SiouxSports.com Forum

Hawks With The Best Chance To Play In NFL

nodak651

We are lacking typical off season threads, so here it is.  Who on this team has the best chance or potential to play in the nfl or get drafted?  Reyes, Harris, Santiago, Oliveira, Johannesson, Georges?  Anybody else?  Does Ratelle still have a shot?

The Utah game can't come soon enough..

1. Reyes

2. Donnell....Great speed and burst!   Little short (6'1") for a prototypical NFL LB but that's about the only knock.  looking for a big year from him in 2017. Will be only be a soph.  

3. Demon with a couple more years  could be up there as well.

4. Tank ...great size and very athletic....still has two more years to prove himself  

If you are counting this year, I think Coe has a legitimate shot. Oliveira has a great chance to play in the CFL, partly because he is Canadian. I can see Santiago making it as a slot receiver if he shows some potential there, And Reyes could get a shot, an injury-free senior year would really help him

1 hour ago, Sioux95 said:

If you are counting this year, I think Coe has a legitimate shot. Oliveira has a great chance to play in the CFL, partly because he is Canadian. I can see Santiago making it as a slot receiver if he shows some potential there, And Reyes could get a shot, an injury-free senior year would really help him

Reyes will almost certainly get a tryout at the minimum. He's already had scouts looking at him quite closely. 

On 12/29/2016 at 7:16 PM, geaux_sioux said:

I'd bet he gets drafted. His ability to tackle in space is rare and extremely valuable the way offenses are designed to get the athletes in space.

He's a hard hitter.  I'd like to see him wrap up more, but that's me.  He lowers the shoulder and makes the big hit . . . but at the NFL level those backs may stay on their feet.

Not taking away from his play-making skills.  He's always there when a play needs to be made.

On 12/29/2016 at 7:16 PM, geaux_sioux said:

I'd bet he gets drafted. His ability to tackle in space is rare and extremely valuable the way offenses are designed to get the athletes in space.

I would be surprised if Reyes gets drafted. He is a very good FCS Safety, but I am not sure if he is an NFL caliber safety. Heagle for NDSU was an exceptional tackler and extremely hard hitter a couple of years ago, and he had a tryout or two but didn't stick on. I am not sure Reyes is better than Heagle. It may just take the right opportunity though, he may get that chance. I am not sure either (Reyes or Heagle) defends the pass well enough to make it in the NFL. Run stopping safeties are not a huge commodity in the NFL. Coe has a chance to get drafted. Did I hear he has an invite to an all star game? If so, if he shows well there he should get a shot. I personally think he has a better shot than Zach Johnson of NDSU.

22 minutes ago, nd1sufan said:

I would be surprised if Reyes gets drafted. He is a very good FCS Safety, but I am not sure if he is an NFL caliber safety. Heagle for NDSU was an exceptional tackler and extremely hard hitter a couple of years ago, and he had a tryout or two but didn't stick on. I am not sure Reyes is better than Heagle. It may just take the right opportunity though, he may get that chance. I am not sure either (Reyes or Heagle) defends the pass well enough to make it in the NFL. Run stopping safeties are not a huge commodity in the NFL. Coe has a chance to get drafted. Did I hear he has an invite to an all star game? If so, if he shows well there he should get a shot. I personally think he has a better shot than Zach Johnson of NDSU.

Reyes is better against the pass than Heagle. Most importantly though is he is a hell of a lot faster.

23 minutes ago, nd1sufan said:

Killebrew from S Utah was a 4th rounder last year. Similar in size, but I think Reyes could be a tish faster and stronger. Not saying Reyes will go that high, but he's got a pretty good shot at going somewhere 

I do not believe Reyes will get drafted, primarily because of question marks with his speed and coverage skills at the next level by scouts for his position. I 100% hope I'm wrong.  I think he will get a chance as a free agent in a camp at minimum however.  His intangibles are off the charts.  Cole is one of the best players to come through UND in a long time.  Just needs to stay healthy now.

In my opinion, Deion Harris has the best chance to get drafted because of his measurables at his position.  By default, NFL teams will gravitate to him because of his 6-3 height and long frame.  He's very good in press man right now because of his length, but needs to be better in off-man and zone techniques. He just needs to go out and prove he is a complete football player next season.  Needs to be better with technique, be more physical overall and play with more of an edge.  Needs a 'prick valve' and to want to DOMINATE the WR when the ball is in the air. He has a chance to be the best corner to ever play at UND.  The skill set is by far the best.  Just needs to be more consistent and to go out and play like it and prove it.

