SiouxSports.com Forum

ND High School Hockey 16-17

OgieOgilthorpe

Central will lose over 300 points from their senior class after this season.  And if Caufield goes to juniors it pushes it up to around the 370s or 380s.  As soon as they update the high school site we will have an official number.  

That is unreal. 

13 hours ago, Wilbur said:

I know a few girls coaches in the state and they completely agree.  Plus I've heard they've got a pretty good U19 team.   

Why is there such a gap between them and GF.  In watching the game last night GF looked slow and unskilled.  Is that there isn't enough interest at the girls level to put together a higher end team?

23 minutes ago, siouxweet said:

Why is there such a gap between them and GF.  In watching the game last night GF looked slow and unskilled.  Is that there isn't enough interest at the girls level to put together a higher end team?

Like I said before girls hockey in ND has taken a bit of a step backwards as far as overall talent goes but will be on the rise with the talent at the U14 and U12 levels. Grand Forks isn't near the team when I coached the Jamestown team 4 years ago. They were 3 lines deep and by far the most physical team in the state. Beat us for third that year with Bismarck winning it all again.

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, sioux rube said:

The venue at Scheels is just better for atmosphere than the Ralph especially with their new sheet of ice. So much nicer than the Olympic rink. 

What is it about Farmers Union that compares so favorably to Olympic? Seating, viewing, concessions, sound? I ask only because my reaction to the few clips I've seen has been "Meh, could be any newer community rink in the area." In fact, I had to do a double-check the other day when I saw a broadcast from there.  I was expecting something a little more "done."

2 hours ago, NoiseInsideMyHead said:

What is it about Farmers Union that compares so favorably to Olympic? Seating, viewing, concessions, sound? I ask only because my reaction to the few clips I've seen has been "Meh, could be any newer community rink in the area." In fact, I had to do a double-check the other day when I saw a broadcast from there.  I was expecting something a little more "done."

Viewing and seating beats the Olympic by a mile. Not to mention it doesn't sound like you are in a tin can as far as sound goes. 

5 minutes ago, sioux rube said:

Viewing and seating beats the Olympic by a mile. Not to mention it doesn't sound like you are in a tin can as far as sound goes. 

It's a quality second rink for a venue like the state tournament

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, sioux rube said:

Championship game had 4988 fans. Real close to capacity. The venue at Scheels is just better for atmosphere than the Ralph especially with their new sheet of ice. So much nicer than the Olympic rink. 

Heard the atmosphere was great last night. I was at the Ralph..........it wasn't there!

8 hours ago, geaux_sioux said:

How do this years stats compare to LaDue and Johnsons team that crushed everyone?

I'm assuming you're talking about the 09-10 central team that went 24-3 and won state? It doesn't nearly compare in the lost points production, but they did lose quite a few of their main guys and D core. They lost 8 SRs including their stud goalie. That SR class only had about 168 points, but they also lost an additional 97 points between Purpur and LaDue who left early. Looks like Simonson and Johnson went on to have good individual seasons the next year but their team dropped to 13-11...ouch. 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

During this boring non-football and non-hockey time of the year I was thinking about the upcoming hockey season and what ND boys will be playing D1 hockey. Does anyone have any names to add to my list from last season?

Bryce Schmidt- Minot at Lake Superior State- I believe he was a SR so he is done

Jade Miller- Grafton at UMD- Might find himself more playing time this season with their big turnover

Aaron Nelson- Century at Mankato State- I believe he was the 3rd string goalie last year

Alec Rauhauser- Century at Bowling Green- I remember watching him in HS but haven't heard much about him in college yet. 

Mason Morelli- Minot at Neb Omaha- He looked like a big strong skater with some potential when I watched him last season playing at the Ralph.

Jordan Nelson- Williston at Mankato State- Is he the first Williston grad to play D1 hockey? 

Casey Johnson- Central at UND- Very well known that he improved vastly last season and will be a big part of the D-core this season.

Johnny Simo- Central at UND- Very well known that he is a role player without a big role. I think he will have a very similar season to last.

Casey Purpur- Central at Northern Michigan- I would catch his name on their score sheet every now and then. I believe his dad played there as well?

Jon Lizotte- RR at St. Cloud- He seemed like one of their better D-men last season. I expect even bigger things this up coming season.

Jacob Benson- RR at St. Cloud- He'll be right in the mix of things on offense again this season and I think he'll top his 19pts from last. I wouldn't mind having him at UND! 

Was there anyone from Fargo that I'm missing? Maybe another from RR or one from Bis High I'm missing?