SiouxSports.com Forum

Hawks With The Best Chance To Play In NFL

nodak651

11 minutes ago, gundy1124 said:

Overall, Harris is a really good FCS player, he made some HUGE plays for us!!  I am just of the opinion his NFL talk is based on a break out that hasn't happened, yet.

Correct. It's all about potential which is what I've said all along. We have to wait and see how next season goes.

Long 6-3 corners don't grow on trees. They are rare and can't be coached or taught that. 

Like I said it's up to Deion to take his game and commitment to the next level. He has the highest ceiling for NFL potential based on his measurables

16 minutes ago, gundy1124 said:

One of the 2 runs with Santiago and McKinnon for sprints. (Reyes)  NFL scouts are regularly in contact with UND about 1 player.  (Reyes)

NFL scouts don't ask about Harris?

We obviously disagree on the Harris vs Reyes NFL draft potential. We can only wait and see how it plays out.

What we don't disagree on is that Cole is the best defensive player in the BSC and MAYBE the entire country. Maybe. He's definitely most valuable to his team.

32 minutes ago, gundy1124 said:

I'm sure the article doesn't hurt......

Speaking of the article, Reyes is the defending BSC Defensive POY and he doesnt even get mentioned?  Seems odd since he has the resume and notoriety.

Either there is fire with that smoke or the author of the article is in la-la land.

It's awesome to have 2 pro prospects on defense, both from the secondary no less.  We've come a long way in the back row in a short time.

1 hour ago, UNDvince97-01 said:

Speaking of the article, Reyes is the defending BSC Defensive POY and he doesnt even get mentioned?  Seems odd since he has the resume and notoriety.

Either there is fire with that smoke or the author of the article is in la-la land.

It's awesome to have 2 pro prospects on defense, both from the secondary no less.  We've come a long way in the back row in a short time.

I'd go with la-la land.

I love that Hero sports gives the FCS so much attention, but the quality of their articles leaves something to be desired. They have completely fallen hard for the Ag school hype and are quite biased with it. Also, they screwed over UND in their recruiting class rankings, in my opinion. Just my two cents; I think Reyes will get plenty of attention this season from the NFL and he may portentially get some post-season invites depending on how he performs/does health-wise. He has the measurables, that's for sure.

1 hour ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

I'd go with la-la land.

I love that Hero sports gives the FCS so much attention, but the quality of their articles leaves something to be desired. They have completely fallen hard for the Ag school hype and are quite biased with it. Also, they screwed over UND in their recruiting class rankings, in my opinion. Just my two cents; I think Reyes will get plenty of attention this season from the NFL and he may portentially get some post-season invites depending on how he performs/does health-wise. He has the measurables, that's for sure.

Screwed over as in we lost recruits because of them? 

21 hours ago, geaux_sioux said:

Being an NFL athlete is all that matters. They will take guys on potential and mold them.

It's not "all that matters". The NFL values actually seeing what they want or else it becomes a projection mess. See Will Ratelle - played linebacker but was projected at fullback; that certainly didn't *help* his draft stock any. Had Ratelle been drafted, it would've made him more difficult to cut. If you give Santiago actual opportunities returning and out in the slot, that will help his value due to less projections. 

Just now, UND-FB-FAN said:

It's not "all that matters". The NFL values actually seeing what they want or else it becomes a projection mess. See Will Ratelle - played linebacker but was projected at fullback; that certainly didn't *help* his draft stock any. If you give Santiago actually opportunities returning and out in the slot, that will help his value due to less projections. 

If Will was a little taller he'd be an NFL LB right now. I'm still hoping he ends up on a team and they get a little thin at ILB and he steps in and the next London Fletcher is born.

3 hours ago, geaux_sioux said:

If Will was a little taller he'd be an NFL LB right now. I'm still hoping he ends up on a team and they get a little thin at ILB and he steps in and the next London Fletcher is born.

I too would love to see Ratelle get a shot at linebacker, but the passing league that the NFL is right now just doesn't allow it, unfortunately.

• 2 months later...

http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/news/top-prospects-for-2018-nfl-draft-quarterbacks-rosen-darnold-allen-jackson/182rsrhyr56gi169i3w1p8obcq

Sporting News has Deion Harris in the 1st round in the way too early 2018 draft projections. 

