SiouxSports.com Forum

ND High School Hockey 16-17

OgieOgilthorpe

1 hour ago, siouxweet said:

It could be because of academics and when he got cut and wanted to re-enroll at Central he may not have taken enough classes in Bismarck to be eligible.  Just speculating.

I've heard around town that it is an eligibility issue, but I am not familiar enough to know if it's academic or something relating to his time in juniors. Whatever the issue is, going to EGF apparently solved it.

7 minutes ago, UND1981 said:

I was more referring to rude behavior toward concession workers.

Oh, okay, I get it now.

Spoiled brat behavior is by no means exclusive to GPR, but I have seen some of their players openly taunt the other team at the State Hockey Tournament, so that is why it sticks with me. Also, a lot of their fans are insufferable to be around, at least at the games.

40 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

Oh, okay, I get it now.

Spoiled brat behavior is by no means exclusive to GPR, but I have seen some of their players openly taunt the other team at the State Hockey Tournament, so that is why it sticks with me. Also, a lot of their fans are insufferable to be around, at least at the games.

During my time playing in the East Region, it was well known that GPR was the most disrespectful and hated team, followed closely by GFRR. It seemed like an agreement between all other teams that played them. Playing in summer leagues with them and against them only solidified those feelings. There were usually plenty of respectable kids in each of those programs, but they consistantly had a lot of gems that kept up that bad reputation. It was no secret 

• Upvote 1

23 hours ago, siouxweet said:

It could be because of academics and when he got cut and wanted to re-enroll at Central he may not have taken enough classes in Bismarck to be eligible.  Just speculating.

Here's what I was told of the Nick Lund story. He was told he was on Bismarck after main camp, during training camp and would play in 1/2-3/4 games. As the season progressed he played in 1/11 games but since he was still a senior had the opportunity to play in EGF and decided to go that route to actually play. ND has a rule that once you are living in another town and school starts you have to sit out the year of varsity sports. It's not an option or open to discussion. It's the rule. Now Bismarck and Minot get a competitive advantage with this rule because those kids don't leave home or school so if it doesn't work out they can go back to varsity hockey in those towns. MN has a 45 day period where you can leave and go back to the original school. If ND had a similar rule he would be at Central.  It's a terrible rule that will affect more kids coming up. KIds want to play hockey at a higher level and don't feel ND hockey gives them that option. Someone should look up just how many HS eligible kids are playing elsewhere right now. In AAA hockey alone DL has 2 for sure, WF has 3, Grafton 1-2, South 2-3 and the list goes on. If all the kids stayed ND hockey would be competitive once again. The 2 future UND kids at RR and Central will be leaving after this year and maybe Salquist will join them. Possibly the Minot D guy and one from BHS also. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, siouxperseven said:

Here's what I was told of the Nick Lund story. He was told he was on Bismarck after main camp, during training camp and would play in 1/2-3/4 games. As the season progressed he played in 1/11 games but since he was still a senior had the opportunity to play in EGF and decided to go that route to actually play. ND has a rule that once you are living in another town and school starts you have to sit out the year of varsity sports. It's not an option or open to discussion. It's the rule. Now Bismarck and Minot get a competitive advantage with this rule because those kids don't leave home or school so if it doesn't work out they can go back to varsity hockey in those towns. MN has a 45 day period where you can leave and go back to the original school. If ND had a similar rule he would be at Central.  It's a terrible rule that will affect more kids coming up. KIds want to play hockey at a higher level and don't feel ND hockey gives them that option. Someone should look up just how many HS eligible kids are playing elsewhere right now. In AAA hockey alone DL has 2 for sure, WF has 3, Grafton 1-2, South 2-3 and the list goes on. If all the kids stayed ND hockey would be competitive once again. The 2 future UND kids at RR and Central will be leaving after this year and maybe Salquist will join them. Possibly the Minot D guy and one from BHS also. 

Who's the other DL kid, besides Cole Thompson?

7 hours ago, fightingsioux4life said:

Oh, okay, I get it now.

Yeah, i'm sure you can find insufferable fans in all fanbases.

13 hours ago, fightingsioux4life said:

Oh, okay, I get it now.

I have ended up sitting in front of crazy spoiler yeller lady at the state tournament a time or two.....she is so intense.....lol.  

It has been unique not seeing them at the state tournament.  Some of the best moments at the state tournament at the old Ralph was GPR vs. RR or Central with the entire south end of the arena filled with GPR fans. 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, darell1976 said:

http://www.ndhighschoolhockey.com/

So everyone can keep up on the season.  Besides the Davies game, every game Central has played has been a blowout. I hope that momentum continues into the tournament in two months. 

No updates on the games from tonight so far. Anyone know how the GFC vs South/Shanley game went? Only score I have heard so far is DL over WF 8-2. 

7 minutes ago, sioux rube said:

GFC 6 South/Shanley 0

Davies 4 Jmst 1

Thanks. 

Man, central is tough! 

Looking more and more like I had too high of hopes for Jamestown. Tough loss there to a good Davies team but I thought it would have been closer. 

DL is still rolling. I plan to watch them play RR on Thursday. That should be a good match up! 

Hopefully century didn't beat HB by 20+ tonight. 

5 minutes ago, OgieOgilthorpe said:

Thanks. 

Man, central is tough! 

Looking more and more like I had too high of hopes for Jamestown. Tough loss there to a good Davies team but I thought it would have been closer. 

DL is still rolling. I plan to watch them play RR on Thursday. That should be a good match up! 

Hopefully century didn't beat HB by 20+ tonight. 

Century 11 HB 0