SiouxSports.com Forum

Regional Tickets

franchise

58 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

The date of the Winnipeg game was announced a year ahead of time (though the opponent changed), so there was more than enough lead time to get a passport. The schedule with the actual opponent was announced 5-6 months ahead of time, so even then, there was more than enough time. My point was that a destination game, played in an NHL arena, 3-4 hours from the main part of UND's fan base barely drew 7,000 and that number actually includes a fair amount of fans that weren't necessarily supporters of either team because Canadians love hockey (unlike MSG which appeared to have very few neutral observers).

But your point about passports is what I was alluding to, obstacles lessen demand. For Winnipeg, it was a passport. For Sioux Falls vs. Fargo it is having to commit a whole weekend (including travel/lodging/etc) instead of a just an afternoon or evening for people. I'm sure it would still be successful and probably the best attended regional. I just doubt you'd sell out the place because the overall demand would be lower than Fargo is due to proximity and convenience. And again, other than being able to offer more tickets (which UND gets little to none of the proceeds), are there any other advantages for UND to hosting in Sioux Falls vs. Fargo?

I'm guessing that UND must see some benefit if they are bidding Sioux Falls. Perhaps the benefit is that they think the NCAA won't put a regional in the same place two years in a row, so they can bid on a different place every year. 

2 hours ago, keikla said:

This is a great reason to try bidding with Sioux Falls on an alternate year.  Even the NCAA darlings of Worcester, Providence, and Manchester only host every other year.

Sioux Falls or Fargo every year! No more Xcel Energy Center! Who couldnt want that. :lol:

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

17 minutes ago, Cratter said:

Sioux Falls or Fargo every year! No more Xcel Energy Center! Who couldnt want that. :lol:

Maybe it's spreading the fan bases too thin, but having the "Midwest" regional at the X and the "West" regional in Fargo or Sioux Falls would be ideal.  UND as host saves whichever location they bid, Minnesota as host won't make the tournament, but they can always throw some combination of Duluth, SCSU, Mankato to the Xcel and it won't be as bad as the typical Midwest regional.

Doesn't matter where they put that Midwest regional, it's always abysmal attendance wise.  Cinci, Toledo, Grand Rapids, it matters not which teams qualify, no one goes.  The committee has bent over backwards to make sure Notre Dame, Miami, or Michigan is placed in those cities and attendance is only nominally up in those years.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

On 12/8/2016 at 4:46 PM, Siouxman said:

Need to think outside the box a bit.  It would be a great marketing opportunity for NCAA hockey.  Better than just a single game exhibition match.  It would feature some of the best 16 teams in college hockey.  I know it is a tremendous stretch for the NCAA to consider it, but it would be a bigger arena, draw a good UND crowd, plus draw some Canadian fans and players to watch.  And, it should earn the NCAA more money.

Canadians would go that is for sure.

21 hours ago, jdub27 said:

The date of the Winnipeg game was announced a year ahead of time (though the opponent changed), so there was more than enough lead time to get a passport. The schedule with the actual opponent was announced 5-6 months ahead of time, so even then, there was more than enough time. My point was that a destination game, played in an NHL arena, 3-4 hours from the main part of UND's fan base barely drew 7,000 and that number actually includes a fair amount of fans that weren't necessarily supporters of either team because Canadians love hockey (unlike MSG which appeared to have very few neutral observers).

But your point about passports is what I was alluding to, obstacles lessen demand. For Winnipeg, it was a passport. For Sioux Falls vs. Fargo it is having to commit a whole weekend (including travel/lodging/etc) instead of a just an afternoon or evening for people. I'm sure it would still be successful and probably the best attended regional. I just doubt you'd sell out the place because the overall demand would be lower than Fargo is due to proximity and convenience. And again, other than being able to offer more tickets (which UND gets little to none of the proceeds), are there any other advantages for UND to hosting in Sioux Falls vs. Fargo?

I just realized the biggest negative about Winnipeg.  Canada does not tolerate people with DWI or other alcohol related offenses crossing their border.  That might eliminate quite a few UND hockey fans.  :0

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

45 minutes ago, keikla said:

I've literally looked at this word for word three times and don't see what you changed haha

I thought NCAA teams (of all sports) were only allowed to go to a foreign country once every 4 years.  I know that was the rule back when Mavi was the coach of the UND S/D team, because they did their winter training in Brazil every 4 years (where Mavi was from).  But UND played in Winnipeg in 2012 and again in British Columbia in 2014, so maybe Canada is exempt from the 4 year rule.  Either way, there's no chance the NCAA puts a regional in Canada.

Can play other NCAA teams in Canada, but if you play Canadian teams in Canada it involves the 4 year rule.

On 12/10/2016 at 5:43 PM, keikla said:

I've literally looked at this word for word three times and don't see what you changed haha

I thought NCAA teams (of all sports) were only allowed to go to a foreign country once every 4 years.  I know that was the rule back when Mavi was the coach of the UND S/D team, because they did their winter training in Brazil every 4 years (where Mavi was from).  But UND played in Winnipeg in 2012 and again in British Columbia in 2014, so maybe Canada is exempt from the 4 year rule.  Either way, there's no chance the NCAA puts a regional in Canada.

Call it what you want, this time around the acronym behind it was F**k your post. :)

• 2 months later...

FYI: Limited West Region SRO tickets go on sale Friday

The University of North Dakota announced today that a limited number of 2017 NCAA Division I Men’s Ice Hockey West Regional ticket packages will go on sale to the public on

Friday, March 10 at 2 p.m. Central

The ticket packages are standing room-only behind the north goal of SCHEELS Arena and are priced at $94. Reserved seats are not assigned to these tickets. Tickets can be purchased online only at the following link. In-person sales will not be conducted.

1 minute ago, ringneck28 said:

Its SRO, i'll pass. 

Yeah Ill try for it as well but prob wont have much luck. I find it interesting they just found a way to "release" a few extra the weekend before the sioux play where they might make it and host. GO SIOUX big weekend boys!

9 minutes ago, Kooshnitz said:

Yeah im sure its likely only about 20 tickets which thousands of people will trying for. Vikings have a better shot at winning a super bowl than getting tickets...

And @SWSiouxMN has a better chance landing a date with Scarlett Johansson and Katy Perry in successive nights...however that's just a Tuesday and Wednesday for @The Sicatoka! :)

22 minutes ago, Kooshnitz said:

Yeah Ill try for it as well but prob wont have much luck. I find it interesting they just found a way to "release" a few extra the weekend before the sioux play where they might make it and host. GO SIOUX big weekend boys!

Not sure the time frame, but UND released the same tickets last time too...except it wasn't online only. Sold out in one second. Just like Vegas.

2 minutes ago, Cratter said:

Not sure the time frame, but UND released the same tickets last time too...except it wasn't online only. Sold out in one second. Just like Vegas.

Yeah. I think they sold tickets at the Box Office at Scheels last time and starting selling them about 15 minutes early so that by the time the on-line people got on they were all gone. Looks like on-line only this time.

4 minutes ago, petey23 said:

Yeah. I think they sold tickets at the Box Office at Scheels last time and starting selling them about 15 minutes early so that by the time the on-line people got on they were all gone. Looks like on-line only this time.

Those were the regular seats that were released to the public ^^^.  IDK what this special SRO release is about.