EDIT:  Harris needs to run a better 40 as well for the scouts.

Just my 2 cents...

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, UNDvince97-01 said:

I do not believe Reyes will get drafted, primarily because of question marks with his speed and coverage skills at the next level by scouts for his position. I 100% hope I'm wrong.  I think he will get a chance as a free agent in a camp at minimum however.  His intangibles are off the charts.  Cole is one of the best players to come through UND in a long time.  Just needs to stay healthy now.

In my opinion, Deion Harris has the best chance to get drafted because of his measurables at his position.  By default, NFL teams will gravitate to him because of his 6-3 height and long frame.  He's very good in press man right now because of his length, but needs to be better in off-man and zone techniques. He just needs to go out and prove he is a complete football player next season.  Needs to be better with technique, be more physical overall and play with more of an edge.  Needs a 'prick valve' and to want to DOMINATE the WR when the ball is in the air. He has a chance to be the best corner to ever play at UND.  The skill set is by far the best.  Just needs to be more consistent and to go out and play like it and prove it.

Just my 2 cents...

I agree with you about Harris having a chance, too. But doesn't anyone remember this spring Baukol tweeting Reyes ran one of the fastest 40s on the team? I'd hope he'll only get faster. 

10 minutes ago, UNDvince97-01 said:

Reyes ran a 4.61 this past spring.

The way the timing works he should run a 4.51 at the combine and 4.41 hand timed. UND uses the most accurate, and slow, means for timing a 40. They used it one year at the combine and all the times were so slow that they never used it again. At the combine its a hand start laser finish.

5 hours ago, UNDvince97-01 said:

EDIT:  Harris needs to run a better 40 as well for the scouts.

Just my 2 cents...

I think Reyes has a shot to be drafted.  

Harris, not that close at this point.  1) He doesn't shut down Big Sky receivers 2) The staff never matches up Harris on the other team's best guy, telling me they don't think he is that type of player.  That said, he never redshirted and could take the next step to becoming 'Harris Island' but he really really needs to improve before any serious NFL talk.

• 1 month later...
On 12/31/2016 at 4:23 PM, gundy1124 said:

I think Reyes has a shot to be drafted.  

Harris, not that close at this point.  1) He doesn't shut down Big Sky receivers 2) The staff never matches up Harris on the other team's best guy, telling me they don't think he is that type of player.  That said, he never redshirted and could take the next step to becoming 'Harris Island' but he really really needs to improve before any serious NFL talk.

Someone seems to think that deion harris is the #1 NFL draft prospect from FCS at this point for the 2018 draft. Is it NFL draft gospel? No. I don't necessarily think he's #1, but the talent potential for the next levels appears to be shared by others and his reputation from a physical measurables standpoint seems to have gotten around.

http://m.herosports.com/news/fcs-players-2018-nfl-draft-targets

Edit: oops I see this link was already discussed in another thread

12 hours ago, UNDvince97-01 said:

Someone seems to think that deion harris is the #1 NFL draft prospect from FCS at this point for the 2018 draft. Is it NFL draft gospel? No. I don't necessarily think he's #1, but the talent potential for the next levels appears to be shared by others and his reputation from a physical measurables standpoint seems to have gotten around.

http://m.herosports.com/news/fcs-players-2018-nfl-draft-targets

Edit: oops I see this link was already discussed in another thread

Reyes or Harris -

One of the 2 runs with Santiago and McKinnon for sprints. (Reyes)  NFL scouts are regularly in contact with UND about 1 player.  (Reyes)

Harris will benefit from Reyes if he breaks out, or he could become a trendy talking point/player because of his size.  (I can hear Mel Kiper now mentioning Harris, 6'3")

As I mentioned before, Harris never took a redshirt, he has the potential to break out or the NFL may think they can develop him, both routes to get him drafted.

Overall, Harris is a really good FCS player, he made some HUGE plays for us!!  I am just of the opinion his NFL talk is based on a break out that hasn't happened, yet.

• UNDBIZ changed the title to Hawks With The Best Chance To Play In NFL