SiouxSports.com Forum

2017 Season

F'n Hawks

1 hour ago, geaux_sioux said:

There's no reason to not compete. The teams we're playing aren't that good. Sac St is not good, we need to win that game no matter who is playing.

I agree completely.  If we were competing in these games the way I fell like we should be able to, we would not be 2-6.  No excuse to lose to Sac St with a 4th string qb, Montana tried keeping us in the game the entire 1st half, and we should have beaten Montana State too IMO even with the injuries.  The South Dakota game is a summary of the season, we were missing a few key players, but not we were not mentally ready to play, had a poor game plan and nobody ever stepped up to make a key play.

3 minutes ago, Sioux94 said:

Sac didn't blow us out.  If they didn't get the fumble and returned it for a TD, and we didn't get a FG blocked maybe we win.  Montana was a blow out, but that was based upon an epic moronic coaching decision to not play a QB the entire first half of the game.  If Z was in that game from the get go.....not saying we win but may very well have been competitive going into the 4th quarter.   Also....we did beat UNC, man.....what must UNC fans be thinking if they got beat by us when they were healthy.  

The facts are we have lost games a good program does not lose, injuries or not. Blown out by USD, Cal-Davis, and Montana.  There is zero excuse for getting blown out by anyone.

19 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

Half the time Bennett and Wilson are on skates because they aren't strong enough. They have good speed and agility but they don't help us much against the run. Stats on a bad defense are misleading. Those two need to be above 250lbs.

Agreed they need that extra 15 lbs for sure, however for a pass rush I think they are a great tandem.Speed and Skill can beat size and strength any day for passing defence, just ask Dwight Freeney. I hope all these guys get in the Gym and have a proper meal plan for the off season!

18 minutes ago, Great white said:

Agreed they need that extra 15 lbs for sure, however for a pass rush I think they are a great tandem.Speed and Skill can beat size and strength any day for passing defence, just ask Dwight Freeney. I hope all these guys get in the Gym and have a proper meal plan for the off season!

Freeney is 6'1" 268 lbs. Both our guys are taller than him and about 40 lbs lighter. Noah Johnson last season was our best DE and he was 6'2" 270.

13 minutes ago, UND1983 said:

The 360 guys addressing things....a few interesting thoughts in there.

http://kfgo.com/blogs/und-football-360/30670/und-football-how-we-see-things/

I agree with most all of what they had to say.  The snowball effect of having so many ILB's and DB's out is truly that....a snowball effect.  The difference between winning and losing is often small things and we just aren't able to get those small things done this year with youth and inexperienced guys forced in to action all over the place.   When the other team can just chuck it up against our true freshman DB and complete it for big chunks every time, and gash us up the middle due to no size and experience....it sucks.  I agree seems like the DL hasn't done much this year, a few of these guys are seniors.....do you really think they are half ass'ing it and not trying during the game?  I personally don't think so, and it has more to do with the injuries behind them and maybe how the defense has to be called now.  I get as pissed off as anybody in the heat of the moment during games when we are getting beat, especially when we are getting beaten badly.  However come Sunday and Monday I am more realistic and realize the situation we are in this year with injuries.  Some will say that I don't have high enough expectations, I do have high expectations.....I just live in reality. 

They do however seem to stand by Rudy, which I previously wasn't fully on board with the fire Rudy thing coming into the season but after watching him seemingly not able to adjust to the players we have and not come up with anything very original I'm on board for moving on from him.  

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Sioux94 said:

I agree with most all of what they had to say.  The snowball effect of having so many ILB's and DB's out is truly that....a snowball effect.  The difference between winning and losing is often small things and we just aren't able to get those small things done this year with youth and inexperienced guys forced in to action all over the place.   When the other team can just chuck it up against our true freshman DB and complete it for big chunks every time, and gash us up the middle due to no size and experience....it sucks.  I agree seems like the DL hasn't done much this year, a few of these guys are seniors.....do you really think they are half ass'ing it and not trying during the game?  I personally don't think so, and it has more to do with the injuries behind them and maybe how the defense has to be called now.  I get as pissed off as anybody in the heat of the moment during games when we are getting beat, especially when we are getting beaten badly.  However come Sunday and Monday I am more realistic and realize the situation we are in this year with injuries.  Some will say that I don't have high enough expectations, I do have high expectations.....I just live in reality. 

They do however seem to stand by Rudy, which I previously wasn't fully on board with the fire Rudy thing coming into the season but after watching him seemingly not able to adjust to the players we have and not come up with anything very original I'm on board for moving on from him.  

On the DL, what bothers me is they are getting zero push. They're on skates more often than not. They're too experienced for that to happen. But they also all need to get much bigger and stronger across the board for next year. 

6 hours ago, fightingsioux4life said:

And honestly, I think the Frisco talk was a little premature even before the injuries. I certainly wanted to make the playoffs again. And this time win at least one (maybe even two) games.

