SiouxSports.com Forum

2017 Season

F'n Hawks

11 Potential pieces available this year that were absent all or much of last year:

1. Cam McKinney -- elite speedster that could see return duties and open up the field at WR (i'm including Cam as returning player b/c he had spring ball).

2. Tyus Carter -- a CB with experience and skill who did not see the field after Game 3 after he opted to repair shoulder through surgery.

3. Andrew Zimmerman -- JUCO transfer at QB, with some early experience at EWU, has looked to be mobile and fairly accurate...certainly a step up at back up to push Studs.

4. Tamas Stewart -- JUCO transfer at safety. Tape shows that he could be complement to Reyes at other safety spot if injuries don't keep him off field.

5. James Johanneson -- Homegrown FBS transfer from Gopherland who was Gatorade N.D. POY 2 years in H.S., with a big frame and speed to go with it.

6. Dijon Murry -- JUCO transfer in 2016, has been plagued by injury but I have heard nothing to suggest he is not good to go in 2017. Reported 4.4 speed with size at MLB.

7. Oscar Nevermann -- former RB inured early in 2016 after sitting out 2015... switched to MLB for 2017. Has decent size and quicks. Smaller version of fellow Euro Dylan Bakker.

8. Mat Cox -- Experienced and versatile OL who was plagued by injury in 2016. 

9. Grady Train -- Need I say more?

10. Colton Hessenflow -- Technically on the roster in 2016, is a bit of an enigma at DL. I haven't seen him practice but his name stays on the roster. Hudl tape intrigues me.

11. Demun Mercer -- FBS transfer, Ok, I'm stretching here...but Demun was only starting to come on late in 2016 and it seemed he and Studs were developing good chemistry.

• Upvote 3

Having Grady back allows Mat Cox to slide inside where I think he is better.   Only question mark for me on the oline is the guard opposite Taylor, being able to throw Cox into that mix makes the competition better.  

10 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

Which seems to be the strongest unit?

1: Stockwell - Cox - Aplin - Taylor - Grady

2: Stockwell - Aplin - Rooney - Taylor - Grady

3: Stockwell - Bell - Aplin - Taylor - Grady

4: Stockwell - Grady - Aplin - Taylor - Blair

If Blair added some weight, #4 could be solid.  

I am a bit skeptical on Grady's impact early on.  He is not anywhere near football shape and has only worked out a few weeks.  

Stockwell is perpetually injured.  We need all the tackles we can get.  Cox needs to stay out at RT.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, geaux_sioux said:

I'd go with curtain no. 3, but there's going to be a lot of competition, especially for the left guard spot, from both the vets and the rookies.

2.  If Grady gets in shape.  Rooney is our best center.  

31 minutes ago, UND-1 said:

I am a bit skeptical on Grady's impact early on.  He is not anywhere near football shape and has only worked out a few weeks.  

Stockwell is perpetually injured.  We need all the tackles we can get.  Cox needs to stay out at RT.

Cox is a liability at OT. He can't hang out there.

• Upvote 1

So remind me ....Noah Larson plays today in the Wisco HS all star game.... Was this the game where Joe Schobert a few years back blew up in, and the Badgers got him to walk on ?

Here's to Noah having a very mediocre game today!

( ;

• Upvote 3

9 minutes ago, Teeder11 said:

So remind me ....Noah Larson plays today in the Wisco HS all star game.... Was this the game where Joe Schobert a few years back blew up in, and the Badgers got him to flip?

Here's to Noah having a very mediocre gsme today!

( ;

Schobert was a walk-on and technically not binded to UND.   Larson is. :)

37 minutes ago, FBAlum said:

Noah can't leave at this point unless he want to sit and lose a year of eligibility. 

Schobert was a walk-on. If we would have offered him $300 for books he would have been in the same situation. 

Shoulda paid for Joe's books, then!

No one is questioning anyone's integrity or commitment... It was simply an amusing walk down Yesteryear Lane to a time when we had the interest of another talented Wisco HS player going into the all star game. It was all steeped in jest, hence my little attempts at "winky" marks (my phone is no good with emojis on this site). 

Furthermore, it has been doubly established that the alleged parallels between the two scenarios were not actually that similar in that one was a walk-on candidate and the other is a committed recruit. 

Anyone reading anything more into this offseason musing, IMHO, might want to lighten up. 

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, geaux_sioux said:

I think 2, but a little hesitant to crown Grady as starting RT. 

Ryan Tobin has a chance to play this year.

Good to have some depth this year.

23 minutes ago, Teeder11 said:

No one is questioning anyone's integrity or commitment... It was simply an amusing walk down Yesteryear Lane to a time when we had the interest of another talented Wisco HS player going into the all star game. It was all steeped in jest, hence my little attempts at "winky" marks (my phone is no good with emojis on this site). 

Furthermore, it has been doubly established that the alleged parallels between the two scenarios were not actually that similar in that one was a walk-on candidate and the other is a committed recruit. 

Anyone reading anything more into this offseason musing, IMHO, might want to lighten up. 

Reeeaaarrrrr.  Somebody needs the season to get here! :)