SiouxSports.com Forum

ND High School Hockey 16-17

OgieOgilthorpe

6 minutes ago, yzerman19 said:

There are over 3000 students at EP high- law of numbers would favor them.  

Top end Minny 2A would beat a combined GF team, but GF would be competitive in that league- like a Duluth East or Moorhead.

I've watched EP play roughly 4-5 times this year.  An all GF team would easily have a chance if they could contain Middlestadt.  They would smoke Moorhead. Actually other than Middlestadt and Lieverman, they really arent that good.  I actually think they'll get upset at some point during the tourney.

3 hours ago, Yote 53 said:

Regarding SW MN hockey, it is growing and the programs are getting better.  Luverne is hockey crazy right now and they have some great groups coming up through the ranks.  Having coached against a good cross section of youth teams this past year, and over the past several years, from SD, and the Midwest, to ND across to Duluth, to the Cities, into Wisconsin, down into southern MN from Rochester across to Luverne I think I have a pretty good feel for what is going on.  Some of those southern MN towns, Luverne, New Ulm, Litchfield, Hutchinson, Albert Lea, and Owatonna, in particular, are putting teams on the ice just as good or better than many of the northern and city programs.  There is a shift happening and over the next decade you will see that play out in the Class A tournament in St. Paul as the southern schools begin to have some real good showings.  Class AA won't change much as the Rochester program has to feed so many schools it dilutes the HS teams. 

Back to the present, what is the schedule for games today.  Stream on WDAY again for us out-of-staters?

Good points along with the fact that Sioux Falls now has a Tier 1 team at the U16 and U18 divisions and has done respectable against some very tough competition.

6 hours ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

Sidenote to east of the river:  If you thought Centrals performance was dominant yesterday, the Green Wave may have outdone them.  EGF beat Bagley-Fosston 7-0 and outshot them 60-0!!!  Yeah you are reading that right.  EGF did not allow a single shot on goal!

Saw that last night and knew EGF would dominate but I don't think I've ever seen a team not at least get a shot or 2 on net. I'm sure the Bagley team and fans were still just pretty happy to be there. I played in 8A and have continued to follow it at least somewhat and I don't think Bagley had ever even made it to the quarterfinals before this season.

Sometimes just taking the field (or taking the ice) is the accomplishment.  There are some places that don't understand just what that means, and others that know it all too well.  I've coached some teams where, after a hard fought loss, I've had to give the locker room message of how proud I was of them because, and they were just too young to understand it, they weren't supposed to be there and be in that position in the first place.  It's what makes sports so freaking great.

• Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

I saw some highlights of the girls yesterday and that Curl girl for Bismarck is just a woman amongst little girls.  Wonder how she doesn't end up at UND.  

I heard she wanted UND, but the coaches wanted her to leave Bismarck, and Wisconsin advised her to stay put.  Mom is a UND grad too...Doctor.

53 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

I saw some highlights of the girls yesterday and that Curl girl for Bismarck is just a woman amongst little girls.  Wonder how she doesn't end up at UND.  

She would of went to BC or Minnesota before UND. No need to look any further than the coach at UND. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, cberkas said:

When the best high school girls in North Dakota rather go somewhere else then UND there is a problem.

My daughter did the same for the same reason. Her goal since she was 6 was to play for the Fighting Sioux. He put an end to that when she had him at a hockey camp when she was 12. Told me you have to get her out of North Dakota. Sound familiar? 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, sioux rube said:

My daughter did the same for the same reason. Her goal since she was 6 was to play for the Fighting Sioux. He put an end to that when she had him at a hockey camp when she was 12. Told me you have to get her out of North Dakota. Sound familiar? 

That's a tough choice. If a girl is good enough to play at Shattuck then go to Shattuck, but if a girl rather stay home and play with her friends that's a good choice as well. A player and her parent's should make the choice not a coach.

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, sioux rube said:

That is ridiculous.  His kid is currently playing for Central....Guess he doesn't want his kid to play college hockey...