SiouxSports.com Forum

2017 Season

F'n Hawks

35 minutes ago, siouxfan512 said:

I would be baffled if he went to Minot State to play football. What would the point be? If he supposedly is dealing with personal issues, then what is the difference between committing to football in Minot or Grand Forks? Either way, it takes time, effort and commitment.

I'm sure the kid is going through things, and I wouldn't want to second guess that. But, it also sounds like he just isn't that motivated by football to want to commit to the time and work. And if that is the case, that is fine too, college sports are not for everyone. I considered sports in college and then decided it wasn't for me either. So long as he understands most kids don't get a second chance, and there won't be a third.

Free Education and less demands playing D2 Football rather than D1.

5 minutes ago, Midwestern Hawk said:

Hopefully the team is better at moving on from Grady's drama than this forum.

Actually, I think most people are fine with it. Seemed more to be a building level of curiosity as to what was going on; excitement he was coming back, then rumors, then he is a no show. More irritating and frustrating than anything to have a kid with potential give up on his second chance, and you have to imagine it burns the the coaches a bit.

Regardless, we have some big young talent ready to step in. Going to be fun. I think the O line will be better this year, and really primed for next year, when 2 of our studs are seniors.

Anyone know what the story is with Helgren? Sounded like a big get out of HS, then it sounded like he was injured last year; is he good to go? Started hearing some good things about Nguon last year too, any word on how he was in Spring football? Tobin seem to be the hot name right now out of the young guys.

53 Grant Aplin OL 6-1 300 Jr. Victoria, Minn. (Chanhassen High School)
61 Brandon Miller OL 6-5 315 Sr. Waterford, Wis. (Waterford Union High School)
62 Ryan Tobin OL 6-4 280 RFr. Muskego, Wis. (Muskego High School)
64 Wil Prine OL 6-6 255 Fr. Council Bluffs, Iowa (Lewis Central High School)
65 Demon Taylor OL 6-4 310 Jr. St. Louis, Mo. (Soldan International Studies)
66 Nathan Nguon OL 6-3 285 RFr. Burnsville, Minn. (Eagan High School)
67 Patric Rooney OL 6-3 295 So. St. Louis Park, Minn. (Benilde-St. Margaret's School)
68 Bryce Blair OL 6-4 265 So. Greenwood Village, Colo. (Cherry Creek High School)
69 Connor Kruse OL 6-6 295 Fr. Cologne, Minn. (Waconia High School)
70 Sean Russo OL 6-6 275 So. Highlands Ranch, Colo. (ThunderRidge High School)
71 Jeremy Jenkins OL 6-7 275 Fr. South Elgin, Ill. (South Elgin High School)
72 Mat Cox OL 6-5 300 Sr. Olympia, Wash. (Capital High School)
73 Bennett Helgren OL 6-5 290 RFr. Edina, Minn. (Edina High School)
74 Elijah Grady OL 6-5 295 So. New Town, N.D. (New Town High School)
75 Adam Stiner OL 6-6 280 Jr. Verona, Wis. (Verona High School)
76 Dan Bell OL 6-5 310 Sr. Menomonee Falls, Wis. (Menomonee Falls High School)
78 A.J. Stockwell OL 6-5 315 Sr. Apple Valley, Minn. (Eastview High School)
79 Noah Mortel OL 6-6 255 RFr. Luck, Wis. (Luck High School)

1 minute ago, siouxfan512 said:

Actually, I think most people are fine with it. Seemed more to be a building level of curiosity as to what was going on; excitement he was coming back, then rumors, then he is a no show. More irritating and frustrating than anything to have a kid with potential give up on his second chance, and you have to imagine it burns the the coaches a bit.

Regardless, we have some big young talent ready to step in. Going to be fun. I think the O line will be better this year, and really primed for next year, when 2 of our studs are seniors.

Anyone know what the story is with Helgren? Sounded like a big get out of HS, then it sounded like he was injured last year; is he good to go? Started hearing some good things about Nguon last year too, any word on how he was in Spring football? Tobin seem to be the hot name right now out of the young guys.

67 Patric Rooney OL 6-3 295 So. St. Louis Park, Minn. (Benilde-St. Margaret's School)
68 Bryce Blair OL 6-4 265 So. Greenwood Village, Colo. (Cherry Creek High School)

anyone know the story with Adam Stiner?  Junior that is not on the 2-deep.

5 minutes ago, siouxfan512 said:

This, done have moved on.

11 hours ago, UofUUtes said:

So this Grady guy, you all seem to be talking like he is a major impact to the team. Is this considered a big loss?

He was a big part of why Santiago had such a great year as a freshman.  Guy had a lot of potential and many here thought that he had NFL talent. 

11 hours ago, UofUUtes said:

So this Grady guy, you all seem to be talking like he is a major impact to the team. Is this considered a big loss?

There are some bro-mances that make it sound worse than it is. We won the conference last year, just saying. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, gundy1124 said:

Strength is an issue for him - 

I am pulling for these guys, good group.  8 of these guys have started games, some have started a whole lot of games.

Stockwell is locked at left tackle, Taylor at right guard, a battle will take place between Aplin, Rooney, Bell for center and left guard.  Not sure about right tackle but Cox and Blair have started games there before.  I'd say Blair if he could put some weight on.  I heard Tobin is a year away, too, from being starting caliber.  Someone will have to step up at Right tackle.

We have pretty good tight ends and Alm will see the field as a 270 lb TE.  If Norberg, Full back, is on his game at the most solid 240 I've seen I think a lot of Big Sky defenses are in for a long day.  

I think we might surprise Utah a little, not that they haven't competed against more talent, but they probably don't think we will be as close as we are to a Pac-12 team up front.

Any idea why Stanley isn't on the two-deep?

7 minutes ago, MoSiouxFan said:

No.  He's still on the roster as a junior.  Wondering if he hasn't recovered from his injury.

Sorry, he's fine.  He will be on the field.  Mixed my guys up for a second.

Matheson was on my mind, too many Lukes.

Sounds like there were a couple additions to camp.  Eli Allen, CB from Valley City and Tyrell Harris, RB from Magnolia, TX are freshmen, and DB Tykeise Johnson from Central Lakes CC is a JUCO guy.

http://www.hudl.com/profile/2947057/eli-allen

http://www.hudl.com/profile/2192695/tyrell-harris

http://www.hudl.com/profile/1843251/tykeise-johnson

20 minutes ago, Hambone said:

Sounds like there were a couple additions to camp.  Eli Allen, CB from Valley City and Tyrell Harris, RB from Magnolia, TX are freshmen, and DB Tykeise Johnson from Central Lakes CC is a JUCO guy.

Any idea if these guys are Walk Ons or Scolly?

52 minutes ago, Hambone said:

As a junior at Dickinson High, Tyrelle Harris was one of the top football players in North Dakota.  Ran a majority of their offense through him.  Family moved back to Texas as his dad is with oil. 

With the depth at RB, I'd really like to see some creativity in getting Santiago out of the backfield more and getting more catches. Having a weapon like him in the slot will really spread things out and keep the opposing D honest.

I also like the way Gordon runs, so I'd really like to see him getting the ball more this season, and hopefully it's not only because of injuries! 

• Upvote 1