SiouxSports.com Forum

2017 Season

F'n Hawks

11 hours ago, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

UND also has the chalenge on it's website - undsports.com

2017 Challenge Series
Date -- Matchup (TV)
Sept. 9 -- #2 North Dakota State at #5 Eastern Washington, 4 pm ET (SWX/NBC ND/ESPN3)
Sept. 9 -- #23 Cal Poly at #18 UNI, 5 pm ET (Panther Sports Network/ESPN3)
Sept. 9 -- #4 South Dakota State at Montana State, 8 pm ET (SWX/Pluto TV/Altitude 2)
Sept. 9 -- #25 Western Illinois at Northern Arizona, Time TBD (NAU-TV AZ/Pluto TV)
Sept. 9 -- Missouri State at #8 North Dakota, 5 pm ET (Midco Sports Network/Pluto TV)
Sept. 16 -- #8 North Dakota at South Dakota, 3 pm ET (Midco Sports Network/ESPN3)
Sept. 16 -- #18 UNI at Southern Utah, 8 pm ET (Pluto TV)
Oct. 7 -- #20 Illinois State at Northern Arizona, Time TBD (NAU-TV AZ/Pluto TV)
*Networks and streaming subject to change

So if the seeding holds true the MVFS goes 6-3, not seeing that they will. But then again UNI could go 0-2 and still move up the polls. 

Been watching some games from last year and two years ago and two things stuck out to me. First, man would it have been nice to have Clive Georges for all of last year. He was such a playmaker and deep ball threat that it could have certainly helped the offense. Second, the offensive line needs to look back two years ago and look at the kind of holes they were able to open and the result (all of those long runs by Santiago and Oliviera). The big play last year was sadly lacking and not due to anything changing with the running backs but the fact that the line failed to open the lanes to the second and third level. 

1 hour ago, Feff said:

Second, the offensive line needs to look back two years ago and look at the kind of holes they were able to open and the result (all of those long runs by Santiago and Oliviera). The big play last year was sadly lacking and not due to anything changing with the running backs but the fact that the line failed to open the lanes to the second and third level. 

What are everybody's honest thoughts about the OL this year?  Last you'd have to say our OL was average, and from that average OL we lost the best one who was good enough to get some looks from scouts.  We did have a number of injuries last year that is for sure , which didn't help.   So is one more year of experience for the other guys and also being healthy and having more depth, going to be enough to overcome the loss of our best lineman to not only be as good as last year, but better?   I'm sure hoping having more depth and more experience allows our OL to take a step forward this year.  But given we have the same guys as last year, minus one, what really is our peak potential?  On a scale of 1 - 10 is 7 really about all we can expect out of the OL this year?  And I'm not saying 7 is horrible, it's above average.   Overall our RB's as a group I'd say would be about a10 or as close to it as you can get, they just need a few holes so if our OL is at least a 7 we can probably make some hay with that.  If our OL can surpass expectations and get to an 8 this year......our offense will be rolling! 

The line will have more experience, will be returning Cox from injury which should help, and have much more depth coming behind to push them and help to keep injuries from hurting us too badly. Everyone will have another year of strength training as well. We should, should, have a better line than last year even with losing Coe. If they can get back to the the 2015 level or above, this offense will be fun to watch. If they are like a repeat of last year than we'll be seeing a number of close games like last year. 

11 minutes ago, Feff said:

The line will have more experience, will be returning Cox from injury which should help, and have much more depth coming behind to push them and help to keep injuries from hurting us too badly. Everyone will have another year of strength training as well. We should, should, have a better line than last year even with losing Coe. If they can get back to the the 2015 level or above, this offense will be fun to watch. If they are like a repeat of last year than we'll be seeing a number of close games like last year. 

I agree, the coaches I have spoken to all agree the o-line is better than last year. Combine that with studs and the triple threat in the back field, this could  be a very fun year to watch! 

• Like 2

The depth will be much improved over last year. It's an experienced bunch, but what's exciting is we have legitimate battles going on for starting spots. What's the most exciting of all, is a lot are coming from the RS freshman class. Sounds like Rooney (So) is a lock at center, Taylor (Jr) at RG and Cox (Sr) at RT, Tobin (FR) is pushing Bell (SR) hard at LG and Stockwell (SR) is being pushed by Mortel (FR) and Bennett (FR) at LT. We have Blair (So) who started a few games at RT backing up Cox, Aplin (JR) who started 8 games last year at either guard or center. Miller (SR) has experience starting at one point and played a lot last year. Add Nygon and Russo also to the list. 

Breaking it down to class and position, I think I'm more excited about the potential of the FR O-Line class than any other on the team. The O-Line will be improved this year, but should be outstanding for years to come. 

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, UNDColorado said:

Freshman burner's will not redshirt:

http://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/4315497-und-will-pull-redshirt-freshman-wide-receiver#.WZtPXpwBHr8.twitter

I like this move, we need his quickness and it should help stretch the field. We faced a lot of stacked boxes early last season.

Absolutely!  And sounds like he's had a great fall camp, seemed like he was in nearly every one of Teeder's updates so this seemed to be a no brainer as we needed at least one burner.  Sounds like he is a smart, quiet, and hard working kid......hope he makes some big plays right away in game 1!

11 minutes ago, Sioux94 said:

Absolutely!  And sounds like he's had a great fall camp, seemed like he was in nearly every one of Teeder's updates so this seemed to be a no brainer as we needed at least one burner.  Sounds like he is a smart, quiet, and hard working kid......hope he makes some big plays right away in game 1!

If he can stretch the field like I hope, we should not see eight in the box stacked against us too much this season!

55 minutes ago, Sioux94 said:

I talked to Bubba about Izzy a few days ago, they really like his talent and speed but are most impressed with his ability to learn!

1 hour ago, siouxfan512 said:

Anyone else a little peeved that the roster and pictures on the UND sports website for football are not updated yet?

Ya, wonder what's up. Would assume the 2 deep will be coming out in the next few days, hoping. 

1 hour ago, PATRIOT said:

2017 Football Media Guide is posted on the UND Football page...

Whoever is in charge of this needs to have some pride. The years and weights for players change from roster to two deep in more than a few spots. They also have Bubba listed as in his second year right next to the picture on his profile. These are just a few of the things I noticed. 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, fightingsioux08 said:

It's my first year having football season tickets and I haven't received them yet. Is that normal?  Who do I contact to see when they are coming?  The ralph?

They've been going out last week and this week, so you should see them soon. Contact either box office if you want, at the Ralph or the alerus

11 hours ago, geaux_sioux said:

Whoever is in charge of this needs to have some pride. The years and weights for players change from roster to two deep in more than a few spots. They also have Bubba listed as in his second year right next to the picture on his profile. These are just a few of the things I noticed. 

Apparently they do have pride and have already made the corrections. Apologies to Ryan Powell and staff.

10 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

Apparently they do have pride and have already made the corrections. Apologies to Ryan Powell and staff.

Wow this is one of the first posts I have seen on this forum past 6pm CST.  I was starting to wonder if they turned off the internet at 6pm in ND. :lol: