SiouxSports.com Forum

Local WDAZ news broadcasts

Fetch

KXMC is garbage ……everything out of Bismarck as far as news goes…….local weather and local sports

KMOT has local news/weather/sports Monday - Friday…..

Minot folks not happy with the new KXMC…..Most people I know now have changed from KX to KMOT

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, gsiouxo said:

KXMC is garbage ……everything out of Bismarck as far as news goes…….local weather and local sports

Minot folks not happy with the new KXMC…..Most people I know now have changed from KX to KMOT

We have dish and are forced to have kfyr over kmot, dish sent us an antenna to get kmot. We also get wday/z news on the abc station out of Bismarck. 

2 hours ago, gsiouxo said:

Both stations in Minot are garbage, KX not local anymore and KMOT no on air talent?  Kids from MSU that are getting their first on air experience and it brutally shows.

So we're stuck with a Monopoly out of Fargo - does anyone think this should be addressed by our city leaders or State Legislatures 

Maybe a boycott of everything put out by the foolum (does anyone actually buy the GF Herald anymore ? & if so why ?) THIS IS DISGRACEFUL & A INSULT TO OUR COMMUNITY - We had a pretty good product that I watched & miss & like was said whos going to report how we feel when they monopolize all the news media - Get Pissed People of Grand Forks & our Region - Now that cable & satellite TV is becoming the norm they think we don't need local & regional news weather & sports ? We don't want Fargo news weather or sports & especially a shared broadcast -DISGUSTING.

The "HOME TEAM" IS GETTING THE SHAFT !

• Upvote 1

I wonder if the FCC has rules about sh!t like this ? 

When they originally gave out licenses to cover areas I doubt they considered monopolies doing crap like this 

Back then folks were thrilled to get TV period & sure the bigger towns got it 1st - even putting up more or bigger towers to put their station out there & I believe most stations & networks were individually owned & competitive-  Not Monopolies taking over & taking away local & regional programing

I want to hear news weather & sports in the region & don't think Fargo can be all to everyone 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, runaroundsioux said:

It's a business. If not enough people watch they can't sell advertising and thus can't make money. Blame Goon.

So all these years, they were able to make money with WDAZ covering Grand Forks and Devils Lake. And now, all of a sudden, they can't? :blink:

You can buy that load of *bleep* if you want. Me and Fetch are not.

And I still cannot figure out how KVLY and KXJB can be owned by the same people in the same market. Maybe it is time we start enforcing our anti-trust laws instead of rubber stamping every merger that gets proposed.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

20 hours ago, fightingsioux4life said:

So all these years, they were able to make money with WDAZ covering Grand Forks and Devils Lake. And now, all of a sudden, they can't? :blink:

And I still cannot figure out how KVLY and KXJB can be owned by the same people in the same market. Maybe it is time we start enforcing our anti-trust laws instead of rubber stamping every merger that gets proposed.

WDAZ make money? WDAY (mothership) can easily make it look like WDAZ makes money but in the long run, it barely makes money. Sales reps for WDAZ are forced to sell to local advertisers and when I mean local I mean all the small mom and pop businesses. All the "national" businesses or bigger businesses are handled out of WDAY in Fargo and the revenue is split 65/35.

There just is not enough local businesses in the grand forks market that are willing to advertise on TV anymore, thus the reason for shifting almost everything down to fargo. It will be a sad day when WDAZ leaves grand forks but when other businesses don't support/buy advertising, it leaves them no choice.

Also, Reggie hasn't been at WDAZ for 3/4 years and now he works at NDEC.

On 1/3/2017 at 3:15 PM, Fetch said:

So we're stuck with a Monopoly out of Fargo - does anyone think this should be addressed by our city leaders or State Legislatures 

Maybe a boycott of everything put out by the foolum (does anyone actually buy the GF Herald anymore ? & if so why ?) THIS IS DISGRACEFUL & A INSULT TO OUR COMMUNITY - We had a pretty good product that I watched & miss & like was said whos going to report how we feel when they monopolize all the news media - Get Pissed People of Grand Forks & our Region - Now that cable & satellite TV is becoming the norm they think we don't need local & regional news weather & sports ? We don't want Fargo news weather or sports & especially a shared broadcast -DISGUSTING.

