SiouxSports.com Forum

2017 Season

F'n Hawks

Goon with a good analogy.  Some have done a similar comparison with hockey and used the % of total football roster.  I think Goon is closer to reality since so many football players come to school not ready for DI football and and aren't expected to play much if at all in a given season.    As a % of those counted on to play a large role on the team this is pretty close.

image.png.484ca6ba4eda149eddf51f619e9e12c9.png
  • Upvote 1

On 11/14/2017 at 9:44 PM, zonadub said:

A question, since I don't remember the answer...

did most of these injuries occur in games or practice session?

It was a mix. Reyes was in a game. Harris was while running sprints before fall camp even started. Rodgers was in a game. No real pattern that I’ve seen.

It frustrates me to no end to be watching other college football games and you see how other offenses utilize dynamic running backs. The comment about the UCF running back today was along the lines of, "well what position is he?" and the answer, "he's whatever we need him to be on that play, if he's in the backfield he's a running back, if he's out wide he's a wide receiver."

Santiago is that dynamic and yet more often than not we pound him between the tackles on a good 70% of his plays. 

• Upvote 3

8 hours ago, Feff said:

It frustrates me to no end to be watching other college football games and you see how other offenses utilize dynamic running backs. The comment about the UCF running back today was along the lines of, "well what position is he?" and the answer, "he's whatever we need him to be on that play, if he's in the backfield he's a running back, if he's out wide he's a wide receiver."

Santiago is that dynamic and yet more often than not we pound him between the tackles on a good 70% of his plays. 

I think the same could be said of Olivera. He has great hands, probably better than most of our receivers.  As long as we have 3 or 4 capable running backs, we should be throwing the ball to him at least four to five times a game.

On ‎11‎/‎18‎/‎2017 at 11:39 AM, Feff said:

If the Titans in the NFL are able to run sets with Murray, Henry, and Adobe Jackson all in the game at the same time I would think we could pull it off as well. I am not saying have all 3 on the field at the same time all the time but 2 of the 3(Santiago, JJ,  and Oliveira) should be on the field for at least 70% of our play calls.

• Upvote 1

Maybe I should of started a new thread but I'll ask here.  FCS football,

How many players are allowed on a team, like about 100?

When are team players announced for the season, are they final, or can others be added to the team during the season?

How many scholarships allowed, like 63, and can be divided up to no more that 85 players?

Does UND do partial scholly's?

How many can be redshirted as freshman, can a redshirt be used later years without injury, can players play a game early in year and still be red shirted - something like 1/3. 

Trying to get educated in the off season!!!!!

12 hours ago, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

Maybe I should of started a new thread but I'll ask here.  FCS football,

How many players are allowed on a team, like about 100?  In FCS, a maximum of 95 players can practice during fall ball.  Others can join the team once school starts.  I am not sure if there is a limit once school starts - I believe most schools self-impose a limit of not many more than 102-105.

When are team players announced for the season, are they final, or can others be added to the team during the season?  A roster is publicized at the start of fall camp, it is updated at the end of fall camp and again when the walk-ons join the team.  Throughout the season as players come (if eligible, they can be added) and go (mostly go), the roster is updated.  The roster is also updated at the start and again at the end of spring camp.

How many scholarships allowed, like 63, and can be divided up to no more that 85 players?  Correct.

Does UND do partial scholly's?  Yes

How many can be redshirted as freshman (no limit), can a redshirt be used later years without injury (yes), can players play a game early in year and still be red shirted - something like 1/3? (If the player is injured or ill and has played in no more than 30% of the team's games.  This would be a medical hardship rather than a redshirt year.  It is rather rarely approved but a petition for a sixth year of eligibility can be submitted for a player who redshirted and then had injury issues over the four years of eligibility.)

See highlighted responses above.

While waiting for football to start today, I threw on the 1st Sioux football game against Utah I had recorded the end of August just to watch awhile to see the difference between the team at the beginning of the year and the one at the end. 

It was striking.   There was a swagger with that team. They were confident. Physical. Made splash plays. 

33 minutes ago, Parkers Pros said:

While waiting for football to start today, I threw on the 1st Sioux football game against Utah I had recorded the end of August just to watch awhile to see the difference between the team at the beginning of the year and the one at the end. 

It was striking.   There was a swagger with that team. They were confident. Physical. Made splash plays. 

Utah and Missouri State, after that everything went down hill.