SiouxSports.com Forum

2017 Season

F'n Hawks

17 minutes ago, Longtime fan said:

Mississippi st is fbs.  They reside in the sec 

Unique question.  

My mistake.  What level is Mississippi Valley State?    I watched them and their level of play  was not good.    Are they a relatively new program?

Just now, Risky said:

My mistake.  What level is Mississippi Valley State?    I watched them and their level of play  was not good.    Are they a relatively new program?

Probably the worst FCS team in Division 1. We unfortunately get them at the alerus next year 

1 minute ago, Risky said:

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, ND1 said:

Probably the worst FCS team in Division 1. We unfortunately get them at the alerus next year 

Where did you see UND has them next year.....all I see for next years schedule is Washington and Sam Houston

24 minutes ago, ND1 said:

11 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Eastern Washington lost 56-10 to Texas Tech. That is lopsided to say the least. I think Eastern will be down this season (lost too much in terms of coaches AND players); UND needs to take advantage and win the Big Sky Conference outright. 

I was hoping EWU would beat NDSU next weekend, but that game likely won't even be close.  I'm guessing it's NDSU by 20 or maybe more.  If EWU could only score 10 points against Texas Tech....ouch.   I wish we would have played EWU at the beginning of the season when they were still trying to figure things out, that said I think we will still beat them at the end of the season.  In my opinion UND and NAU are the front runners for the Big Sky Championship right now based upon scores and what I've seen.  Portland State may have a say in how things turn out as well, and upset a few good teams.   Either way it will be nice to see both EWU and Montana get some losses this year.  

On 9/2/2017 at 7:23 PM, homer said:

Next two games are huge.  USD offense looks very good.  Strevler is such a good athlete.  

Next week vs Missouri St will not be a give me game.  Crowd noise will be big.  

South Dakota game scares me.  Our offense has got to be on the field a lot.  Pound the ball....pound the ball.....

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

South Dakota game scares me.  Our offense has got to be on the field a lot.  Pound the ball....pound the ball.....

Everybody on the schedule scares me if we can't pound the rock and control the game.  Defensively much of lb and db crew is green and/or thin.  Need to keep them on sideline til a little more seasoned.

1 minute ago, Midwestern Hawk said:

Everybody on the schedule scares me if we can't pound the rock and control the game.  Defensively much of lb and db crew is green and/or thin.  Need to keep them on sideline til a little more seasoned.

I think Studsrud can put up points for UND if given the opportunity. It was ugly in Salt Lake City offensively for UND but, in the end, Studsrud looked quite good. Just have to open up the playbook and give him the opportunity. Fortunately, UND won't play a better defensive line during the regular season than what Utah put out there on the field. 

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

Rice-Eccles Stadium vs. DakotaDome...

Utah's defensive front versus South Dakota's defensive front...

I definitely think South Dakota has an above average FCS team, but, with that said, they aren't Utah. UND should be able to handle the away environment and run the football. It will still be a tough, close game but I expect UND to pull it out. 

As for USD's offense, UND's defense will have their hands full. Need to force USD and Streveler into mistakes. 

For now, I'm just hoping for UND's defense to slow down Missouri State's offense after their impressive showing against Missouri. 

14 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

I think Studsrud can put up points for UND if given the opportunity. It was ugly in Salt Lake City offensively for UND but, in the end, Studsrud looked quite good. Just have to open up the playbook and give him the opportunity. Fortunately, UND won't play a better defensive line during the regular season than what Utah put out there on the field. 

At the risk of sounding like a "hater" or a wet blanket, I've been seeing a lot of posts this week heaping praise on Studsrud for his performance in the Utah game. For the record, I was only able to follow the game on my phone and didn't see him play, but can someone explain to me what about his performance in this game impressed you. Looking at his stat line, he performed well below his season averages from a year ago which was a season that most UND fans felt Studsrud needed to improve upon this year for UND to be successful. As I said, I didn't see the game, but I'm slightly confused as to why his game Thursday night is being viewed as an obvious positive. 

http://www.foxsports.com/college-football/keaton-studsrud-player-stats

16 minutes ago, Bison06 said:

At the risk of sounding like a "hater" or a wet blanket, I've been seeing a lot of posts this week heaping praise on Studsrud for his performance in the Utah game. For the record, I was only able to follow the game on my phone and didn't see him play, but can someone explain to me what about his performance in this game impressed you. Looking at his stat line, he performed well below his season averages from a year ago which was a season that most UND fans felt Studsrud needed to improve upon this year for UND to be successful. As I said, I didn't see the game, but I'm slightly confused as to why his game Thursday night is being viewed as an obvious positive. 

Bought a lot of time with his feet, limited mistakes (interception was a drop/tip off his targeted receiver), made some nice throws, and showed good composure/control at the line of scrimmage (expected out of 4th Year starter). Ute fans were impressed also. He just looks the part out there. Offense is very predictable, though, which is always hard on a QB.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Bought a lot of time with his feet, limited mistakes (interception was a drop/tip off his targeted receiver), made some nice throws, and showed good composure/control at the line of scrimmage (expected out of 4th Year starter). Ute fans were impressed also. He just looks the part out there. Offense is very predictable, though, which is always hard on a QB.

Stats definitely don't tell the entire story every time, I figured it was something that wasn't showing up in the stat line that impressed a lot of people who watched the game.

17 minutes ago, Bison06 said:

He made something out of nothing quite a few times and took a few big hits. I think it was more about his poise than his stats. Two plays he made that ended with long completions were what made the biggest impression in my mind. He evaded their rush a bunch of times also. 

I was there and had a 29-year coach behind me.  He couldn't have been more complimentary of Studs.  As said he had great command presence and made several plays out of nothing.  All this against a very stout Ute d-line.  They had one sack, I believe.  They could have had about five.