SiouxSports.com Forum

2017 Season

F'n Hawks

3 minutes ago, Old School Guy said:

The QB decision may be a bit tougher if we were sitting near or atop the BSC and needing a win to get the playoff seed or a first round bye. But to me, its an easy decision; you let seniors who've proven themselves take the battlefield, if they are physically able.

These last three games are huge for recruiting and perception.

I understand what you're saying. We need to finish strong and win as many games as possible. It would be nice to run the table and I'm not saying we won't. But, as the season winds down there are considerations and decision made above and beyond win/loss columns. Just reality. Happens all the time. Evaluations are also being made with regard to the 2018 roster two deep.

3 hours ago, O Town said:

Not sure of the injuries but Fl State seems to be going down the same road, 2-7 after last night. I think they were ranked #2 starting the season.

And they are down their QB but I'm not sure how much else.

26 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

Zimm looked better than him last week. We need to play to win. I'd rather have Keaton at 100% the last two games than a limping Keaton for part of the last few games. Love Keaton and his heart but we need a qb that's at 100%.

And I think, that as a team leader, Studs would be able to see it's important to let Z get reps especially if he can do more than Studs right now, which I think he can.

2 minutes ago, shep said:

And I think, that as a team leader, Studs would be able to see it's important to let Z get reps especially if he can do more than Studs right now, which I think he can.

Players always want to play. Up to coaches to make the hard decisions. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, shep said:

Players have a lot of pride and determination. Studs is a team first guy, but once its over its over. You want to play every snap possible. You see the look on his face last week when they pulled him due to injury. He was disappointed. He is a warrior.

1 minute ago, Old School Guy said:

Players have a lot of pride and determination. Studs is a team first guy, but once its over its over. You want to play every snap possible. You see the look on his face last week when they pulled him due to injury. He was disappointed. He is a warrior.

No doubt, but from what I've seen from Z, he's the better QB right now. So I hope they don't go with a sort of life time achievement award to Studs and just default to him now. 

24 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

These last three games are huge for recruiting and perception.

If so, what does it say to recruits?  Playing a QB who is not 100% and not letting his successor have needed reps when the playoffs are out of reach?  Starting KS is plain stupid.  It has zero value for the program.

• Like 1

I saw Demon and I think Randloph at Biolife yesterday...for a guy off the team Demon looked like he was still a footballer...since he's selling his plasma he is probably a little low on money for a new non-fb backpack and all that other stuff...including the tag with his number and last name hanging off the backpack. Did Bubba leave a possibility of him rejoining next spring?

Trying to see the silver lining for a season that has so much promise but has turned into a total disaster. Yes we had injuries beyond what any thought was imagineable.  We had guys put into starting roles that were at least a year or two from being ready. 

So, does giving guys game experience before when they are freshmen and sophomores help them moving forward?  Will being thrown into roles early in their career help them be better prepared and make them better in the long run?

just trying to salvage some positives from this season!

• Upvote 1

I took a lot of positives out of last nights game, the final score looked lopsided, but (like most games this year) it kind of snowballed. Yesterday, it was a combination of what has to be the worst 3rd / 4th down defense in the country as far as % of getting a stop and uncharacteristically bad turnovers by Studsrud and the inability to pick up the 4th and short. You make a stop and you get that yard and it's a potential 14 point swing on two plays. As bad as the defense was, it could have easily been 28-27 UND early in the 3rd. 

Simply put, the defense will be night and day better next year, it won't be even close. The weaknesses that opponents have exploited all year won't be there with the injured players at full health. At full health, they'll be great, but even with injuries, it can't be to the level it is this year and they'll still be greatly improved. 

• Upvote 1