SiouxSports.com Forum

Local WDAZ news broadcasts

Fetch

4 hours ago, Fetch said:

Am I getting Fargo local news on channel 8 - I used to get the Grand Forks local crew ?

You're lucky you can still get WDAZ... I have DirecTV :)

There's a train of thought that eventually there will only be one ABC in the eastern part of the state. It will be in Fargo. 

Notice when Phill left they didn't fill his spot. 

10 minutes ago, Goon said:

You're lucky you can still get WDAZ... I have DirecTV :)

Which means less money for WDAZ. You're probably right in that WDAZ will cease to exist and it'll be a sad day when Grand Forks will no longer have a news station and every tv newscast in GF will have little Bison logos constantly at the bottom.

8 hours ago, Cratter said:

Which means less money for WDAZ. You're probably right in that WDAZ will cease to exist and it'll be a sad day when Grand Forks will no longer have a news station and every tv newscast in GF will have little Bison logos constantly at the bottom.

I hope WDAZ stays around. 

Per a recently retired employee, they are carrying WDAY newscasts Dec 24th thru Jan 8th.  Then back to the 10 per week locally.   Also, its the first time in decades that DAZ has neither a local Station Manager or a local News Director.  Not looking good.

21 hours ago, Cratter said:

I hope WDAZ stays around, too. Two of my two favorite sports personnel Maddie and Phil have left and I no longer really watch them online anymore. 

8 hours ago, CMSioux said:

The answer to "Why" can be found by following the money. Less staff = lower overhead = higher profits for Forum Communications. No amount of complaining in GF will have an impact - it is inevitable. 

And it is also inevitable that I will not bother watching their newscast anymore. Fargo really thinks it is Minneapolis.

What's next, the Grand Forks Heraldo gets shut down and we are force-fed the Fargo Forum?

Bismarck has local news on two stations.  The Grand Forks market is a little smaller, but close enough that the idea of not having any local news is stupid.  Even Minot has one full local news and one partial local news (unless that's changed with the new owners of both the CBS and NBC station groups).

Even Williston has partial local news on their NBC station.

The selfishness of the Fargo TV stations has always bothered me, and I don't even live in the Eastern part of the state.

Instead of covering their part of the state with multiple towers giving multiple over the air signals like western ND, you have a couple instances of putting up one tower to reach part of the area, and saying screw you to the areas in Eastern ND that it can't reach.

• Upvote 2