I don't think a lot of people expected to go to Frisco this year, especially since the road would probably be through Fargo.  HOWEVER, I think we all expected a first round bye in the playoffs and then probably one victory.   Not unreasonable at all.

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, UND1983 said:

The 360 guys addressing things....a few interesting thoughts in there.

http://kfgo.com/blogs/und-football-360/30670/und-football-how-we-see-things/

I completely agree with the defensive analysis. Yes, the injuries at LB, S, and Corner have thinned the defense out tremendously, and as much as we want to criticize Rudiolph and the offense, the defense is actually the most porous unit. 

With that said, the offense needs to be opened up this season considering the defensive issues. Unfortunately, the offense is still a replica of last year's conservative offense (2016 had a competent defense to go with it; although the pass defense was a work in progress even last year - their play cost UND the playoff game in the waning seconds). Rudolph has failed to implement more diverse personnel groupings with Santiago, Oliveira, and Johannesson, and include screens, back shoulder fades, and quick TE play passes. No attempt to implement some tempo either, which could help out the QB play.

Nevertheless, there is plenty of blame to go around beyond just the injuries. The coaches can improvise and they obviously haven't given the pathetic 2-6 record.  Yuck. 

10 hours ago, fightingsioux4life said:

And honestly, I think the Frisco talk was a little premature even before the injuries. I certainly wanted to make the playoffs again. And this time win at least one (maybe even two) games.

You can think what you want, but a top 10 FCS team should at least be in the conversation in my opinion. That much is not too much to ask for. 

This is apart of the lowly expectations that non-hockey sports get at UND. You can pull out excuses all you want, but it's been a problem for some time and it continues to be an issue. Until supporters think UND can do great things in football, it won't happen. Fundraising and attendance goes a long, long way. UND supporters need to head the charge.

Unfortunately, UND people spend more time justifying poor play then advocating for better play, with the exception being the hockey crowd. That desperately needs improvement. 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

21 hours ago, geaux_sioux said:

Freeney is 6'1" 268 lbs. Both our guys are taller than him and about 40 lbs lighter. Noah Johnson last season was our best DE and he was 6'2" 270.

Von Miller played his Freshman year at 220 lbs, currently 250 lbs and 6'3", Undersized Ends can and do succeed in being some of the best pass rushers.  Maybe need to go to 4 down lineman or even 5-3 at times??

3 minutes ago, Great white said:

Von Miller played his Freshman year at 220 lbs, currently 250 lbs and 6'3", Undersized Ends can and do succeed in being some of the best pass rushers.  Maybe need to go to 4 down lineman or even 5-3 at times??

Even still. Our DL aren’t holding up against the run. They are getting zero push more often than not. They need to get stronger. 

59 minutes ago, Great white said:

Von Miller was a 4-star recruit and had offers from A&M, Oklahoma, Ole Miss and Florida. He has a little more natural ability than the guys UND (and other FCS schools) recruit and take a few years to develop.

• Like 1

On 10/24/2017 at 12:36 PM, jdub27 said:

Von Miller was a 4-star recruit and had offers from A&M, Oklahoma, Ole Miss and Florida. He has a little more natural ability than the guys UND (and other FCS schools) recruit and take a few years to develop.

The point a few were trying to make is that he took a few years to develop into the player he became. We can't always expect these students to come in at 220lbs and be 250-270 in 2 years, that is not healthy weight gain. Johnson was our largest D end last year and if Bennett keeps his pace he will have comparable stats as a Sophomore, wilson just behind and these kids get maybe 25% of the reps.  This year Ceislack is our biggest D-end and seems to have a hard time making plays according to our stats.  Does size really equate to better players? Is our system flawed with the personnel we have, our secondary is decimated and maybe this is the issue with the D.

Last year Tank had total of 28 points and 1.5 TFL totalling 5 yards and half a sack, this year he is at 23 points4TFL total 11 yards. Has loosing his 20-30 lbs in offseason really hurt him? He seems faster and more athletic. 270-320 lb lineman are great for a 4 man front designed to stop the run for sure but not for a go get 'em defines like we have in place and were successful with last year. Remember how proud we all were last year of our Defence? The scheme and size of D-line has not changed dramatically.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Great white said:

The point a few were trying to make is that he took a few years to develop into the player he became. We can't always expect these students to come in at 220lbs and be 250-270 in 2 years, that is not healthy weight gain. Johnson was our largest D end last year and if Bennett keeps his pace he will have comparable stats as a Sophomore, wilson just behind and these kids get maybe 25% of the reps.  This year Ceislack is our biggest D-end and seems to have a hard time making plays according to our stats.  Does size really equate to better players? Is our system flawed with the personnel we have, our secondary is decimated and maybe this is the issue with the D.