The "HOME TEAM" IS GETTING THE SHAFT !

Nicely Put.

On 1/3/2017 at 9:39 PM, fightingsioux4life said:

Technically, "KXJB" doesn't exist anymore, as NBC and CBS are just on two different subchannels of the same station now.  The FCC actually did start wanting to deny and break apart the multiple ownership/marketing arrangements, so companies worked around that by buying a station, moving the network to one of their channels, and then reselling one channel to someone else.  There's no rules about multiple major networks being on one channel.  It's actually helped many rural areas, who now get more channels than they did before the digital transition.

So in the Fargo market, you have the station that used to be KXJB now carrying a whole bunch of minor networks created for digital subchannels.  Some call then "diginets".  MeTV, Buzzr, Antenna TV, etc.

Same thing happened in Bismarck, the owners of NBC bought the Fox station, moved FOX to subchannels of the NBC affiliates in western North Dakota, and sold the old Fox stations off to someone else who put Heroes and Icons and BEK sports on it.  That actually increased the FOX coverage area so it can be seen by more people now over the air.

On 1/3/2017 at 10:22 PM, runaroundsioux said:

All these  years we didn't have DirecTV, DishNetwork, internet,etc. Newspapers are in the same boat. Young people don't watch local news or read newspapers. I didn't say I liked it, it's just how it is. Anti-trust laws? Really? You're talking about small time TV stations,not Standard Oil.

All this stuff doesn't seem to be hurting WDAY or KVLY. Or maybe it does and they cover it up?

And a monopoly is a monopoly; are you saying as long as it's a local and/or regional issue, monopolies are just fine?

1 hour ago, fightingsioux4life said:

All this stuff doesn't seem to be hurting WDAY or KVLY. Or maybe it does and they cover it up?

And a monopoly is a monopoly; are you saying as long as it's a local and/or regional issue, monopolies are just fine?

KVLY is now behind WDAY in Ratings in their respective markets last I heard.  KVLY was a Juggernaut for years as far as ratings go but now if you watch the first 5 minutes, it is 3 stories people submitted on facebook weather and then something that is trending on twitter.  No Journalism. 

WDAY out of Fargo is the ABC morning show for most of the state of ND.  I watch have caught it in Bismarck, Williston and Minot.  Someone should let them know the weather guy is standing in front of half the broadcast area.

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, MoreSiouxForYou said:

KVLY is now behind WDAY in Ratings in their respective markets last I heard.  KVLY was a Juggernaut for years as far as ratings go but now if you watch the first 5 minutes, it is 3 stories people submitted on facebook weather and then something that is trending on twitter.  No Journalism. 

WDAY out of Fargo is the ABC morning show for most of the state of ND.  I watch have caught it in Bismarck, Williston and Minot.  Someone should let them know the weather guy is standing in front of half the broadcast area.

KVLY has devolved into tabloid trash. They have chased out all the good journalists (Charley Johnson for example) and are only worth watching for the weather.

5 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

... and are only worth watching for the weather.

Ditch the middleman. 

http://www.weather.gov/fgf 

I've been told a quite spectacular drinking game is to watch Valley News Live at 10 pm: everyone drinks every time they say "Facebook" or "Twitter". 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, fightingsioux4life said:

KVLY has devolved into tabloid trash. They have chased out all the good journalists (Charley Johnson for example) and are only worth watching for the weather.

This is the only reason I watch KVLY. In Fargo you want news and sports (more than NDSU) its WDAY, for weather I watch Hutch, that guy who looks like Gru from Despicable Me, and of course Lisa Green:love:.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/10/2017 at 0:20 PM, fightingsioux4life said:

Charley Johnson didn't leave because of how they covered the news.