SiouxSports.com Forum

2017 Season

F'n Hawks

5 minutes ago, Sioux04 said:

I was there and had a 29-year coach behind me.  He couldn't have been more complimentary of Studs.  As said he had great command presence and made several plays out of nothing.  All this against a very stout Ute d-line.  They had one sack, I believe.  They could have had about five.

Their sack was of Heidelbaugh. Studs was never sacked.

On 9/2/2017 at 2:18 PM, ND1 said:

Good news is that Larson should be back at LB for the USD game 

That would be good news.  Need to build depth at lb so we can keep up pressure on qbs, he also brings some size to ilb along with donnel.  Disterhaupt played a helluva game but I noticed him catching running backs a couple of times.

2 minutes ago, Midwestern Hawk said:

That would be good news.  Need to build depth at lb so we can keep up pressure on qbs, he also brings some size to ilb along with donnel.  Disterhaupt played a helluva game but I noticed him catching running backs a couple of times.

Yea, Jake just isn't built for the inside game. He showed a lot of heart against Utah. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, RavenousUte said:

You guys really should schedule BYU before they fire their OC... -5 rushing yards and like 123 yards total offense, last week.  They never even crossed the 50 yd line with their offense.  I really think you will end up giving us the better game this year.

They looked awful vs Portland state too.  PSU was one turnover away from a win.

1 hour ago, RavenousUte said:

You guys really should schedule BYU before they fire their OC... -5 rushing yards and like 123 yards total offense, last week.  They never even crossed the 50 yd line with their offense.  I really think you will end up giving us the better game this year.

BYU is favored.  :0

One other note about Studsrud's stats was that there were waaaaay too many drops where he hit a receiver in the hands and they flat out dropped them. Receivers need to clean those up as many of those completions would have kept drives alive. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Just now, 77iceman said:

He was playing ilb like an olb.  Many of those tackles were down field or by the sideline.  

Yeah, Donnell Rodgers is the only true starting ILB on roster. Need true freshman (hard to say, I know) Larson; at least the inside should be solidified for the next couple seasons once Larson gets his feet under him due to some live game experience. 

4 minutes ago, 77iceman said:

Then again....an ilb shouldn't need to be the one making tackles down field or by the sideline.  His style of play saved what could've been some hefty gains.  

that defense will be fine this season

This is exactly what I noticed. Jake will be fine. I will reserve judgement until after this Saturday. 

Utah's young QB is playing for a reason...he's going to be a stud and his movement alone was enough to throw off some of our defensive game plan. 

On 9/4/2017 at 1:08 PM, Bison06 said:

At the risk of sounding like a "hater" or a wet blanket, I've been seeing a lot of posts this week heaping praise on Studsrud for his performance in the Utah game. For the record, I was only able to follow the game on my phone and didn't see him play, but can someone explain to me what about his performance in this game impressed you. Looking at his stat line, he performed well below his season averages from a year ago which was a season that most UND fans felt Studsrud needed to improve upon this year for UND to be successful. As I said, I didn't see the game, but I'm slightly confused as to why his game Thursday night is being viewed as an obvious positive. 

http://www.foxsports.com/college-football/keaton-studsrud-player-stats

Lots of compliments about him from the Utah fans as we were leaving the stadium. They were impressed with his ability to move, and his decision-making. He didn't look to be at all fazed by being in that environment. We should have thrown more. Our "3-yd and a cloud of dust" offense wasn't getting us anywhere close 3 yards on most plays. Just couldn't get a good push up front - the Utes Dline was as advertised. Meanwhile, the middle of the field was open for tight ends and crossing routes. Do we have tight ends? Oh yeah, one scored our only TD.... ???

5 minutes ago, Midwestern Hawk said:

Do we know which frosh have had their shirts pulled for sure at this point?  I have heard Shannon, Bluebaugh and Adeotti.  Is that it?  Any other possibilities?

Currently, yes, I think if Larson is good to go by USD then it's almost a certainty he will too. The question is if he's not, how long until it's not worth burning a year?