Last year Tank had total of 28 points and 1.5 TFL totalling 5 yards and half a sack, this year he is at 23 points4TFL total 11 yards. Has loosing his 20-30 lbs in offseason really hurt him? He seems faster and more athletic. 270-320 lb lineman are great for a 4 man front designed to stop the run for sure but not for a go get 'em defines like we have in place and were successful with last year. Remember how proud we all were last year of our Defence? The scheme and size of D-line has not changed dramatically.

At times last year Cieslak was dominant. Tanks job isn’t to get stats, it’s to eat blocks. Also, if you’re gonna compare stats you need to look at how many more snaps the defense is getting since they cant get off the field well.

1 hour ago, geaux_sioux said:

At times last year Cieslak was dominant. Tanks job isn’t to get stats, it’s to eat blacks. Also, if you’re gonna compare stats you need to look at how many more snaps the defense is getting since they cant get off the field well.

Haha that's a weird job!

• Upvote 2

On 10/23/2017 at 10:08 PM, UND-FB-FAN said:

You can think what you want, but a top 10 FCS team should at least be in the conversation in my opinion. That much is not too much to ask for. 

This is apart of the lowly expectations that non-hockey sports get at UND. You can pull out excuses all you want, but it's been a problem for some time and it continues to be an issue. Until supporters think UND can do great things in football, it won't happen. Fundraising and attendance goes a long, long way. UND supporters need to head the charge.

Unfortunately, UND people spend more time justifying poor play then advocating for better play, with the exception being the hockey crowd. That desperately needs improvement. 

We do not have the will to demand a consistently winning football team.  By we I mean the University, the fans, and the community.  At different times, we have spent up to 10 years streaks wandering in the wilderness before things are righted.  The fact that Rudolph is still OC convinces me of this along with our long past history.  Fargo has the Teammakers and we seem to have the Good Old Boys Club.  This season, in my opinion, has exposed serious weaknesses in recruiting, team culture, and mostly in coaching adjustments.  I am so tired of being a distant second in North Dakota, and I hope others are getting there also.  

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, geaux_sioux said:

At times last year Cieslak was dominant. Tanks job isn’t to get stats, it’s to eat blocks. Also, if you’re gonna compare stats you need to look at how many more snaps the defense is getting since they cant get off the field well.

Point being the only real measureables in this sport are numbers and stats.. Right from combines to training camp to season platypus it's all numbers and stats. No one gets credit for an almost completed pass or an almost tackle so please give some credit to what these guys have actually done! I'm tired of hearing all the banter about how you think these guys should be built or play. If we were really serious the program would have a proper nutritionist on staff and real testing for body types to assist in the daily menu choices and look for patterns of food reactions that are detrimental. Let's see what happens next year when all are healthy and we compete properly.

52 minutes ago, Great white said:

Point being the only real measureables in this sport are numbers and stats.. Right from combines to training camp to season platypus it's all numbers and stats. No one gets credit for an almost completed pass or an almost tackle so please give some credit to what these guys have actually done! I'm tired of hearing all the banter about how you think these guys should be built or play. If we were really serious the program would have a proper nutritionist on staff and real testing for body types to assist in the daily menu choices and look for patterns of food reactions that are detrimental. Let's see what happens next year when all are healthy and we compete properly.

I guarantee Wilson and Bennett would be more effective if they were 250. Not unreasonable to ask of soph DEs.

On 10/23/2017 at 10:08 PM, UND-FB-FAN said:

Really? I am an "excuse maker"? Four years ago, I penned this epic venting of frustration over our lack of success in Division I athletics. I meant every word then. And I still mean every word now.

And up until this season, Bubba and company were making steady progress. From 3-8 in Mussman's final season, to 5-7 to 7-4 to 9-3. This season has been an unmitigated disaster on all fronts, but to call for regime change and declare the program as being back to what it was in 2013 is a gross overreaction.

And you conveniently ignored part of this comment, in which I wrote: "That said, if this happens next year without the injuries and there are more drug busts and whatever else, then I will start asking some tough questions. I do hope Bubba replaces Rudolph as OC (he has talent that he is just not using) and perhaps the special teams coach as well. If he doesn't, then I also will ask questions about that too."

If we have a healthy team in 2018 and the season plays out like this one, then I will be in your camp asking tough questions. But I think we will bounce back next season and be back in the playoff mix. Only time will tell which one of us is right.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Well, there's no question that after this horrid season changes need to be made. Bubba needs to replace his coordinators and some coaches; if not all three coordinators (Schmidt won't go anywhere), then at least two of them. A season of this ineptitude absolutely justifies that, particularly considering the preseason expectations and current time-point within the Bubba regime (this is year 4, not 1 or 2).  

Secondly, strength & conditioning and sports medicine needs to be reassessed. The techniques of the staff needs to be at least improved so players can be better prepared to make it through an entire football season. It can be done - look around the country.

If Bubba is genuine and truthfully wants UND football to consistently be a top FCS program, then he will make some necessary changes after this disaster of a season. 

• Upvote 1