260, Monticello (Monticello), MN

Cody Smith, 6'4", 250, Eagan (Eagan), MN

Thanks. After your post I did see that already committed Garrett Maag made an official visit. (Via Undfootball360) He also made a mention to recently offered Marcus Vaughn Jones being there. I'd be happy with this get at this point. Got excellent size and watching his Hudl I feel like he has good ball skills. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

Not only was he a stud for Wisconsin.... he's now a pro bowler... hidden gems are important.

Here is the obituary from UND Football standpoint:  1 day from departure to GF.........wtf!!

Schobert was not rated or ranked by any of the major college ranking systems.[3] He didn't receive any NCAA Division I scholarship offers.[2] He wanted to play for the Wisconsin Badgers but was originally told he could tryout after the 2012 season started. Due to the lack of interest shown by Wisconsin, the only Division I football program in the state, he planned to attend Division I FCS University of North Dakota and join the Fighting Hawks as a walk-on.

In July 2012, Schobert's outstanding performance in the WFCA Large School All-Star Game in which he played running back, safety and kick returner, tallying 145 all-purpose yards, two tackles, two pass-breakups and an interception caught the attention of Kenosha Bradford football coach Jed Kennedy. When he learned that Schobert's only opportunity to play Division I college football was as a walk-on at North Dakota, he contacted people he knew in the University of Wisconsin athletic department. The day before Schobert was to depart for Grand Forks, North Dakota, Badgers head coach Bret Bielema offered him a preferred walk-on spot.[2] In Schobert's own words: "They had a great coaching staff up there. I liked them. I thought I would have fit in, but Madison offered at the last second. It was a dream come true for a Wisconsin kid, so I had to jump on it. The rest has been history."[4]

Recruiting.... competition.... the cost of college sports and keeping “current”.....U of M just opened the new Athelte’s Village facility. It cost $166 million for the 750 student athletes....

There is Charlie and Kathy Cunningham Basketball Development Center ( separate floors for men and women with  sound engineered floors on the courts to minimize sound), the Land ‘O Lakes Center for Excellence, the David and Jsnis Larson Football Performance Center (16,000 SQ)which is connected to the Indoor Practice Facility ( two buildings here folks), and the football complex has 34 study rooms. A new track facility opens this fall.

Northwestern in Michigan will open a $270 million complex this summer. Just saying...recruiting....competition.... the cost of college sports and keeping current....