I don't think he will end up going in the first round at this point, but NFL scouts obviously know who he is and his talent level.  I'm a little confused about the special teams comment, however:

"18. Deion Harris, CB, North Dakota: Almost every year there is an FCS player or two who sneaks into the first round. Harris could be that player next year. An excellent special teams player, Harris is a 6-3, 180-pounder who had five interceptions last season and could leave North Dakota as the school’s all-time leader in pass breakups."

Interesting...

EDIT:  I know, I know.... #ButMitchLeidner

25 minutes ago, UNDvince97-01 said:

http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/news/top-prospects-for-2018-nfl-draft-quarterbacks-rosen-darnold-allen-jackson/182rsrhyr56gi169i3w1p8obcq

Sporting News has Deion Harris in the 1st round in the way too early 2018 draft projections. 

I don't think he will end up going in the first round at this point, but NFL scouts obviously know who he is and his talent level.  I'm a little confused about the special teams comment, however:

"18. Deion Harris, CB, North Dakota: Almost every year there is an FCS player or two who sneaks into the first round. Harris could be that player next year. An excellent special teams player, Harris is a 6-3, 180-pounder who had five interceptions last season and could leave North Dakota as the school’s all-time leader in pass breakups."

Interesting...

Wow! I know there was another mention of him being a potential second rounder, but this is pretty surprising. Deion will have to really prove himself this year to keep the hype, but it is pretty cool to see some guys getting this kind of attention.

Hopefully he's sees this kind of stuff as motivation. Obviously he is catching some eyes.

A little humorous that according to this list, Harris would be considered the #2 CB prospect in the country. He is good, but I'm not sure I would call that realistic. On the other hand, another year like last year (or even a little better) and he will really build the hype.

12 minutes ago, siouxfan512 said:

Wow! I know there was another mention of him being a potential second rounder, but this is pretty surprising. Deion will have to really prove himself this year to keep the hype, but it is pretty cool to see some guys getting this kind of attention.

Hopefully he's sees this kind of stuff as motivation. Obviously he is catching some eyes.

A little humorous that according to this list, Harris would be considered the #2 CB prospect in the country. He is good, but I'm not sure I would call that realistic. On the other hand, another year like last year (or even a little better) and he will really build the hype.

Length, potential and projection...

Deion has so much to get better at in order to earn that type of ranking right now, and hopefully Deion realizes and understands this, but that is why he has the scout's attention.

6 minutes ago, UNDvince97-01 said:

Length, potential and projection...

Deion has so much to get better at in order to earn that type of ranking right now, and hopefully Deion realizes and understands this, but that is why he has the scout's attention.

Agreed. I still think it is unlikely .... HIGHLY unlikely, but it is cool to see UND and its players get some recognition.

I think his height and 3 INT's returned for TD's are hyping up higher than he maybe should be right now.  Hopefully this is only making him work harder to try and be the best he can be to reach that potential. I think realistically if he could get drafted between rounds 3-5 that would still be pretty impressive.  Great to see a UND player get that much attention though.  With both him and Reyes highly thought of I'm sure they'll be scouts at a few games, maybe a guy like Santiago gets on the radar then too if he has a monster game like he is capable of when our OL is on it's game.  

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, UND-1 said:

First round?  Ummmm yah.  I love UND Football but that is a bit much.

I'll let him play out his senior season before I speculate on his limitations. 

It is great to see both Deion Harris and Cole Reyes get the pre-season attention they deserve. The other two DBs in the base defense need to step up in 2017, whoever those two end up being. 

2 hours ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

I'll let him play out his senior season before I speculate on his limitations. 

It is great to see both Deion Harris and Cole Reyes get the pre-season attention they deserve. The other two DBs in the base defense need to step up in 2017, whoever those two end up being. 

I am not worried about the corner opposite of Harris.  You will see Hunt and Holm 2.0 this season.  Carter can play too, injuries have plagued him.  But his injuries have been upper body so his feet, speed, agility are not a concern.

I am a little worried about safety #2 thru #4........

• UNDBIZ changed the title to Hawks With The Best Chance To Play In NFL