SiouxSports.com Forum

ND High School Hockey 16-17

OgieOgilthorpe

35 minutes ago, OgieOgilthorpe said:

Elusive banner? If they hung banners, they would need to spread them out through the Purpur and the Gam to fit them all. Winning in 2010 really doesn't seem that long ago does it? Are you referring to their 2014 title getting robbed by BHS maybe? 

It does when the other school in town has won 3 since your last one!! :D

• Upvote 1

Is this year's HB team possibly one of the worst, if not thee worst Varsity team ND has ever seen? I don't mean to put them down, and I do really hope they bounce back in the coming years...but man oh man, it has been tough to see these scores coming across. They're getting outscored 132-7 in 11 games so far. 5 of those 7 goals were against Rapid City's JV team. 3 of their 11 loses were against JV teams. 

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, OgieOgilthorpe said:

Is this year's HB team possibly one of the worst, if not thee worst Varsity team ND has ever seen? I don't mean to put them down, and I do really hope they bounce back in the coming years...but man oh man, it has been tough to see these scores coming across. They're getting outscored 132-7 in 11 games so far. 5 of those 7 goals were against Rapid City's JV team. 3 of their 11 loses were against JV teams. 

I wouldn't be surprised if they fold their program after this year. Not good news at all. :(

4 hours ago, OgieOgilthorpe said:

Elusive banner? If they hung banners, they would need to spread them out through the Purpur and the Gam to fit them all. Winning in 2010 really doesn't seem that long ago does it? Are you referring to their 2014 title getting robbed by BHS maybe? 

Yes, elusive as in the last three years. RR has more banners once the high school was built. Let's hope Central can win it all this year! 

23 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

I wouldn't be surprised if they fold their program after this year. Not good news at all. :(

This is a down year for all of ND hockey but HB needs to be junior gold or something. Just a sign of the times with most sports here. Check out freshman boys n girls basketball numbers as another example. Maybe Rericks blog letter rant holds some truth.

7 minutes ago, sioux rube said:

Is Watfird City going the high school route next season instead of Junior Gold?

They would be a good fill in if HB dropped out. Although, it looks like they are winless thus far in Jr. Gold this season. Was there legitimate talk of this happening somewhere? 

1 hour ago, OgieOgilthorpe said:

I believe there was a winless year under Bob Gillen, but the stats had to be better than this years team. I did come across these stats from 01-02. Gave up less goals the entire regular season than this years team gave up in one game. 

image.png

2 hours ago, OgieOgilthorpe said:

They would be a good fill in if HB dropped out. Although, it looks like they are winless thus far in Jr. Gold this season. Was there legitimate talk of this happening somewhere? 

As far as I know yes there was real talk about this happening. But if they are winless in Junior Gold then I highly doubt it happens. 

2 hours ago, R_Schneider_4 said:

I believe there was a winless year under Bob Gillen, but the stats had to be better than this years team. I did come across these stats from 01-02. Gave up less goals the entire regular season than this years team gave up in one game. 

image.png

I remember that season. Was that the year they had bleached hair at state well before RR started doing that? 

Under bob gillen? Did he coach, or do you mean you found one team winless on his stat site? 

4 hours ago, OgieOgilthorpe said:

That would be hard to believe.  In the 70's,  low enrollment schools such as Midway, Park River, and Cando fielded their own teams and played in the Durum conference with Bottineau and newby hockey school Jamestown.

1 hour ago, OgieOgilthorpe said:

I remember that season. Was that the year they had bleached hair at state well before RR started doing that? 

Under bob gillen? Did he coach, or do you mean you found one team winless on his stat site? 

Not sure about bleached hair but they were coached by Jeff Gustafson. 

1 hour ago, SiouxVolley said:

That would be hard to believe.  In the 70's,  low enrollment schools such as Midway, Park River, and Cando fielded their own teams and played in the Durum conference with Bottineau and newby hockey school Jamestown.

Played against all 3 of those teams. 76-77 was Cando's last season and possibly Park Rivers too. Cando had quite the barn. Neutral ice could not of been more than 20 feet plus the chicken wire for plexi glass. 

46 minutes ago, sioux rube said:

Played against all 3 of those teams. 76-77 was Cando's last season and possibly Park Rivers too. Cando had quite the barn. Neutral ice could not of been more than 20 feet plus the chicken wire for plexi glass. 

Cando still uses that rink for youth hockey. They have 1-2 players most years that still head to DL and join their team. 

What was Cando back then, the cubs? 

1 minute ago, OgieOgilthorpe said:

Cando still uses that rink for youth hockey. They have 1-2 players most years that still head to DL and join their team. 

What was Cando back then, the cubs? 

Yep the Cubs. They did build another one years ago. I coached in that one on occasion.

8 hours ago, sioux rube said:

As far as I know yes there was real talk about this happening. But if they are winless in Junior Gold then I highly doubt it happens. 

Could Watford City co-op with Sidney, who also has a ND Jr Gold team?  It would be a closer co-op situation than Bottineau-Rugby or DL-Cando and with a fine new rink.  Co-ops in two states are allowed - i.e. Wahp-Breck or Fairmont-Campbell-Tintah or even Warren-Oslo-Manvel.

7 hours ago, SiouxVolley said:

Could Watford City co-op with Sidney, who also has a ND Jr Gold team?  It would be a closer co-op situation than Bottineau-Rugby or DL-Cando and with a fine new rink.  Co-ops in two states are allowed - i.e. Wahp-Breck or Fairmont-Campbell-Tintah or even Warren-Oslo-Manvel.

Don't Manvel kids still go to Central? 

14 hours ago, OgieOgilthorpe said:

Yeah that was the year.  Bob was the coach for 4-5 seasons before Gusto came in and had multiple winning seasons.